Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (5/1)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My weekly shout out to your greatness in doing this weekly

Shooting dice! Wow, ok.

Interesting on Switzer being entitled. Wonder if that’s why he didn’t get more time..and not playing well

I found this on reports of Switzer's attitude problems from when he was drafted:

"Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Ryan Switzer believes he was the best return man in the 2017 NFL Draft, although it’s exactly that kind of attitude that may have caused the North Carolina product to fall to the fourth round.

At least, that’s how one anonymous NFL special teams coach feels about Switzer, according to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. McGinn pressed scouts and coaches from around the league for their opinions on 2017 draft prospects. While talent evaluators described Switzer as “dynamic” and “a special player,” another pointed to a potential personality defect or character flaw that might bother some teams.

“He had really good stats earlier, wasn’t great this year,” the anonymous coach said. “I wouldn’t want the kid because he’s so cocky. Just obnoxious. Hard to be around. Even his own teammates didn’t like him. Who needs all those headaches with a guy like that? It’s not like he’s [legendary NFL wide receiver] Randy Moss.”

Listed at 5-foot-8 and 181 pounds and timed at 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash, Switzer recorded 244 receptions for 2,907 yards and returned 7 punts for touchdowns — all Tar Heels records. He has the potential to become a great return man and slot receiver in the NFL.

The question is whether Cowboys coaches will be able to put up with him. Obviously, Dallas chose Switzer, so the staff must have felt comfortable enough after limited meetings with the 22-year-old to bring him aboard.

But how will everybody feel about Switzer as months and years go by, including his teammates in the locker room?

Of course, this is only one coach’s opinion, and who knows how he arrived at the conclusion that Switzer is brash and annoying. It’s possible this person had some preconceived notions about the young man going into their meeting — that tattoo inside his bottom lip might rub people the wrong way — and nothing Switzer could say or do was going to change that."

Regardless, that line of thinking about Switzer is out there, and if he starts having trouble forging alliances with people in the Cowboys organization, remember this scouting report.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Interesting on Switzer being entitled. Wonder if that’s why he didn’t get more time..and not playing well. Guy doesn’t stick
Doesn't help that he has pretty been garbage whenever he does play. Dude averaged like 7 yards a catch in the only season he got some playing time in Pittsburgh.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  1. It feels to me like they're going to be playing some guys - namely Chido and Worley - in some type of hybrid safety/corner roles to maximize their strengths.

I don't want to make too much of this now, but perhaps one of the single biggest difference between this year and last year's coaching staff is the idea that scheme is somewhat secondary to team and player talent (my interpretation) -- that is, rather than making the player fit the scheme, maximize the player's strengths regardless the scheme.... what a novel concept

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Does anyone know of any specifics details about what Taco did here. Ive heard alot about him having attitude problems, and being in Marinelli's doghouse. But nothing really specific

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't want to make too much of this now, but perhaps one of the single biggest differences between this year and last year's coaching staff is the idea that scheme is somewhat secondary to team and player talent (my interpretation) -- that is, rather than making the player fit the scheme, maximize the player's strengths regardless the scheme.... what a novel concept

If only we did that back in 2017!

We would now have TJ Watt at RDE and Juan Thornhill at safety. Everything else would be icing on the cake.

Firing Garrett and Marinelli wasn't enough punishment to fit the crime.

I'm telling everybody, my expectations for this team are now sky-high after they've jettisoned the dead weight and replaced it with competent, successful, NFL-caliber coaching. The differences are going to be stark.

Einstein

Reaction score
So the bit about all of our CB's being over 6' except Lewis, what about Anthony Brown? He's listed at 5'11, but I've heard that is on his tippy toes, and he's listed at 196 on DC.com, I guess that can be rounded up to 200, but Lewis is 5-10 195 so not that different IMO.

For the gambler, my guess is Smith with the dark horse being McCoy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone know of any specifics details about what Taco did here. Ive heard alot about him having attitude problems, and being in Marinelli's doghouse. But nothing really specific

My biggest issue with it is that Marinelli could be ALLOWED to put him in the doghouse.

Hey pal! That's your guy! The one that you banged on the table to get. You're tied at the hip to these guys. If they fail, YOU fail.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My biggest issue with it is that Marinelli could be ALLOWED to put him in the doghouse.

Hey pal! That's your guy! The one that you banged on the table to get. You're tied at the hip to these guys. If they fail, YOU fail.
Rod did not bang the table for Taco.
Will McClay was the guy who was all in on Taco.
Rod hated Taco.

Rod did really like Hill right up until about the 2nd week of coaching him, lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rod hated Taco.

Rod did really like Hill right up until about the 2nd week of coaching him, lol.
Rod did say TJ Watt wasnt a DL here tho.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rod hated Taco.

That's not true, you should research that. It's widely known that Marinelli was the guy that made that call on Taco.

Another guy that he should have been stuck with, with no doghouse to throw these valuable resources into.

It was his fault.

Last edited:

817Gill

Reaction score
I feel like it’s Poe or Worley, Haha and McCoy are squeaky clean guys. Wouldn’t be Aldon as Glazer wouldn’t be pumping his image.

Process of elimination if I had to guess would make me believe it’s Poe or Worley.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Switzer's attitude had to be just insufferable for Dallas to trade a talented drafted player after only one season.

That and the Cowboys once again getting bad information from their defensive line coach on Jihad Ward.

rags747

Reaction score
Why can’t they just practice at Jerry World if CA is out?

Maxmadden

Reaction score
That's not true, you should research that. It's widely known that Marinelli was the guy that made that call on Taco.

Another guy that he should have been stuck with, with no doghouse to throw these valuable resources into.

It was his fault.

So if I had to rank the people who make the decisions on who we draft, what would it would look like?

1. Jerry
2. Stephan
3. Mc Clay
4. Garrett
5. Marinelli or Moore.
6. Position coach

Yeah, it's cool to blame Marinelli and Garrett because they are gone, but it should always start at the top in the blame game.