Jimmy Johnson to talk about Irvin's scissor attack on Dan Patrick show

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2285580 said:
Are you reading that Book for some Ammo when you come here?:)

Its because Commander fans are more interested in the Cowboys than they are their own team ....

Don Corleone

Reaction score
rcaldw;2285684 said:
All this garbage is why I will always say that Aikman was ultimately the MVP of this team. He had some sanity about him in the midst of an insane situation at times, and he was all about winning football games.

I view it a bit differently. If he was as strong a leader as people say he was, why didn't he set the record straight with some of the knuckleheads on this team?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2285694 said:
I view it a bit differently. If he was as strong a leader as people say he was, why didn't he set the record straight with some of the knuckleheads on this team?

I'm sure he could demonstrate or even vocalize his disgust, but at the end of the day he was an employee of Jerry Jones, just like every other player. He didn't have the power to suspend or release players.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2285710 said:
I'm sure he could demonstrate or even vocalize his disgust, but at the end of the day he was an employee of Jerry Jones, just like every other player. He didn't have the power to suspend or release players.

Sure, but if the star QB ain't happy, then no one's happy. Aikman had a lot of stroke back in those days. I personally believe that Aikman never immersed himself in any of this stuff, and probably wasn't very vocal about it.

All I can say is "wow"! I need to get this book. Just reading about Super Bowl 30 made me wonder how we even won that game. I wonder how the Steeler players and Bill Cowher would react when they read this stuff (assuming they didn't act the same way). They might be scratching their heads wondering how they ever lost that game. Did Neil O'donnell party with Barry Switzer?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2285731 said:
Sure, but if the star QB ain't happy, then no one's happy. Aikman had a lot of stroke back in those days. I personally believe that Aikman never immersed himself in any of this stuff, and probably wasn't very vocal about it.

All I can say is "wow"! I need to get this book. Just reading about Super Bowl 30 made me wonder how we even won that game. I wonder how the Steeler players and Bill Cowher would react when they read this stuff (assuming they didn't act the same way). They might be scratching their heads wondering how they ever lost that game. Did Neil O'donnell party with Barry Switzer?

I guess everyone knew things were that way. I remember even Galloway saying to Nate one time on his show, "I thought you guys had gone too far the week before that Superbowl with the Steelers"... And Nate agreed that they almost had.

But he also hinted that even if Jimmy had been there, they'd have done the same thing. By that point, they were such vets, and such successful ones, that they weren't afraid of discipline anymore. They knew they were so good that no one could do much to them.

And on Irvin, I think everyone knew he was the Godfather of that team. And when the leader of the team is pulling these stunts, how can anyone expect the overall culture not to fall apart?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

The talent level between the Cowboys and Steelers in SB XXX was enormous...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score

I don't think it's that unique that players party hard the week of the Superbowl. I think that team was just unique that they were so open and unapologetic about it. Remember Eugene Robinson getting busted soliciting a prostitute the week of the Superbowl? I was watching a documentary a while back called "Cocaine Cowboys" about the drug smugglers who were trafficking cocaine from South America into the US through Miami in the 70's and 80's, and one of them tells a story how he delivered a big package of nose candy to the hotel of the Steelers when they played the Cowboys in Miami for Superbowl XIII and partied with them the entire week.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chief;2285287 said:
I don't fault Gailey at all.

This type of behavior was well established during the Switzer years before Gailey got there. Things were out of control.

And players getting drunk during training camp is pretty common, I'm sure. The attempted murder thing, though, isn't that common. ;)

I was drunk for plenty of 2 a days in both high school and college.

They generally occur during the summer when nothing else is going on....

You just get sick at practice then all is well after a few minutes, rofl.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2285750 said:
I don't think it's that unique that players party hard the week of the Superbowl. I think that team was just unique that they were so open and unapologetic about it. Remember Eugene Robinson getting busted soliciting a prostitute the week of the Superbowl? I was watching a documentary a while back called "Cocaine Cowboys" about the drug smugglers who were trafficking cocaine from South America into the US through Miami in the 70's and 80's, and one of them tells a story how he delivered a big package of nose candy to the hotel of the Steelers when they played the Cowboys in Miami for Superbowl XIII and partied with them the entire week.

