1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Joe Looney

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Ekspozed, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Ekspozed

Ekspozed Well-Known Member

297 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    Seems like a great guy in the locker for the team, didnt look like much to start his career, but the guy has filled in admirably and has played better than a lot of starters in the league.

Whats his future? Does he draw interest from other teams? Does he filled in as a guard/center reserve? Or doea he get a crack at the LG spot next season? If they want to put out the best 5 where would you rank.

pavalley, BAT and Kolemmitt like this.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Troller of Trolls and apparent Dak slobberer Zone Supporter

39,550 Messages
    12,279 Likes Received
    We have no way of knowing yet if Fredbeard will be back ........ I think he will but you cannot risk your team on a hunch ......

They need Lonney in case he is not back.

BAT likes this.
  3. Ekspozed

297 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    So does he remain a backup then, even if fredbeard starts and finishes the season ?

4. Kolemmitt

Kolemmitt Well-Known Member

1,343 Messages
    2,192 Likes Received
    If Fredbeard is back, I would prefer to see Looney and Filo and maybe a draft pick compete for that LG spot, while Collins, Williams and maybe a draft pick compete for the RT spot.

5. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

9,956 Messages
    16,964 Likes Received
    Pretty sure he signed a 2-year extension earlier this year. So he's not going anywhere. In fact, as it stands right, he's our 2019 starting center.

BAT likes this.
  6. JayFord

JayFord Well-Known Member

5,363 Messages
    8,711 Likes Received
    We have to keep looney I know he wouldn’t like a reduced role but I would pay him slighly more than a backup

7. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

42,854 Messages
    44,208 Likes Received
    He is signed through the 2019 season.
    I think Su'a-filo is too.

BAT, J12B, Hawkeye0202 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

5,867 Messages
    6,819 Likes Received
    MVP

75boyz likes this.
  9. Swanny

Swanny Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    2,949 Likes Received
    I thought news cake cak yesterday that Fred will be ready for the start of the season next year? I would keep Filo at guard. Looney as a Guard/Center back up and Connor Williams at RT

10. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

6,720 Messages
    4,900 Likes Received
    That's good news. Remember the days when one injury would derail our season? Guys like Vander Esch, Looney, Su'a-filo and Fleming, to an extent, have ensured that's not the case this year.

75boyz, BAT, Fla Cowpoke and 2 others like this.
  11. Hoods

Hoods Well-Known Member

1,236 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    There was a thread yesterday that got buried I think but basically it sounds very likely Frederick will be ready to go by next season (and Frederick even half joked he could potentially play a couple games from now).

12. zrinkill

zrinkill Troller of Trolls and apparent Dak slobberer Zone Supporter

39,550 Messages
    12,279 Likes Received
    I know ........ and I believe it ........ but the Cowboys front office has to cover all bases.

I think Fredbeard will be back and good as new ......... but I would still rather have Looney in our back pocket just in case.

Hoods likes this.
  13. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

15,170 Messages
    12,700 Likes Received
    He’s under contract next year

14. conner01

15,170 Messages
    12,700 Likes Received
    I hope he’s the backup center next year but who knows with Fred
    He’s been very good at filling in though

Hawkeye0202 likes this.
  15. Ekspozed

297 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    I myself think Looney is our 5th best lineman and the Cowboys have found that out. I'm not sold on filo and think that if fred was playing it would have been Looney who got the 1st crack and our opine would be a lot better. I hope he gets his shot because I think he could easily slide back to center in case of emergency.

16. Ekspozed

297 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    Never said he wasnt under contract, doesn't mean a backup of his caliber couldnt fill a starting void and with us missing a 1st rounder who knows.

17. conner01

15,170 Messages
    12,700 Likes Received
    If Fred returns and is the old Fred he will be the backup center guard
    I would actually see if I could extend him cheap a couple years though
    I think he will just be 29 next season

Hawkeye0202 likes this.
  18. streetcredit

streetcredit Active Member

275 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    are his shotgun snaps getting higher and higher?

19. fairviewfarmer

fairviewfarmer Well-Known Member

1,160 Messages
    800 Likes Received
    Starter at guard next season.

20. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

9,956 Messages
    16,964 Likes Received

That exactly my point with Fred.......noticed in another he said could play one or two plays right now. I know it's way early but that not very encouraging for me. Even when he THINKS he can play, what about endurance against his illness. How long can he hold up? A lot of questions with him...... that's why Looney is my 2019 starting center until I know for a fact Fred is either back or trending back to his All-Pro form.