Audio: JJT whispers from the Star 1/17

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I disagree. They’ve got next to nothing at defensive tackle and end, largely due to those two misses.
Right but that wast gonna change. Well if they would’ve put TJ Watt at end than yeah there’s a argument there but last season Quinn made up for that. And Hill..there wasn’t anyone else at that spot. Those two spots definitely cost us either a starter or reserve player but it didn’t hurt this team. This team couldn’t even coach the talent it already had. Missing on those two picks weren’t why we went 8-8.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right but that wast gonna change. Well if they would’ve put TJ Watt at end than yeah there’s a argument there but last season Quinn made up for that. And Hill..there wasn’t anyone else at that spot. Those two spots definitely cost us either a starter or reserve player but it didn’t hurt this team. This team couldn’t even coach the talent it already had. Missing on those two picks weren’t why we went 8-8.

I'm not going to debate whether or not it would have changed that 8-8 record. None of us can say. But this team is in dire need of defensive line help in large part due to those two huge misses. Add in drafting Randy Gregory and counting on David Irving and it's easy to see why they were left scrambling and trading for Quinn and Michael Bennett for short term fixes. Now they have neither of those two, along with other free agents like Collins and the cupboard is bare.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
interesting in this week 01/17/20 Friday's version of Whispers from the Star per Jean Jacque Taylor- Jam Session:

- Kellen may have had too many "voices' in his ear during his 1st year as OC when things wasn't going as planned. Speculation that Garrett (passive-aggressive) may have been one of them.
while McCarthy likes K-Moore as an OC, he could keep Kellen on a short leach.

I heard the RB was in his ear too.

I like these podcasts.
http://www.kesn1033.com/2020/01/03/whispers-from-the-star-2019-season-end/

Quotes from different players:
"The head coach was afraid of offending players"
"We even told some vets they need to speak up about things, because the head coach don't listen to nobody..."

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which proves nothing about the coaches overruling the scouts board in 2017 and 2019.

You can't "prove" anything b/c we aren't in the room. But, it is far more likely that they handled the 2017 and 2019 drafts in the same manner they have handled previous drafts............unless you can "prove" otherwise. If you read something that said Marinelli over reached the scouting evaluations, please do post.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good article. It says that after Tak McKinley was drafted by Atlanta, McLay , using marinelli's template for the position, identified TJ Watt as the next best prospect. Garret was apparently adamant about taco charlton. So, Taco is Garret's fault which I didn't know. I always blamed Marinelli for that one. So, JG didn't follow McLay's board. BUT, its not like Taco was rated as a 3rd round pick or a poor player. The scouts misevaluated him too.

My only point here is that the scouts set the board and the team uses it as a guide. If the scouts had rated Taco poorly, Garret wouldn't have been allowed to make him our 1st round pick. He didn't have that kind of pull. They are all in the war room looking at the same draft board. So, they must have had taco rated in the same draft vicinity as Watt. But, yeah, the whole war room situation is dysfunctional b/c there is no leader. It sounds like Jerry sits there as judge and listens to who makes the most convincing and passionate argument for the player they want.

CowboyJ70

Reaction score
Good article. It says that after Tak McKinley was drafted by Atlanta, McLay , using marinelli's template for the position, identified TJ Watt as the next best prospect. Garret was apparently adamant about taco charlton. So, Taco is Garret's fault which I didn't know. I always blamed Marinelli for that one. So, JG didn't follow McLay's board. BUT, its not like Taco was rated as a 3rd round pick or a poor player. The scouts misevaluated him too.

My only point here is that the scouts set the board and the team uses it as a guide. If the scouts had rated Taco poorly, Garret wouldn't have been allowed to make him our 1st round pick. He didn't have that kind of pull. They are all in the war room looking at the same draft board. So, they must have had taco rated in the same draft vicinity as Watt. But, yeah, the whole war room situation is dysfunctional b/c there is no leader. It sounds like Jerry sits there as judge and listens to who makes the most convincing and passionate argument for the player they want.
This last sentence ☝️is 100% spot on.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Un****ing believable. Our first round pick yall

It was a weird pick to begin with, considering there were far better players available. Maybe Marinelli will want him on the Raiders and will convince Gruden and Mayock to trade for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From what I know of the situation with Taco, it was a Marinelli call with a Garrett co-sign.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I know of the situation with Taco, it was a Marinelli call with a Garrett co-sign.

The article you posted said Garret "pounded the table" for taco. It said nothing about Marinelli. It said that McClay used Marinelli's specifications for the position to determine Watt the better player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article you posted said Garret "pounded the table" for taco. It said nothing about Marinelli. It said that McClay used Marinelli's specifications for the position to determine Watt the better player.

That one did. And other sources have said it went like I said it did. I'm confident that I know the truth of it. Yiu can feel free to decide for yourself based on the available information.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That one did. And other sources have said it went like I said it did. I'm confident that I know the truth of it. Yiu can feel free to decide for yourself based on the available information.

I had decided........... and then I read your article and changed my mind. Opinions are supposed to change as new information comes to light. Garret pounding the table is a pretty definitive event. I guess its possible he was going to bat for Rod and his preference......... but you can't let the scouts off the hook for having taco as high as they apparently did.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
interesting in this week 01/17/20 Friday's version of Whispers from the Star per Jean Jacque Taylor- Jam Session:

- Kellen may have had too many "voices' in his ear during his 1st year as OC when things wasn't going as planned. Speculation that Garrett (passive-aggressive) may have been one of them.
while McCarthy likes K-Moore as an OC, he could keep Kellen on a short leach.

- There was never any considerations regarding Witten immediately being the new full time TE coach, maybe he needs to 'earn his stripe' first s as he moves up the ladder as an asst. coach
elsewhere. (quality control?) should coaching for McCarthy be anything serious. and it was peculiar seeing Witten do a lap run around Cowboys Stadium.
Was it a farewell lap ? and BTW last year was his lowest number of recs-yrds since rookie yr.

- Brad Nusseinmeher the new QB coach has a lot of coaching experience, he knew McCarthy, they thought he was a flat better pure coach than Kitna, he's been around as an offensive asst.as an OC
involved and worked with QBs, and had familiarity with Dak, Kellen, and the success of the offense may have played a part in Brad getting promoted to QB coach, which forced Kitna out the door.

- Trysten Hill - coming from two sources when asked if Hill showed anything at the end: one source says he did not do a G-Damn thang.- Knock on hill coming out was immature, don't always play hard,
and this source says Hill was same guy at the end as he was at the beginning .... while another source says he actually showed maturity and he kept coming back, he showed some swag,

- of all assist coaches let go, Columbo seem to be most upset. Kitna waited to hear what will happen, while Columbo asked McCarthy to meet with him. He was very disappointed that he was not
retained per outstanding OL performance in '19. and McCarthy could not even look him in the eyes during their meeting; questioned team loyalty. .

Like always when "insiders" say stuff without any direct quotes from anyone involved I don't believe any of it. It's just speculation and you, me and everyone else can speculate too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had decided........... and then I read your article and changed my mind. Opinions are supposed to change as new information comes to light. Garret pounding the table is a pretty definitive event. I guess its possible he was going to bat for Rod and his preference......... but you can't let the scouts off the hook for having taco as high as they apparently did.

I "let them off the hook" for having TJ Watt as the player the Cowboys should have drafted. And I blame Marinelli and then Garrett for overruling them.