JJT: Philadelphia's Success Puts Spotlight on Jason Garrett

dfense

Reaction score
Peterson doesn't aggressively find free agents and depth. The Eagles D was already stout in the front 7. He was a 7-9 coach last year. Depth depth depth. His GM should get most of the credit.

And not for nothing, but they were one play from Atlanta eliminating them in their first playoff game. There is some luck involved.

Sydla

Reaction score
Peterson doesn't aggressively find free agents and depth. The Eagles D was already stout in the front 7. He was a 7-9 coach last year. Depth depth depth. His GM should get most of the credit.

And not for nothing, but they were one play from Atlanta eliminating them in their first playoff game. There is some luck involved.

And if that was us, there is no chance in hell you guys would be pointing out how lucky garrett was to beat Atlanta.

Dre11

Reaction score

Exactly. But you know these fools will jump on the first ship of turds they see, if it'll push their narrative....lol

JustChip

Reaction score

While I agree with your point on luck, I also am reminded of what Gary Player said - "the harder you practice, the luckier you get." Luck by itself can't take team to where they need to be, but Lady Luck will make the marginal difference for a good team. But to ignore the part luck plays in our perceptions is ridiculous. I've seen comments to the effect that Zimmer is better than Garrett because he has already gotten further in the playoffs, but he wouldn't have with out a completely lucky play. I'm not saying Zimmer isn't better than Garrett, he may be, although you can't really know for sure because they're in different circumstances. The point is that some people are using the Vikings' Divisional win as validation that Zimmer is better.

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
Garrett's problem is that he cannot overcome that because he thinks and acts like an employee who is "comfortable with ambiguity".

He buys into the organizational direction pretty consistently. He plays it safe and sound, the best he can. He survives as his robotic brain directs him to.

Yea but remember that this off season he was given the new chip from Intel Corp. and also a new systems update with state of the art software. The only emotion it does not come with is frustration, remember JG mentioned in a presser this year that frustration is a wasted emotion.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

"Luck is the crossroads of preparation and opportunity"............................Seneca, Roman Philospher

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How long does he get? 15 years?

Fix the personnel problem on defense and we’ll see.

Why change the head coach out at all if you like the work he’s doing and you have good reason to believe the issue is elsewhere?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Fix the personnel problem on defense and we’ll see.

Why change the head coach out at all if you like the work he’s doing and you have good reason to believe the issue is elsewhere?

So you're saying that the head coach of the team has no input on 1 of 3 phases of the game? That's asinine.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It’s convenient, then, that I didn’t say anything of the sort.
Tell me what you think his coaching strengths are. That is, things he’s above average in or some that he’s average in. If he’s above average in any category, in your opinion, please share.

I don’t want to hate him. I really don’t. I’ve always given him credit for guiding us through a rebuild without being terrible. I’m not sure that wasn’t just one of the most underrated qb’s of all time that was responsible for that.

This sticks out to me as glaring evidence that Garrett is just not a very good coach with limited knowledge of the overall strategy and “adjustments” that are necessary to be an average coach: He rarely seems to be “coaching” during the game. I don’t see him meeting with any players or position groups trying to help them adjust. I never see him looking at pics or iPads and trying to figure anything out. What does he do during the game? I won’t say he cheer leads, but it’s close.

How about during the Alanta game him going over to Green and trying to help him. It’s clear he wasn’t going to adjust the gameplan to help him so he should coach him. If he had the knowledge to do that.Thats one example of many.

Also, during every payoff game or win or go home game we have started very flat. A sign of not being prepared mentally and or strategically.

His near constant clapping gets joked on a lot. Does he do that because he doesn’t know what else to do?

I’d like to understand what you see in him and I do respect your opinion.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I noticed he doesn’t mention the lack of depth the Cowboys have which has nothing to do with JG. He doesn’t mention they have a GM that goes out and makes great FA pick ups. He doesn’t mention that Jerry and Co let an entire veteran secondary walk. He doesn’t mention that the Eagles have a pretty quality veteran qb as a back up, not Brandon Weeden. The list goes on and on.

JG definitely deserves some blame but Jerry and Co deserve the most IMO. The one constant over the past 20+ years of mediocrity and misery has been Jerry Jones.

Strange that many supporters of JG have said he helped shape the roster and that the “process” was getting rid of people and bringing in his own. Now it’s not?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
no, it's Garrett is bringing in super star while Jerry keeps bringing in crap.. lmao.. he's already rebuild Wades mess, now he has to rebuild his own.. lmao.. oh yeah "everybody was hurt" now we need better coaches and a good defense that can hold teams down to 10 points. I think even shaky magoo dak can put up 7 points. We just need baily to put up six and we will be in the super bowl. *smh*

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
It's amazing how much better a coach gets overnight when his players get better.

We saw the same thing with Garrett when he went from clueless idiot at 4-12 to NFL Coach of the Year at 13-3 by adding a couple of good players to the roster.

The clueless were the ones who voted him coach of the year.

The Tuna took a 5-11 team to 10-6, mostly with just coaching. As mentioned earlier, Jimmy and Barry won superbowls, despite Jerry

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If only Garrett had some control over the defense. If only he had a job title that gave him some measure of team-wide control.

Right?

You have to feel bad for the poor guy. A genius being held hostage. Powerless to affect the fate of the team he's supposedly the head coach for.