Hollywood Henderson's book has crazy details about his partying. And that was under Landry.

silver

Reaction score
jterrell;2285764 said:
Hollywood Henderson's book has crazy details about his partying. And that was under Landry.

exactly. you don't think guys party now? romo took his girlfriend and other friends to cabo during the playoff bye last year. "it seemed like a good idea at the time" he said. i'm sure the partied hardy down there.

Nav22

Reaction score
I bought the book last night and have read a few chapters, not necessarily in order. Here's what I've picked up...

- Irvin, Harper, Deion, E. Williams, Newton, Clayton Holmes, and many others had lots of sex with various skanks and did a lot of drugs. Much of this was done at the "White House", but they even transported some skanks via limo to Tempe for Super Bowl XXX, so they could bone them during the week (before their wives showed up on Thursday or Friday before the game).

- Jerry was boning a bunch of young skanks too. One former team employee said he was "screwing the same girls Michael Irvin was screwing"... although he might not have meant this literally. Oh, and Jerry was well-aware of the "White House".

- Barry Switzer was hammered all Super Bowl week, and invited everyone he knew to party it up with him in Arizona. His liquor tab exceeded $100K by the end of the week.

- Irvin stabbed McKiver with scissors, yes. But what many people don't realize is that McKiver was the one who got physical with Mike first, after Mike demanded he vacate the barber's chair. Everett shoved Mike, Mike shoved back, Everett punched Mike in the face... then Mike did what he did with the scissors. That doesn't excuse Mike, but I don't think most people knew that it was McKiver who started getting physical.

- Chad Hennings once beat the crap out of Charles Haley after Haley was razzing him. He had had enough of Haley's crap and ran out of patience. Haley didn't mess with Chad much after that.

- Aikman did not like Deion or Switzer. Deion and Switzer did not like Aikman.

- Neil O'Donnell's 2nd INT in the Super Bowl was not his fault. The Cowboys sent an all-out blitz Neil's way and he threw to the spot that Andre Hastings was supposed to be at. Hastings ran the wrong route, and the ball sailed to Larry Brown.

- When Jerry and Tex Schramm sought out Tom Landry to fire him, Landry went into a tirade, blasting the men for the way they handled the situation. He then broke down in tears, just as he did when addressing his team for the final time.

- Bum Bright hated Landry and wanted him gone. In fact, he was selling the team under the condition that Landry would be canned by the new owner(s).

- Landry's brain was very fuzzy by the time he was canned. Forgot many things, such as plays or players' names.

I'm sure there's a lot I'm leaving out. And I've only read a few chapters! Yes, it's a must-read.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Nav22;2285868 said:
- Jerry was boning a bunch of young skanks too. One former team employee said he was "screwing the same girls Michael Irvin was screwing"... although he might not have meant this literally. Oh, and Jerry was well-aware of the "White House".

OMG. Sounds like it was a complete circus.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nav22;2285868 said:
- Jerry was boning a bunch of young skanks too. One former team employee said he was "screwing the same girls Michael Irvin was screwing"... although he might not have meant this literally.
:puke:

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Nav22;2285868 said:
- Landry's brain was very fuzzy by the time he was canned. Forgot many things, such as plays or players' names.

I don't know if I trust Perlman to know the truth about all this, but it would explain why Landry was calling a screen pass every third play. (I know I'm exagerating but it seemed like it.) I loved Landry but really felt like it was time for him to go.

silver

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2285888 said:
I don't know if I trust Perlman to know the truth about all this, but it would explain why Landry was calling a screen pass every third play. (I know I'm exagerating but it seemed like it.) I loved Landry but really felt like it was time for him to go.

the steve pelluer to ray alexander game plan never had a chance.

Nav22

Reaction score
I don't know if I trust Perlman to know the truth about all this, but it would explain why Landry was calling a screen pass every third play.
Kevin Gogan has a quote supporting it in the book. Says they were getting their butts beat each week, and Landry couldn't get anybody's name right... Gogan was always "Grogan".