Jimmy Johson: "Hit Me In the Head With a Hammer - the next time"

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Watching "A Football Life" with Jimmy Johnson again - and he is talking to Bill Belichick on the his boat - and he says the one thing about drafting that I think is forgotten over and over again - "Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy". And Belichick said "you taught me that well"! Truer words have never been spoken. Belickick also said "you can't fix that". Johnson said you can't reason with dumb.......

While I think Dallas has drafted extremely well for about the last decade, there are still a couple of examples of this simple drafting mistake that might fit what Jimmy was talking about.

Anyone care to give examples of draft picks that fit that category above? In some cases the dumb and unreasonable probably only shows up after they are drafted (say the right thing in original interview, have support of a few coaches in College, or fool a few .....)....

Jimmy's psychological training and ability to treat and motivate unique players differently were examples of his amazing coaching.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry was infinitely more willing to welcome players with mindsets that fail to measure up to the expectations of what Jimmy previously had. That much has been clearly obvious by his welcoming of so many players with mental red flags. We've all seen enough of this to know of. Those who didn't might not have been paying attention. The list of the dunderheads we formerly welcomed has been a greviously long one. God, forgive us for that! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
People will just minimize the actions of any current players that fit that category as long as their good and wear a Cowboys uniform.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True for every coach prior to salary caps with the exception of HC's that owned the team.

Jerry would not be the Cowboys owner today had it not been for Jimmy Johnson. Cowboy fans couldn't wait to run "Jed Clampett" out of town.
Money talks!! Bullcrap walked.....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True for every coach prior to salary caps with the exception of HC's that owned the team.

Jerry would not be the Cowboys owner today had it not been for Jimmy Johnson. Cowboy fans couldn't wait to run "Jed Clampett" out of town.
Jimmy was great, but he chose to leave and not be a good employee, so good riddance! When the employee want more attention than the guy that signs the checks, it's time to go.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Watching "A Football Life" with Jimmy Johnson again - and he is talking to Bill Belichick on the his boat - and he says the one thing about drafting that I think is forgotten over and over again - "Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy". And Belichick said "you taught me that well"! Truer words have never been spoken. Belickick also said "you can't fix that". Johnson said you can't reason with dumb.......

While I think Dallas has drafted extremely well for about the last decade, there are still a couple of examples of this simple drafting mistake that might fit what Jimmy was talking about.

Anyone care to give examples of draft picks that fit that category above? In some cases the dumb and unreasonable probably only shows up after they are drafted (say the right thing in original interview, have support of a few coaches in College, or fool a few .....)....

Jimmy's psychological training and ability to treat and motivate unique players differently were examples of his amazing coaching.
Garrett's RKG was a smart guy who was a leader. Just saying.

plasticman

Reaction score
Jimmy was great, but he chose to leave and not be a good employee, so good riddance! When the employee want more attention than the guy that signs the checks, it's time to go.
Jimmy accomplished what he did despite his employer. He was smart enough to realize that the more Jerry tried to involve himself with football related decisions, the less likely Jimmy could maintain success. In retrospect, he was a visionary.

Bill Parcells had the same realization. All the real HC's knew that the team can't be run by some amateur GM. The less the Jones are involved with actual football related decisions, the higher their probability of success. Super Bowls or not, I guarantee that McCarthy is a one contract HC. He's here for his best chance for HOF induction. If he doesn't get one in two years, he will probably resign and quit the NFL.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jimmy accomplished what he did despite his employer. He was smart enough to realize that the more Jerry tried to involve himself with football related decisions, the less likely Jimmy could maintain success. In retrospect, he was a visionary.

Bill Parcells had the same realization. All the real HC's knew that the team can't be run by some amateur GM. The less the Jones are involved with actual football related decisions, the higher their probability of success. Super Bowls or not, I guarantee that McCarthy is a one contract HC. He's here for his best chance for HOF induction. If he doesn't get one in two years, he will probably resign and quit the NFL.
Great post.

Say it again for the apologists in the back.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Like I said, when they think they're better than the guy that signs the checks, they need to go! Pretty simple. Not saying he was wrong, just saying it was time to go. I can't stand when the underlings think they own the ship.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post.

Say it again for the apologists in the back.
Lol! Say it all you want. Coaches have big egos. I left a job because of my ego. It was time to go. Jimmy and Bill had pride and left. Good for them. Proves my point. They're gone and Jerry is still there.
BTW....you're still here.

plasticman

Reaction score
Like I said, when they think they're better than the guy that signs the checks, they need to go! Pretty simple. Not saying he was wrong, just saying it was time to go. I can't stand when the underlings think they own the ship.
Don't ever hire a lawyer.

.....or a plumber, car mechanic, doctor, electrician,.....

If Jerry Jones bought a five star restaurant, he'd make himself the Head Chef. When the real chefs disagreed with his culinary choices it would be time for them to go. Hopefully, they wouldn't get stampeded by the customers on their way out the door.

It was Jerry himself who said in 1989 that "Nobody can own the Dallas Cowboys". He claimed that the team belonged to the fans and he was merely a "caretaker".A professional team is a partnership between the owner and the host city or region. If the city in which the Cowboys operate ever decided to terminate their agreement then Jerry would have to negotiate with a different city. Does this mean Jerry is an employee of the city?

The team's business relationships go far beyond that of employer/employee. When it involves a contract, the proper definition would be that of an individual contractor. Head coaches are offering their services on a limited basis and under specific terms. these terms can be in the contract and therefore enforceable. They can be verbal in which case, one way to resolve the dispute is to end the relationship.

Jimmy wasn't fired. He didn't "walk away". Jerry Jones admitted partial fault by way of a separation agreement that paid Jimmy a lot of money. Employers don't do that for employees.

When it came to what they were there to do, every single coach hired by the Cowboys were better than Jerry Jones.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't ever hire a lawyer.

.....or a plumber, car mechanic, doctor, electrician,.....

If Jerry Jones bought a five star restaurant, he'd make himself the Head Chef. When the real chefs disagreed with his culinary choices it would be time for them to go. Hopefully, they wouldn't get stampeded by the customers on their way out the door.

It was Jerry himself who said in 1989 that "Nobody can own the Dallas Cowboys". He claimed that the team belonged to the fans and he was merely a "caretaker".A professional team is a partnership between the owner and the host city or region. If the city in which the Cowboys operate ever decided to terminate their agreement then Jerry would have to negotiate with a different city. Does this mean Jerry is an employee of the city?

The team's business relationships go far beyond that of employer/employee. When it involves a contract, the proper definition would be that of an individual contractor. Head coaches are offering their services on a limited basis and under specific terms. these terms can be in the contract and therefore enforceable. They can be verbal in which case, one way to resolve the dispute is to end the relationship.

Jimmy wasn't fired. He didn't "walk away". Jerry Jones admitted partial fault by way of a separation agreement that paid Jimmy a lot of money. Employers don't do that for employees.

When it came to what they were there to do, every single coach hired by the Cowboys were better than Jerry Jones.
I've flipped over 30 properties, my employees know how to respect and I compensate them accordingly. I've hired many people, I've also fired many because of their lack of skill or loyalty. I've been on both sides.