Jimmy Johson: "Hit Me In the Head With a Hammer - the next time"

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Watching "A Football Life" with Jimmy Johnson again - and he is talking to Bill Belichick on the his boat - and he says the one thing about drafting that I think is forgotten over and over again - "Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy". And Belichick said "you taught me that well"! Truer words have never been spoken. Belickick also said "you can't fix that". Johnson said you can't reason with dumb.......

While I think Dallas has drafted extremely well for about the last decade, there are still a couple of examples of this simple drafting mistake that might fit what Jimmy was talking about.

Anyone care to give examples of draft picks that fit that category above? In some cases the dumb and unreasonable probably only shows up after they are drafted (say the right thing in original interview, have support of a few coaches in College, or fool a few .....)....

Jimmy's psychological training and ability to treat and motivate unique players differently were examples of his amazing coaching.

Bruce Carter.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Watching "A Football Life" with Jimmy Johnson again - and he is talking to Bill Belichick on the his boat - and he says the one thing about drafting that I think is forgotten over and over again - "Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy". And Belichick said "you taught me that well"! Truer words have never been spoken. Belickick also said "you can't fix that". Johnson said you can't reason with dumb.......

While I think Dallas has drafted extremely well for about the last decade, there are still a couple of examples of this simple drafting mistake that might fit what Jimmy was talking about.

Anyone care to give examples of draft picks that fit that category above? In some cases the dumb and unreasonable probably only shows up after they are drafted (say the right thing in original interview, have support of a few coaches in College, or fool a few .....)....

Jimmy's psychological training and ability to treat and motivate unique players differently were examples of his amazing coaching.
I have reservations about this thread not ending well

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
When i started this thread I had Taco and Hill of those recently drafted in mind as questionably lacking in brains/common-sense/rationality - etc......they just don't seem to get it or fit in - at least so far - and not that many opportunities left for them. There have been a few db's going back a bit more than that. NFL level football is pretty complicated- burn a couple of bridges, unless you are a freak talent, it is pretty much over for you...... In the same program - they talked about Haley - he was pretty nutty but could be reasoned with - so risk was easily worth reward per Jimmy........

Thread kind of got taken over by Jimmy versus Jerry - my main point is I think there is a lot of truth to don't waste high round picks on guys that don't have the mental ability in addition to some physical ability - they tend to be the biggest busts....or highest risk to bust/be a problem.....

Aven8

Reaction score
Andre Gurode was a big dummy. That delayed snap would kill me every time.