Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (8/7)

Scotman

Reaction score
Wow. That is exactly wrong.
I can't imagine hating on Anthony Brown. He's not an all-star. But he's solid and was a 6th round draft pick. If you hit on guys like this in the 6th round you'd be a very, very formidable team. His contract is 3 years at 15.5 (I think). Compare that to the roughly 12 per season that Byron Jones got.

You have to have guys like this on the team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you talking three LB sets or two?

Most of my comments about LVE as MLB are about 3 LB sets. Interesting that Nolan makes them much more different in 2LB sets.
When they're in a 4 man DL, they'll play far more 2 LB sets than 3.

In a 3 man DL, they'll have 2 types of "OLBs".
- One type will play OLB in a 4 man DL.
- One type will play DE in a 4 man DL.

Jaylon obviously will play OLB in a 4 man DL but he'll be an "on ball" OLB in a 3 man DL.

If they were a full time 4 man DL scheme, then I think Anae would be a DE.
- In this hybrid scheme I think he'll play DE in a 4 man DL and OLB in a 3 man DL; although, they might keep him at OLB full-time.

Aldon Smith will likely play DE in a 4 man DL and OLB in a 3 man DL.
- Same for Griffen.

LVE will likely be a pure off-ball LB.

Lee and Joe Thomas will play ILB in 3-4 sets and OLB in 4-3 sets.
- In 4 man DL sets, they'll likely play a position similar to WLB in a pure 4-3 scheme with Jaylon playing more of an SLB role in the 4-3 sets.

There will also be hybrid DT/DE types. If Crawford remains on the roster, he'll play some snaps at DE in a 3-4 as well as both DE and DT in a 4 man DL.

McCoy DT in a 4 man DL and DE in a 3 man DL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
UOTE="Zekeats, post: 10329588, member: 36517"]The Anthony Brown thing is spot on. Simple minded fans just don’t understand how good he is.[/QUOTE]

Brown
  • Yes, it is odd that fans don't like Anthony Brown.
  • He has been a better overall player than Jourdan Lewis.
  • In 2017 when they both played about 800 snaps, Brown had 2 INTs to 1 for Lewis.
  • Brown started and played a full game on the outside in 2018 and played snaps on the outside in the first few games of 2019 as Byron Jones was on a limited snap count due to returning from off-season surgery.
    • Brown was solid in those situations.

Lewis
  • Fans love Lewis, but he was terrible in 2019 and didn't play enough in 2018 to evaluate him.
    • I like his feisty demeanor but he was really bad in 2019.
    • It might have been due to the scheme problems but he appeared to be completely free lancing.
    • Lewis as the Nickel CB covering the slot CB is often required to be the "force" or "point" defender against the run.
      • Being the force defender means forcing the RB to go inside or outside of him.
      • Lewis does not have to make the tackle as the force defender but he must ensure that the RB takes the path where other defenders are available to make the tackle.
      • In 2019 Lewis was consistently out of place in those situations.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
UOTE="Zekeats, post: 10329588, member: 36517"]

Lewis
  • Fans love Lewis, but he was terrible in 2019 and didn't play enough in 2018 to evaluate him.
    • I like his feisty demeanor but he was really bad in 2019.
    • It might have been due to the scheme problems but he appeared to be completely free lancing.
    • Lewis as the Nickel CB covering the slot CB is often required to be the "force" or "point" defender against the run.
      • Being the force defender means forcing the RB to go inside or outside of him.
      • Lewis does not have to make the tackle as the force defender but he must ensure that the RB takes the path where other defenders are available to make the tackle.
      • In 2019 Lewis was consistently out of place in those situations.

Lewis is Opposite World Heath, a guy who made some plays early in his career that made many fall in love with him, while they ignore the bad plays then and since.

zerofill

Reaction score
Maybe because if he's not dedicated to it, he won't stay clean. If it's fact he's not stayed on the path 100%, they might be tired of baby sitting this guy.

I would question his desire since he went into the draft. He would have been a 1st round pick if not for having extremely poor judgment. His excuses for getting stoned are just that.

Yeah that is the way I took it...

Is his desire to play football, greater than his desire of other activities. If not, they are wasting their time. (Which I think they are... but who knows)