JJT: Arrogant offseason approach has Cowboys at bottom of NFC

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Arrogant offseason approach has Cowboys at bottom of NFC
39m
i

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys find themselves in last place in the NFC East and tied for the worst record in the NFC because they took an arrogant approach to the offseason.
It was easy to do because they finished 12-4 and won the division behind the game’s best offensive line in 2014. DeMarco Murray produced a franchise-record 1,845 rushing yards and Tony Romo had never played better when it mattered most.

And that’s why they believed their own hype.

The Cowboys pride themselves on making decisions collectively, so you can blame the quartet of owner/general manager Jerry Jones, vice president Stephen Jones, head coach Jason Garrett and scouting director Will McClay in any order you choose.

Brandon Weeden the Cowboys’ backup quarterback, because it’s obvious Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan had zero confidence in Weeden.

They gave him a Pop Warner game plan, then wondered why he didn’t produce before demoting him as starter after three winless starts. Matt Cassel, Weeden’s replacement, was acquired the week Romo broke his collarbone and the Cowboys knew they would need a starter for nearly two months.

Cassel has a 1-5 record as a starter, with five touchdowns, six interceptions and a 73.5 passer rating overall this season. He has flunked a quarterback’s most important job, which is getting the team into the end zone.

The Cowboys have scored one touchdown or less in four of his six starts. Pathetic.
A lot of the Cowboys’ offensive issues besides the obvious absence of Romo can be traced to the team's negotiating tactics with Murray. Clearly, the Cowboys were afraid of his age and his workload, which included more than 400 touches in 2014, so there was no way they were going to give him the five-year, $40 million deal he received from Philadelphia.

Matching Philadelphia’s deal wasn’t the problem. The Cowboys never really gave Murray a legitimate offer until free agency began. Everybody knows that if you allow a player to reach unrestricted free agency, the odds of him returning are virtually nil.

The Cowboys figured their offensive line was so good that even Joseph Randle, released after Week 6, and a running back by committee could get the job done.

They haven’t.

The running game may rank in the top half of the NFL, but it has been unreliable all season. The Cowboys have struggled in short-yardage situations and haven't controlled games with their running game the way they did last season.

The inconsistent running game has affected their ability to be productive with play-action passes and their deep passing game. See, it all works together.

Ignore the stats, which say the Cowboys have rushed for a 4.4 average on 346 carries and Darren McFadden has 798 yards and a 4.2 yards-per-carry average. If you’ve watched the games, you know the truth: They miss Murray -- or somebody like him.

The Cowboys eschewed selecting a runner in the best running back draft in years last spring, but it’s clear they need a starter. McFadden has been solid, but this team needs more than that because it wants a dominant running game.

In the process, the Cowboys have found out this line isn’t so good that anyone can gain 1,300 yards running behind it. You could not convince them of that last spring.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...fseason-approach-has-cowboys-at-bottom-of-nfc

khiladi

Reaction score
JJT calling out Garrett.. Who would have thought? Maybe we have finally reached those times and there is a silver lining..

That being said, Dallas was 31st in play-action when Garrett was controlling the offense and only increased marginally last year to like 27. Murray being gone has little to do with out use of play-action.

Our offensive playbook and design is trash..

khiladi

Reaction score
Running as a general rule opens up the passing game and moves the chains when the defense thinks your going to run, but you pass and vice versa.

It doesn't open up the passing game if the defense knows your going to run and the hole your trying to target. Of your running everytime on first down, your setting yourself up for bad chain management.

Yeah, you can wear an opposing defense out if you run a lot, but only if you can move the chains and your not doing that consistently on every series without passing successfully.

Every time I hear Garrett talking about the run, I just want to punch him. His whole first tenure as OC and HC was avoiding the run and because of last year, he's saying the exact opposite. The guy is always late to the game and utterly clueless, with no sense of originality. It's not about a mathematical formula, it's about deceiving the defense.

Reaction score
Running as a general rule opens up the passing game and moves the chains when the defense thinks your going to run, but you pass and vice versa.

It doesn't open up the passing game if the defense knows your going to run and the hole your trying to target. Of your running everytime on first down, your setting yourself up for bad chain management.

Yeah, you can wear an opposing defense out if you run a lot, but only if you can move the chains and your not doing that consistently on every series without passing successfully.

Every time I hear Garrett talking about the run, I just want to punch him. His whole first tenure as OC and HC was avoiding the run and because of last year, he's saying the exact opposite. The guy is always late to the game and utterly clueless, with no sense of originality. It's not about a mathematical formula, it's about deceiving the defense.

The problem is that all of this falls apart if you don't have a QB the defense respects. With Weeden/Cassel running this debacle, all defenses have to do is load up to stop the run for force the QB to beat them. And they can't. Defenses know they can't.

So all these wonderful offensive philosophies go out the window when you don't have a QB who can execute it. Run on first down? Pass on first down? Play action? Drop kick?

