JJ Watt signs with Cardinals

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's an interesting move. I think they overpaid in a big way but if he can stay healthy then they have a pretty good roster and in all likelihood would have made the play offs last season had Murray not been playing banged up down the stretch.​
like the Rams, they must think they are very close to winning a Championship.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
saying its fair now tho..he got essentially his retirement pay. At first he wasn't like this, What has he ever won? Great guy, great player...but been hurt alot the last 3 years. How do you pay a guy that much when you know he is on his last legs? WEIRD.

Last legs? Maybe, but he played 16 games in 2018 and 2020. Players can and do have bad luck as far as injuries go, get your arm caught in a pile up of players, etc. and anybody can get hurt. I'm not saying he's the player he was in his prime, but it's not a slam dunk that he'll get hurt again.

And "what has he ever won"? Defensive player of the year 3 times, for one. If by won you mean SBs, no, but as we all know it's a team sport. As far as why he went to the Cardinals, they do have a Pro Bowl quarterback, receiver and safety. The team finished 8-8, certainly with the loss of Hopkins and very possibly Watson, seems more likely the Cards will make the playoffs than the Texans.

I do think he was overpaid, that's pretty obvious. And he may just have gone there because it was the only good offer, we don't know.

Just saying we've seen players thought to be washed up go to other teams and rejuvenate their career, we'll see what happens...

Swagger

Reaction score
like the Rams, they must think they are very close to winning a Championship.
Yes and yet they are in the same division as one another plus the 49ers could be loaded again next season with key injured players back and if either Jimmy G can stay healthy or they draft a QB like Mac Jones at #12. Seahawks are there or thereabouts for the play offs with Russell. That is one tough momma of a division!

Flamma

Reaction score
If free agency was a thing back in the 60s-70's then you would have seen players chase money then too.

Well sure, everyone does. But back in that time they didn't play for the money because there wasn't much money in it. Now that there's big money in it, you attract all types. Not just those who love the game.

Swagger

Reaction score
I liked they Cardinals last season. I thought they weren't far off being a serious team in the play offs until Murray had to play banged up.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Last legs? Maybe, but he played 16 games in 2018 and 2020. Players can and do have bad luck as far as injuries go, get your arm caught in a pile up of players, etc. and anybody can get hurt. I'm not saying he's the player he was in his prime, but it's not a slam dunk that he'll get hurt again.

And "what has he ever won"? Defensive player of the year 3 times, for one. If by won you mean SBs, no, but as we all know it's a team sport. As far as why he went to the Cardinals, they do have a Pro Bowl quarterback, receiver and safety. The team finished 8-8, certainly with the loss of Hopkins and very possibly Watson, seems more likely the Cards will make the playoffs than the Texans.

I do think he was overpaid, that's pretty obvious. And he may just have gone there because it was the only good offer, we don't know.

Just saying we've seen players thought to be washed up go to other teams and rejuvenate their career, we'll see what happens...
its a reach.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Well sure, everyone does. But back in that time they didn't play for the money because there wasn't much money in it. Now that there's big money in it, you attract all types. Not just those who love the game.
Don't kid yourself. The avg NFL salary in 1975 was $56k. The average household income in 1975 was $13,720. The disparity wasn't as great as it is today, but the average player was still making 4x what the average joe was making. Sure, they loved the game, no doubt. But they weren't exactly playing for peanuts.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
its a reach.

Sure, but so was Dallas taking Haley, with his history of team disruption, and didn't that work out?

Teams can and do take risks, I believe it'd be hard to find SB winning teams that didn't take risks.

And leadership has it's own rewards, did you see Watt's press conference where he talked about player effort, etc? I would be willing to bet some of the other Cardinals won't want to risk Watt's wrath if they don't put out max effort, small thing but lots of small things go towards building a SB champ..

Like I said, we'll see how it works out, I'd not be surprised if it turned out well. Or poorly, either is a possibility...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
saying its fair now tho..he got essentially his retirement pay. At first he wasn't like this, What has he ever won? Great guy, great player...but been hurt alot the last 3 years. How do you pay a guy that much when you know he is on his last legs? WEIRD.

Ask the Cardinals. I agree I would not pay that for him given the age and injuries but that was the offer the Cardinals made so evidently in their view there is still enough in the tank that they are willing to offer this contract. Watt taking it does not make him greedy. I'm sure Watt like most players still believe is can get the job done, I just think it is a risky move at the price tag they offer.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don't kid yourself. The avg NFL salary in 1975 was $56k. The average household income in 1975 was $13,720. The disparity wasn't as great as it is today, but the average player was still making 4x what the average joe was making. Sure, they loved the game, no doubt. But they weren't exactly playing for peanuts.

A couple of things. An average when it comes to something like salary is entirely misleading. Because the great players salaries affect that number. A median salary is what you're looking for. It's going to be considerably less than 56k.

