JJT: Philadelphia's Success Puts Spotlight on Jason Garrett

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think the spotlight is on Pederson. He's in the Super Bowl after all.

Garrett is just happy to collect $6 million per year because he sucks and has been gifted everything.

Hey, this is not fair. He paid his dues with Miami for a year. Err. He is self made, it is not like his father was not part of the good ol' boys club. Wait.

The NFL is full of nepotism, but Garrett was practically a head coach from jump street had Jones not hired a poor soul like Phillips and just waited for the inevitable.

He's the opposite of meritocracy which is what this organization has become. That's why they haven't won anything of significance in twenty years.
I wish you were wrong.

But it is there. From the head coach to the revered tight end. It is far too political and not enough about winning.

Sentimentality and optimism over things past their prime are serious issues.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Exactly.

And the Philly D held Minne to 7pts, a number which they matched themselves. In fact, Philly’s first three TDS came after two excellent-field-position takeaways and a pick-6.

You Garrett fan boys do realize that defense is actually part of the team, right?

You guys are talking like its some weird concept that only certain coaches have and everybody else doesn't.

Yea, Philly has a defense because the head coach helped build it.............I know this is a foreign concept that the head coach is actually responsible for the ENTIRE team, but that is how pro sports works.

Unless you guys want to admit that Garrett is just a glorified cheerleader and has no input or control over personnel. If you want to make that stipulation that he is just a puppet with no actual control over anything, then I will agree that its not his fault.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they took strides to making some quality picks for the secondary last year. I was disappointed that our big bad DL guru settled on Charlton.

We'll see on that.

But I think you are painting a picture on the D spending resources that is not exactly true.

2017 - Three premium picks on defense (Charlton, Awuzie, Lewis)
2016 - Two premium picks on defense (Smith, Collins)
2015 - Two premium picks on defense (Jones, Gregory)
2014 - One premium pick plus the traded pick (Lawrence).

I am not even getting into the Morris Claiborne debacle which basically was a decision that ruined at least one entire draft.

Now if you are suggesting free agency to help out, I am all for hearing about that. But the draft has been about as reasonable of a commitment as you could ask for over the past four drafts.

Right now, we've devoted 58% of our cap resources on offense. Compared to 31% on defense. We're 4th in the league overall on offensive spending. 29th on defensive spending.

Of our defensive starters, 1 (Byron Jones) was a first round pick. Two (Demarcus Lawrence, Sean Lee) were 2nd round picks. Crawford and Collins were 3rd rounders.

Offensively, we've got 6 first round picks (Dez, Elliot, Frederick, Tyron, Martin, and Cooper) if you count the draft position of FA signees. Then Witten, Terrence Williams, and Dak from the lower rounds.

It's pretty lopsided. Last year was definitely the first year that marked a change, and that's because the offense was both deep and competitive. We'll see if they stick with it. We're hearing rumblings about drafting an OL or a WR already. They'd better not.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's amazing how much methodical mediocrity is forgiven in this organization.

If you're talking about the defensive performance that's progressed from terrible all the way to mediocre, I completely agree. Why do we keep making excuses for it?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously, you are wired differently than I am. I would never use analytics to explain everything. If it were that simple, teams would just employ the best number crunchers they could and win.

Many teams recognize analytics/numbers and they cannot be ignored as total nonsense. But it is a big big mistake to overestimate cold numbers and underestimate the emotional aspect of this game. That was the point I was alluding to earlier with the "emotional intelligence" thing from Lurie.

And yet, it's the New England Patriots who represent the most forward-thinking analytics and measurements team in the league, and they have been known that way for a very long time at this point. They might be on to something.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Pretty important to note for all you new members, who I am sure come in with your own histories.

I am curious to some of you to share how the Garrett experience has been for you.
Well it hasn't been a purple haze...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I thought Garrett was "building the team"? No?

Say it ain't so :popcorn:

Nope..............apparently the new talking point with the Garrett fan boys is that Garrett does absolutely nothing on this team.

Don't like the play calling of passing three times inside the five yard line, take it up with Scotty since Garrett doesn't call plays.

Don't like that the defense is not pulling its weight, take it up with old man Rod, Garrett doesn't coach defense.

Don't like the level of talent of the team, take it up with Will McClay, Garrett is not involved in scouting.

Don't like the draft picks that are being made, take it up with Jerry, Garrett is not the GM.

So what is it that Garrett actually does on this team if he has no say in offense, defense, scouting, and the draft?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I believe he is a free agent though. This is an opportunity to bring in someone mediocre. :)
power-of-prayer-gif.gif

Mannix

Reaction score
JJT is by far the cockiest guy ever to pick up a mic in DFW....."Hey JT, don't forget to pick up those wings on your way home"

That being said, I totally agree with Newie....and BTW, it's still not too late for Jerrah to do the right thing and can The Clapping Carrot.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
To all the people defending Garrett and saying it's not coaching, riddle me this: How come we barely beat an Eagle team that literally played its second and third string for 52 minutes of a game? Are you saying their backups are as good as our starters? Are you saying that the back end of their roster, one step above the waterboy and the guy handing out the towels, is as good or almost as good as our first string? If the answer is "no'" then yeah, it's coaching.

Pants

Reaction score
Nope..............apparently the new talking point with the Garrett fan boys is that Garrett does absolutely nothing on this team.

Don't like the play calling of passing three times inside the five yard line, take it up with Scotty since Garrett doesn't call plays.

Don't like that the defense is not pulling its weight, take it up with old man Rod, Garrett doesn't coach defense.

Don't like the level of talent of the team, take it up with Will McClay, Garrett is not involved in scouting.

Don't like the draft picks that are being made, take it up with Jerry, Garrett is not the GM.

So what is it that Garrett actually does on this team if he has no say in offense, defense, scouting, and the draft?

hands-clapping-applause-illustration-isolated-white-background-49355706.jpg

MarkP88

Reaction score
To all the people defending Garrett and saying it's not coaching, riddle me this: How come we barely beat an Eagle team that literally played its second and third string for 52 minutes of a game? Are you saying their backups are as good as our starters? Are you saying that the back end of their roster, one step above the waterboy and the guy handing out the towels, is as good or almost as good as our first string? If the answer is "no'" then yeah, it's coaching.
Do you realize it was cold that day?