Twitter: Joe Thomas predicts Clowney to the Boys

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I like Clowney a LOT, but at this point we can get three key contributors for the kind of money he wants....and the second Clowney gets hobbled a bit, or cant play at all due to whatever, that 3 vs 1 is really gonna sting.

Said it earlier....Clowney is for a team that isnt paying Lawrence already.
No you can't. You don't get key contributors, whatever that means, for $7m, and paying $7m to depth/role players is what gets teams into cap trouble.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Market Value
  • 6 yrs, $120,340,914
  • Avg. Salary: $20,056,819
  • NFL Rank: 22
  • DE Rank: 3

He can play but I wouldnt put him as the third best DE in football. Is he 20 Million better than a draft pick like Chaisson or the fallback of Armstrong and Gregory?

ultron

Reaction score
This

LOL at "Quinns better because he had a few more sacks against some back-up LT's".

Clowney is 5x better against the run and unlike Quinn he actually knows what a screen pass is.........
People don’t understand how terrible Quinn is vs. the run and screens & don’t understand this guy single handily devastated this defense bUt hE hAd 11 sAcKs.

Carson

Reaction score
1)Lawrence, plus the often injured, overpriced Clowney, along with JAGS@ DT, or...
2)Lawrence, Gregory and a couple of stud DTs.

I’ll take option #2.

Yeah that makes sense.

But we know we arent signing anybody lol

ultron

Reaction score
I know, you can trade for them.
It’s super rare that a team would trade a player that they just tagged unless they just don’t feel like they can get a deal done and I wouldn’t be interested in giving up a kings ransome for those guys when there’s a ton of DT talent freely available

SSoup

Reaction score
I don't know Joe Thomas' track record reporting things. Is this him actually reporting because he's done leg work and seen smoke making him think there's fire here? Or is this part of some "everybody just make random guesses" segment where people pull things out of their butt?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Quinn:

14 gms, 11.5 Sks, 34 Tckls, 13 TFL.

Clowney:

13 gms, 3 Sks, 31 Tckls, 7 TFL.

New Bears edge rusher Robert Quinn generated pressure on 14.0% of pass rushes last season, 2nd-highest in the NFL behind only Za'Darius Smith (14.6%).

Quinn's average pass rush get-off time (0.80 seconds) ranked 5th among edge rushers with at least 300 pass rushes in 2019. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1239947023199219713 …

Those of you who claim that Quinn is so bad and Clowney so much better, I ask, have you watched both of those guys play over the last year? I agree that Clowney didn't have Lawrence on the other side but Clowney, he flat out sucked wind threw a straw last year.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Don’t know if Clowney makes sense for the cost, but we would have the two most complete DEs in the NFL if the Cowboys found a way to make it work

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It’s super rare that a team would trade a player that they just tagged unless they just don’t feel like they can get a deal done and I wouldn’t be interested in giving up a kings ransome for those guys when there’s a ton of DT talent freely available
No it's not, it literally just happened with Clowney, and I think Dee Ford. Slap the tag, trade the rights.

The DT talent available isn't anywhere in the same class as Jones. He's a game changer. The FAs are just 1-tech plugs.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I’d prefer to draft a DT/DE and not spend on Clowney. Need to sign a FS/SS in FA.

ultron

Reaction score
No it's not, it literally just happened with Clowney, and I think Dee Ford. Slap the tag, trade the rights.

The DT talent available isn't anywhere in the same class as Jones. He's a game changer. The FAs are just 1-tech plugs.
Jones isn’t going anywhere without a mega-contract and multiple 1st round picks - I’m good on that.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Jones isn’t going anywhere without a mega-contract and multiple 1st round picks - I’m good on that.
I mean, he's the best defensive player in football. $23m and two firsts is kind of a no brainer if you're not a rebuilder.