Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (7/24)

fredp22

Reaction score
unless it was Jon Kitna then he would have heard it directly from Dak and then kitna is putting it out there. Anyone who talks to broaddus must know he is going to blab immediately.
again-speculation. The quote say the coach "thinks". Didnt say they (or anyone) talked to or anyone heard Dak make that statement
its a rumor and speculation. Broaddus is wrong for treating it as news

conner01

Reaction score
Number 4 makes a lot more sense than Dak being that upset over Garrett getting fired.
If my company turned me down for a raise and fired my supervisor who I liked I’d probably be upset. Though I think most would and most would get over it as he will

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did he? Or did Jan Slater mistakenly say so? Even she herself admitted that Prescott disputed her report.
Yep, too many take these stories, with no validation, and run with them.

I don't buy that story at all. If that's true, the Joneses are beyond incompetent because they know damned well how deals get done, they don't let the deadline run out.

I also don't fault either side in this deal, they simply couldn't come to terms and that happens all of the time in pro sports. The Joneses are known as the rollovers in the NFL and Prescott's agent is aware of that so the timing wasn't an issue. I think France and Prescott are perfectly fine playing on the tag this year. When they tagged him, another part of the story, that played more into his hands than anything. They were fearful of the non exclusive tag that he'd no show but that's the one they should have used because that would have given them more options.

Posters need to just get focused on the season and not play the blame game, make it about football and not the money.

Reaction score
If my company turned me down for a raise and fired my supervisor who I liked I’d probably be upset. Though I think most would and most would get over it as he will
Did the Cowboys turn Dak down for a raise? That's news to me. I heard they offered him $33M-$35M a year. That's a pretty good raise.

And I may like my supervisor, but if it's obvious he's incompetent and is holding the organization back, I would understand why the enterprise would want to make a change.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol yeah. Slater is still butt mad that she slept in her car outside the Star trying to be the first one to break the story on Garrett's departure, only to see Glazer beat her to the punch.

That's when I stopped considering her to be any sort of an inside source. She may talk to players and coaches, but any information she gets is after the fact. She didn't have the slightest clue what was going on with the whole Garrett thing, and then she took the weekend off while the actual story broke. Ever since I saw that, I reevaluated the stock that I put into her reporting. I'll listen to her podcast for occasional tidbits from the show's guests, but I don't put much stock into what she personally has to say.

And think about this:

What would you do if your agent failed to get a deal done and you had to try to do it yourself at the last minute (as Slater claims)?

Would that person still be your agent?

No, I didn't think so.

conner01

Reaction score
I’ve always felt pre season is super important
I know fans sometimes hate the games but I personally love them
I love seeing that guy we took in the 6th round I knew nothing about
I love seeing that guy who was on PS last year to see if he has grown as a player
I don’t buy that you can really evaluate players in practice
I get why this year has to be different but I see the value in those so called meaningless games because in reality the only thing meaningless is the score. The play of the players means everything for those young players

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I say #4 is mostly bogus. For several reasons.

It came from Broaddus and JTT. Sometimes not always the most reliable sources.
Other articles saying from a former coach. So now it is supposedly coming from someone still in the organization, or it seemed that way. And how would they know what went on during negotiations.

By that, was there any face to face negotiations, or all on video conference, if at all. Because we been led to believe there was rarely any negotiations.
So how could this person know what Dak's demeanor was. I call BS.
And if this source did have any inside info, could Dak's demeanor have been after he lost his brother.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, too many take these stories, with no validation, and run with them.

I don't buy that story at all. If that's true, the Joneses are beyond incompetent because they know damned well how deals get done, they don't let the deadline run out.

I also don't fault either side in this deal, they simply couldn't come to terms and that happens all of the time in pro sports. The Joneses are known as the rollovers in the NFL and Prescott's agent is aware of that so the timing wasn't an issue. I think France and Prescott are perfectly fine playing on the tag this year. When they tagged him, another part of the story, that played more into his hands than anything. They were fearful of the non exclusive tag that he'd no show but that's the one they should have used because that would have given them more options.

Posters need to just get focused on the season and not play the blame game, make it about football and not the money.

And if any agent bungled negotiations so badly that the player had to step in last minute to salvage a deal? They'd be an ex-agent the next day.

Has that happened? No. And neither did Slater's reporting of events.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
France works at the direction of Dak Prescott who is paying him because he hired him.
I think the gist of his thought was that France, a practiced negotiator probably put multiple thought processes into Dak's (an unpracticed negotiator) head. This caused the whole shitshow of a negotiation. Dak was probably closer to signing pre-France than any time post France. Also if I remember right I read on these pages that at the last minute Dak stepped into the negotiation trying to close the deal. If this is a true statement then France was the problem in closing the deal.

