News: Joel Klatt: If the Cowboys Offered Urban Meyer the Job He Would Take It

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The thing with Urban is that he doesn't tolerate losing. I'm not sure he would have the patience to struggle here for a few years while he remade the roster and culture around the team. In college, change can happen as fast one recruiting season. In the NFL, its much harder to build and sustain a team.

I think there's absolutely some truth to what you're saying, however I think Meyer is a good enough coach that his immediate impact could be as much as three to four wins in a season

Obviously this is just an unprovable opinion but I feel very strongly that if he was our coach this year we'd be sitting 8-5 right now at this juncture with the exact same roster

bewp7

Reaction score
give me Matt Rhule over Urban or Riley

yes! this is the nfl, not college. meyer and riley are better recruiters, but rhule is a way better football coach. i’m not saying hire rhule, but if jerry wants to go the college route he should go after the better football mind!

Kaiser

Reaction score
Jones-Parcells part two.

Its a little different though, now the team has Will McClay and Stephen Jones handling a lot more of the day to day operations. Back then Jerry spent 100% of his time with the Cowboys, now most of his time is on the Yacht or on outside investments.

I just don't buy the puppet strings comments. If Bill Parcells was here for four years as a HOF HC with a force of nature personality, the new HC can do it when Jerry is more of a Chairman of the Board type.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think a framework for a deal has already been worked out...pending what happens with the team in the current season. Stevie already reached out to him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Kris Richard?

IMO Kris Richard is the only logical candidate from the current coaches but -

A) If he was the interim HC they would have announced it Friday morning

and B) I don't think any serious NFL front office type would watch the dismal showing our defense had Thursday and think Richard should be promoted based on that. Aikman said that loudly during the TV broadcast and he is clearly a close friend to Garrett.

I like Richard and thought he was a serious candidate for the 2020 HC job all year, but the last month has taken that away. I could see RIchard and Kellen Moore staying on if a college guy is the next HC but none of that is certain after the debacles we have seen the last two weeks.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Who are Meyers connections in the league he could bring in for a DC?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its a little different though, now the team has Will McClay and Stephen Jones handling a lot more of the day to day operations. Back then Jerry spent 100% of his time with the Cowboys, now most of his time is on the Yacht or on outside investments.

I just don't buy the puppet strings comments. If Bill Parcells was here for four years as a HOF HC with a force of nature personality, the new HC can do it when Jerry is more of a Chairman of the Board type.

I don't buy the 'puppet' narrative either, at least certainly not when it comes to Urban Meyer. This man has options and he can punch his own ticket and have just about any job he wants. Men with pedigree like his and options like he has don't sign on to be 'puppets' for Jerry Jones.

If he does sign on to be the next head coach, I'm taking it as a solid indicator of sweeping change.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Who are Meyers connections in the league he could bring in for a DC?

Dallas is the premier franchise and they pay coaches better than any other team, couldn't the front office recruit a top person?

Also I think Kellen Moore will stay if its a college coach, he is basically the only guy on the staff that performed this year.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The thing with Urban is that he doesn't tolerate losing. I'm not sure he would have the patience to struggle here for a few years while he remade the roster and culture around the team. In college, change can happen as fast one recruiting season. In the NFL, its much harder to build and sustain a team.

This team will win right away. I am sure of that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jerry isn't going to give up his wubby. Think about it - Jerry cried for him on national TV and cussed out the hosts 105.3 radio. Jerry is getting EXTREMELY defensive in regards to Garrett, and it would seem he's trying to make excuses to keep him. Heck, he already has the perfect scapegoat in Moore.

Fans will abandon this team in droves if he resigned Garrett.

CB61

Reaction score
He has publicly said he would? Although it hasn't been offered

CWR

Reaction score
Jerry isn't going to give up his wubby. Think about it - Jerry cried for him on national TV and cussed out the hosts 105.3 radio. Jerry is getting EXTREMELY defensive in regards to Garrett, and it would seem he's trying to make excuses to keep him. Heck, he already has the perfect scapegoat in Moore.

Bet

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
No thanks on Urban Meyer. He’s a side show coach, always with the health, and other bs. I don’t like the fact that he always had the most talent and won. Talent is even for the most part in NFL.

give me Matt Rhule over Urban or Riley

Actually, this is not entirely true.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Fans will abandon this team in droves if he resigned Garrett.

It won't hurt Jerry's wallet all that much. You don't know the demographics of DFW, do you. The stadium would be half full at a minimum each week with out of town fans, and maybe even more than that depending on who is playing.