It doesn't matter when you QB is worthless.

adam3313

Reaction score
I pray this offseason, we can somehow bring in Lamar Miller. Would work wonders in our offense, I believe.

Reaction score
Garretts philosophy was fine last year when Romo was healthy and playing at an MVP level with Murray demanding the respect of the defense running the ball.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would be great to see/hear a little more pressure from the Dallas media on Jerry to make the big change.

None of them have the guts to do it. The old man will lose his temper and the media will lose their courage to continue any further. I've seen it happen countless times. They don't want to lose their access to the team.

Give me 5 minutes with Jerry and Stephen on ESPN in an open forum and I'll expose them as the complete frauds and the #1 enemy to the Dallas Cowboys that they really are. All of this 20 years, and I mean All. Of. It., has to do with an egotistical maniacal owner who bought this team and has held it hostage to appease his own ego. Until death do they part. Oh, and I have my chubby son waiting in the wings to continue this crime when I'm gone.

Any Cowboys fan with at least half of a functioning brain should hate his existence.

~burp~ Now that that's out of my system. Go Cowboys! Who do you think we should draft this year?

Junglist

Reaction score
Would be great to see/hear a little more pressure from the Dallas media on Jerry to make the big change.

They were fielding calls on the G-bag Nation yesterday (105.3 The Fan), and Gavin Dawson says we can't blame Garrett. I actually started to dial the number, but decided not to. It's unbelievable how year after year he gets a pass.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Arrogant offseason approach has Cowboys at bottom of NFC
39m
i

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys find themselves in last place in the NFC East and tied for the worst record in the NFC because they took an arrogant approach to the offseason.
It was easy to do because they finished 12-4 and won the division behind the game’s best offensive line in 2014. DeMarco Murray produced a franchise-record 1,845 rushing yards and Tony Romo had never played better when it mattered most.

And that’s why they believed their own hype.

The Cowboys pride themselves on making decisions collectively, so you can blame the quartet of owner/general manager Jerry Jones, vice president Stephen Jones, head coach Jason Garrett and scouting director Will McClay in any order you choose.

Brandon Weeden the Cowboys’ backup quarterback, because it’s obvious Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan had zero confidence in Weeden.

They gave him a Pop Warner game plan, then wondered why he didn’t produce before demoting him as starter after three winless starts. Matt Cassel, Weeden’s replacement, was acquired the week Romo broke his collarbone and the Cowboys knew they would need a starter for nearly two months.

Cassel has a 1-5 record as a starter, with five touchdowns, six interceptions and a 73.5 passer rating overall this season. He has flunked a quarterback’s most important job, which is getting the team into the end zone.

The Cowboys have scored one touchdown or less in four of his six starts. Pathetic.
A lot of the Cowboys’ offensive issues besides the obvious absence of Romo can be traced to the team's negotiating tactics with Murray. Clearly, the Cowboys were afraid of his age and his workload, which included more than 400 touches in 2014, so there was no way they were going to give him the five-year, $40 million deal he received from Philadelphia.

Matching Philadelphia’s deal wasn’t the problem. The Cowboys never really gave Murray a legitimate offer until free agency began. Everybody knows that if you allow a player to reach unrestricted free agency, the odds of him returning are virtually nil.

The Cowboys figured their offensive line was so good that even Joseph Randle, released after Week 6, and a running back by committee could get the job done.

They haven’t.

The running game may rank in the top half of the NFL, but it has been unreliable all season. The Cowboys have struggled in short-yardage situations and haven't controlled games with their running game the way they did last season.

The inconsistent running game has affected their ability to be productive with play-action passes and their deep passing game. See, it all works together.

Ignore the stats, which say the Cowboys have rushed for a 4.4 average on 346 carries and Darren McFadden has 798 yards and a 4.2 yards-per-carry average. If you’ve watched the games, you know the truth: They miss Murray -- or somebody like him.

The Cowboys eschewed selecting a runner in the best running back draft in years last spring, but it’s clear they need a starter. McFadden has been solid, but this team needs more than that because it wants a dominant running game.

In the process, the Cowboys have found out this line isn’t so good that anyone can gain 1,300 yards running behind it. You could not convince them of that last spring.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...fseason-approach-has-cowboys-at-bottom-of-nfc

Get out of my head JJT. Get out!!!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were fielding calls on the G-bag Nation yesterday (105.3 The Fan), and Gavin Dawson says we can't blame Garrett. I actually started to dial the number, but decided not to. It's unbelievable how year after year he gets a pass.

Wait. Timeout. You're a diehard Cowboys fan, right? You must be to be in here. And you're sitting there flabbergasted that the HEAD COACH IN DALLAS gets a free pass year after year?

This is the issue you see? When, oh when, will the dang head coach finally gets some blame with the Cowboys?