Joe Judge: Daniel Jones played through severe injuries in 2020

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
“Daniel’s the last guy that’s gonna use anything as an excuse,” Judge said during an appearance on ESPN New York’s The Michael Kay Show. “What I would say about the injury last year — it was much more serious than maybe people thought on the outside.

“I would say … that 90% of the players in the league who would’ve had that injury, including quarterbacks, would have been on IR for the remainder of the year. That’s just the reality of it. It was much more severe than maybe he allowed people to know, or the information that was put out there.”

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/202...el-jones-played-through-severe-injuries-2020/

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Jones did have a pretty severe hamstring injury, but Judge is a bit of a drama queen with his declaration. We have seen guys play with broken ribs, ACL tears, torn hamstring, broken tibia, broken fibula, ruptured spleen, etc. Come on coach, its a rough game, and it's hard to get some of these cats off the field.

Bigdog

Reaction score
He probably injured it when the turf monster grabbed him on run against the Eagles when he fell and there was no one around.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I do think he's much better than he showed last year.

I assumed it was, in part, because he had possibly the worst supporting cast in the whole league,. I mean, plug anyone in behind that oline, without Barkley, and with that WR group, and they would probably not look too good.
But it seems there was even more to it than that.

Still not sure how good (or bad) he really is.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I do think he's much better than he showed last year.

I assumed it was, in part, because he had possibly the worst supporting cast in the whole league,. I mean, plug anyone in behind that oline, without Barkley, and with that WR group, and they would probably not look too good.
But it seems there was even more to it than that.

Still not sure how good (or bad) he really is.
We'll find out this year, he has pretty good WR corps now

DFWJC

Reaction score
We'll find out this year, he has pretty good WR corps now
The rookie should help.
Normally that's more like year 2 or 3 but there are the Jefferson's of the world.
Getting Barkly back should be huge for him as well.
And the oline should be better

I hope they suck though
:muttley:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The rookie should help.
Normally that's more like year 2 or 3 but there are the Jefferson's of the world.
Getting Barkly back should be huge for him as well.
And the oline should be better

I hope they suck though
:muttley:
I think Golloday will help alot. He isnt elite, but he is a decent #1. Slayton should be alot better as a #2. He was overmatched as a #1. Koney and Sheppard should push each other for that #3. All in all, its a much deeper and skilled group, even if Koney doesnt do much year 1

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think Golloday will help alot. He isnt elite, but he is a decent #1. Slayton should be alot better as a #2. He was overmatched as a #1. Koney and Sheppard should push each other for that #3. All in all, its a much deeper and skilled group, even if Koney doesnt do much year 1
Oh yeah, forgot about Golliday!
Big addition
Slayton in year 3, the rookie, Golliday and Shep.....that's not bad.
damnit

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh yeah, forgot about Golliday!
Big addition
Slayton in year 3, the rookie, Golliday and Shep.....that's not bad.
I think Slayton could have a solid year getting one on ones. He has a good skill set to be a #2, but its hard to get decent coverage looks when the corpse of Golden Tate is opposite you

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Daniel Jones is never going to be good. NY probably should have stayed put and taken Justin Fields.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Is he admitting to circumventing the rules for declaring a players injury status during the season?

He's basically telling the NFLPA that they allowed a severely injured player to play and didn't even bother reporting the injury.

But hey its all good since he makes him sound tough

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem I see is none of these quarterbacks want less than market value beyond their rookie deal. Jones may be a decent QB, just not good enough to pay market value.

Right, which is why they should have taken Fields or Mac Jones. The Qb crop next year looks pretty bad. So, that extra first round pick isn't going to improve their QB situation.

Flamma

Reaction score
Right, which is why they should have taken Fields or Mac Jones. The Qb crop next year looks pretty bad. So, that extra first round pick isn't going to improve their QB situation.

You're probably right. They really didn't need the extra WR, and at worst Fields isn't going to be any worse than Jones. But you have another rookie deal instead of having to worry about paying Jones.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're probably right. They really didn't need the extra WR, and at worst Fields isn't going to be any worse than Jones. But you have another rookie deal instead of having to worry about paying Jones.

Well, I guess they beleive in the guy and can have him for 3 more years pretty cheap. As a Cowboy fan, I couldn't be happier.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well, I guess they beleive in the guy and can have him for 3 more years pretty cheap. As a Cowboy fan, I couldn't be happier.

I'm happy too. Jones is never getting past halfway decent. But they're not looking at it as having 3 more years of cheap. They have to decide whether or not to extend him after 2021. Like every other team does. Our Cowboys are special in that we apparently don't do that.

Put it this way. They could have drafted Fields and still made the decision with Daniel Jones after 2021. They didn't need the WR. They could have drafted a decent WR in the 2nd or 3rd.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The problem I see is none of these quarterbacks want less than market value beyond their rookie deal. Jones may be a decent QB, just not good enough to pay market value.
unless the owner is jerry, then he gets above market value.