On the other note, that 13,720, I guess that depends on what state you live in. No one I knew or lived around made that little. My father made 16 an hour as a union truck driver with mega overtime. My mother made much less as a telephone operator. We were strictly middle class. Lived in a middle class neighborhood. Made nowhere near that little. My best friends father made similar money working at the Pabst plant. His mother NJ Transit. I can't imagine a household income of 13,720 even in 1975. I'm glad I never experienced it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
A couple of things. An average when it comes to something like salary is entirely misleading. Because the great players salaries affect that number. A median salary is what you're looking for. It's going to be considerably less than 56k.

On the other note, that 13,720, I guess that depends on what state you live in. No one I knew or lived around made that little. My father made 16 an hour as a union truck driver with mega overtime. My mother made much less as a telephone operator. We were strictly middle class. Lived in a middle class neighborhood. Made nowhere near that little. My best friends father made similar money working at the Pabst plant. His mother NJ Transit. I can't imagine a household income of 13,720 even in 1975. I'm glad I never experienced it.

Yes that $13,720 figure seems misleading. I graduated college in 1977 and got a job the next year starting at $10,500, and it wasn't a high paying industry (insurance claims).

That's the problem with "averages", there are different types and they can all be used to prove a point...

quickccc

Reaction score
they paid big money for a player on the wrong side of age 30, if he's spelled and paced, they could get a bit more out of him.
The Cardinals also play a 3-4 scheme. and if he has to two gap, ..they are gonna spent up all his energy having to handle double team
on both vs run and pass. And a guy that age that has had to battle injuries in recent past that's clearly slowed him,

If Watts is in a one gap 3-4 scheme, its more about slanting and upfield penetration than holding blocks to read and react to plays
in taking on double teams. It's not quite as taxing and toll.
They need to have a guy taking behind him taking some percentage of snaps and toll off of him to stretch and pace out his remaining time out.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes that $13,720 figure seems misleading. I graduated college in 1977 and got a job the next year starting at $10,500, and it wasn't a high paying industry (insurance claims).

That's the problem with "averages", there are different types and they can all be used to prove a point...

Yeah, median is always a much better representation than average. One statistic can adversely affect an average of 1000. The median would have zero affect. Especially when you're taking a country as a whole. I dated a Shoprite cashier in 1983 that made 30k a year when you included OT. Just sayin'. That 13k a year in 1975 would be closer to semi struggling working class. At least where I lived.

quickccc

Reaction score
Good for him but clearly winning wasn’t his number 1 motivation if his choice is the Arizona cardinals

the green is his motivation. PERIOD. Love of the game and winning isn't job 1 to them. Its a different type of mindset in todays players.

Money motivation only ? Dunno how are you guys figuring that ? Watt is putting himself in position to have his cake and eat it too.
He can help Kyle Murray's team become more of a winner and playoff contender. He is joining and helping out Chandler Jones on a team that desperately needs defensive help.
And he's choosing a team that is not having the chaos that is clearly in Houston.
He's playing it on His Term, ..not Fans' terms.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Money motivation only ? Dunno how are you guys figuring that ? Watt is putting himself in position to have his cake and eat it too.
He can help Kyle Murray's team become more of a winner and playoff contender. He is joining and helping out Chandler Jones on a team that desperately needs defensive help.
And he's choosing a team that is not having the chaos that is clearly in Houston.
He's playing it on His Term, ..not Fans' terms.

that’s great and why I said good for him- glad he’s doing it on “his terms” (your words lol) the point is when teams like the colts, buffalo, Tennessee, Pittsburgh etc who are all well run playoffs teams ready to win now and you left houston because you didn’t wanna waste the last productive years of your career not winning - going to a team that’s the 3rd best in their own division is a bit suprising.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
that’s great and why I said good for him- glad he’s doing it on “his terms” (your words lol) the point is when teams like the colts, buffalo, Tennessee, Pittsburgh etc who are all well run playoffs teams ready to win now and you left houston because you didn’t wanna waste the last productive years of your career not winning - going to a team that’s the 3rd best in their own division is a bit suprising.

Personally I think Cards have a good chance to surpassing Rams and Seahawks especially with the drama building in Seattle which with or without Wilson have holes on that team and not much cap space and no 1st rd pick to help fill holes.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Personally I think Cards have a good chance to surpassing Rams and Seahawks especially with the drama building in Seattle which with or without Wilson have holes on that team and not much cap space and no 1st rd pick to help fill holes.

have to do it first but I respect your opinion....the 49ers could also get healthy be dominant again. Sure the cards could but it just isn’t the 1st or 5th place I’d pick if I was in his position

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Frankly would be more interested in adding Ndamukong Suh you are looking at 6 to 7 mill and he is coming off a good full season with 6 sacks and strong play up the middle. He has not missed a game in the last 2 years.
this head stomper is still around?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
have to do it first but I respect your opinion....the 49ers could also get healthy be dominant again. Sure the cards could but it just isn’t the 1st or 5th place I’d pick if I was in his position

Just saying many teams are not far away and I think Cards are an up and coming with guys like Murray and Hopkins on offense but need help on defense to take the next step.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
this head stomper is still around?

Yeah and just got a SB ring in TB. Very productive year last season and seems to have controlled himself since his early years. Last season at DT had 6 sacks and helped a TB run defense.