JJ Watt signs with Cardinals

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JJ Watt has a lot of pride. He is a 3 time defensive player of the year. He will be highly motivated to show his brother is not the best football player in the family. He will work his butt off.
JJ will never be as good as TJ any more. Pride has nothing to do with it. 3 time DPOY has nothing to do with it. Motivation level has nothing to do with it. Working his butt has nothing to do with it. It's about level of talent. At this point and forever it's TJ > JJ.

Side note - just wait until you see the contract extension TJ gets. It will be HUGE.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JJ will never be as good as TJ any more. Pride has nothing to do with it. 3 time DPOY has nothing to do with it. Motivation level has nothing to do with it. Working his butt has nothing to do with it. It's about level of talent. At this point and forever it's TJ > JJ.

Side note - just wait until you see the contract extension TJ gets. It will be HUGE.

age and injury history though has a lot to do with it. JJ in his prime was a complete beast but injuries have taken their toll. 2018 he did record 16 sacks but these past 2 season he has not played close to that level. Cards are clearly betting on more left in the tank to pay him as they have

Rayman70

Reaction score
And Cowboys fans react by scoffing at the terms of the deal while another team improves, or at least tries to improve while we do what we do.
I am not scoffing. I only point out what the facts are. I love Watt for the right price. Kudos to him for maximizing his pay. Just saying, not sure that was a wise move investing all that guaranteed money on a player thats struggled to stay on the field over the last 3 years. At least zona is going all in. Just really pricey.

Paradox

Reaction score
It's a proper scheme fit with the 3-4. He's reunited with Hopkins and his old coach. The Cards aren't exactly rolling in cap space, so I'm not sure how that worked out. But now they're no longer a player away from being playoff bound if Watt can stay healthy. And I know that's a big if. He got mucho dinero and landed on a contender. If Wilson leaves, they'll own the division.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No state income tax in Arizona? Can get a bonzo house in the desert for $2.5-3m, what’s not to like?

No state income tax in Texas either. I have a feeling Watt will return to Houston on a 1 day contract to retire as a Texan.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If free agency was a thing back in the 60s-70's then you would have seen players chase money then too.
true and for good reason...lol..they had full time jobs when they weren't playing in the NFL. They were truly average joes back then that loved playing football for fun. Now its changed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
No doubt money is important but I have watched Watt from Day 1 in Houston and the man has given his all and his body has taken the toll. I think that is a bit unfair claiming all he cares about is money
saying its fair now tho..he got essentially his retirement pay. At first he wasn't like this, What has he ever won? Great guy, great player...but been hurt alot the last 3 years. How do you pay a guy that much when you know he is on his last legs? WEIRD.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He’s standing next to a 6’6 Watt and a Karl-Anthony Towns (I believe, sure looks like him) who is like 6’11 today (don’t know how tall he was back then).
wow, that was Towns? SHIET..on Kentucky he looked shorter lol..guess when your playing with Trees it makes ya look average height. Your correct, dude is tall...much taller looking than I thought. But yeah, Kyler is indeed a short QB...gets him in trouble sometimes,but still very dangerous.

Swagger

Reaction score
It's an interesting move. I think they overpaid in a big way but if he can stay healthy then they have a pretty good roster and in all likelihood would have made the play offs last season had Murray not been playing banged up down the stretch.​