France had a lot of skin in the game, obviously, to get an outrageously favorable deal for Dak. It's all about his bank, not Dak. Greedy agents suck ! They avoid middle ground !

Reaction score
That's when I stopped considering her to be any sort of an inside source. She may talk to players and coaches, but any information she gets is after the fact. She didn't have the slightest clue what was going on with the whole Garrett thing, and then she took the weekend off while the actual story broke. Ever since I saw that, I reevaluated the stock that I put into her reporting. I'll listen to her podcast for occasional tidbits from the show's guests, but I don't put much stock into what she personally has to say.

And think about this:

What would you do if your agent failed to get a deal done and you had to try to do it yourself at the last minute (as Slater claims)?

Would that person still be your agent?

No, I didn't think so.
Don't forget the time Slator swore up and down the Zeke wasn't going to hold out.........until he did.

conner01

Reaction score
Did the Cowboys turn Dak down for a raise? That's news to me. I heard they offered him $33M-$35M a year. That's a pretty good raise.

And I may like my supervisor, but if it's obvious he's incompetent and is holding the organization back, I would understand why the enterprise would want to make a change.
If you ask for a raise and your employer offered you less than the company across the street is paying their employees, how would you feel?
Most would go across the street, but players don’t have that option
I would have fired Garrett sooner but I think many of the players respected him and liked him
I also think much of Garrett’s failures were Jerry’s fault and it appears he sees that himself by the way he’s handling MM so far. Hopefully jerry has learned

MikeB80

Reaction score
I think the gist of his thought was that France, a practiced negotiator probably put multiple thought processes into Dak's (an unpracticed negotiator) head. This caused the whole shitshow of a negotiation. Dak was probably closer to signing pre-France than any time post France. Also if I remember right I read on these pages that at the last minute Dak stepped into the negotiation trying to close the deal. If this is a true statement then France was the problem in closing the deal.

France had a lot of skin in the game, obviously, to get an outrageously favorable deal for Dak. It's all about his bank, not Dak. Greedy agents suck ! They avoid middle ground !

again Dak rushing in at the end to save the day did not happen and was just nonsense from a reporter.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I’ve always felt pre season is super important
I know fans sometimes hate the games but I personally love them
I love seeing that guy we took in the 6th round I knew nothing about
I love seeing that guy who was on PS last year to see if he has grown as a player
I don’t buy that you can really evaluate players in practice
I get why this year has to be different but I see the value in those so called meaningless games because in reality the only thing meaningless is the score. The play of the players means everything for those young players
Exactly

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Whether or not Dak actually wants to remain with the Cowboys doesn't mean the team can't or won't be successful in the future. If he's retained, whether it be by tag or a new contract, he'd be well-advised to put his best foot forward. That holds true for as long as he's dutifully employed by the 'Boys.

In regards to that, even if he eventually leaves, there will probably be at least 2 years to find a develop another QB moving forward. There's hope, with or without him. As far as I'm concerned, I'd like him to stay but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he left. There would surely be alternatives.

In addition, I've said this many times -- I think Todd France has had far too much influence on him than what's in his best interest. I'm extremely hopeful he'll decide to eventually dismiss him. I strongly believe he'd be doing himself a big favor if he did. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yeah, I forgot about that 'gem' of a report too.
:laugh:

She did not have a good year last year and on through the season.
I have not listened to her much this odd off season. So do not know how she is doing on any of her reports.

I know she is filling in this week for Kay Adams on GMFB. But I have not really been watching it either. I change the channel, and if not anything interesting or about Dallas, I don't listen.
Now this morning, but I caught the tail end of it. They were talking about this report, does Dak want to be in Dallas.

One guy did say, don't put anything into this at all. Just hearsay.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Broaddus was BFFs with Marinelli. Marinelli asked his opinion on some 4th round DL last offseason.

I’d guess that’s your source.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She did not have a good year last year and on through the season.
I have not listened to her much this odd off season. So do not know how she is doing on any of her reports.

I know she is filling in this week for Kay Adams on GMFB. But I have not really been watching it either. I change the channel, and if not anything interesting or about Dallas, I don't listen.
Now this morning, but I caught the tail end of it. They were talking about this report, does Dak want to be in Dallas.

One guy did say, don't put anything into this at all. Just hearsay.

Thanks for that bit of info. I honestly watch nothing on TV at this point in time. And I believe that her podcast with Bobby Belt is on hiatus until training camps start.

From what I have seen and heard, her recent reports have not been very good, or insightful, or accurate.