Joey Galloway caused Dallas More trouble than Owens ever will

Bleed Blue

Dallas 67
Reaction score
Opening old wounds with this one but do you remember the two #1s it cost Dallas to get Joey? The great "Q" was the 53 pick and the first Cowboy drafted.This was a time when the draft could help a much less talented team and NO #1s to be had. Stewart, Weatherington and Steel were just a few that would not even have a chance on this team but that was the state of the Cowboys then. This year a 4th and a 6th are in trouble of even making the final roster. Joey was just not good for the team on the field or to its future. T.O. will never cause this much trouble and yet alot of people even felt sorry for Joey saying he was just in the wrong system.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that we gave up too much for Galloway, but that wasn't his fault. And as far as him being in the wrong system, he was. Several different QBs and general instability in the organization. As much as we all hate how the Galloway scenario played out, he was one of the few bright spots of that era. When they showed Dallas highlights, it was usually Joey G catching a deep pass because we didn't have much else.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas 67 said:
Opening old wounds with this one but do you remember the two #1s it cost Dallas to get Joey? The great "Q" was the 53 pick and the first Cowboy drafted.This was a time when the draft could help a much less talented team and NO #1s to be had. Stewart, Weatherington and Steel were just a few that would not even have a chance on this team but that was the state of the Cowboys then. This year a 4th and a 6th are in trouble of even making the final roster. Joey was just not good for the team on the field or to its future. T.O. will never cause this much trouble and yet alot of people even felt sorry for Joey saying he was just in the wrong system.

It may not have been a good trade for Dallas but Galloway did not cause problems for the Cowboys and hopefully TO will not cause problems. Blaming a player for a bad trade is pretty far fetched.

Bleed Blue

Dallas 67
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
It may not have been a good trade for Dallas but Galloway did not cause problems for the Cowboys and hopefully TO will not cause problems. Blaming a player for a bad trade is pretty far fetched.
I'm not blaming him directly. I know it was not his fault. Indirectly Joey's trade cost Dallas more than Owens ever will, yet Owens league and media interest is 10 times anything Joey experenced. The total potential at the end of the contracts will sway 10 times to Joeys side.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas 67 said:
I'm not blaming him directly. I know it was not his fault. Indirectly Joey's trade cost Dallas more than Owens ever will, yet Owens league and media interest is 10 times anything Joey experenced. The total potential at the end of the contracts will sway 10 times to Joeys side.

The media gets on Owens because of a long history of being a jerk, none of them have ever knocked TO ability to play the game not 1. They get on him because of his additude and stupid stunts he as pulled over his career. Galloway is a good player who goes out and does his job without causing turmoil there was never a reason for the media to jump on Galloway. They did however jump on Jones for making the deal along with most fans

rickster14

Reaction score
We have to remember that we got Joey in hopes of making one more Super Bowl w/ the triplets. It was unfortunate that Irvin, Joey, and McKnight ( a pretty good #3) all went down with injuries. Had that not occurred (nobody could have predicted it), Troy would have had his best set of WRs in his career and might have gotten ring #6 for the Boys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rickster14 said:
We have to remember that we got Joey in hopes of making one more Super Bowl w/ the triplets. It was unfortunate that Irvin, Joey, and McKnight ( a pretty good #3) all went down with injuries. Had that not occurred (nobody could have predicted it), Troy would have had his best set of WRs in his career and might have gotten ring #6 for the Boys.

We got Galloway because we lost Irvin to an injury the year before.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Dallas 67 said:
Joey just didn't know how to create drama and garner attention the way Owens does. And since he was injured as soon as he arrived and never had a chance to play with the last great QB we had he didn't have much of a chance to rid himself of the stigma of being the guy who cost two first round picks. Trading for Galloway was a mistake made by Jerry Jones not by Joey Galloway.

If Galloway had not gotten injured, if Aikman had not had to retire, if we had developed a QB behind Aikman, if Galloway hadn't arrived in the middle of a succession of coaching failures, if, if, if. Murphy was hard at work throughout that era and everything that could go wrong for the Cowboys was going wrong. But none of it was Joey's fault and he did the best he could for the Cowboys under the circumstances. That is all you can ask of a guy.

It is time we move past that mistake and deal with the present. And to say that that whole thing with Joey cost us more than Owens ever will…did you get that from your crystal ball? Cause the Owens era is not over yet and anything can happen.

Bleed Blue

Dallas 67
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
The media gets on Owens because of a long history of being a jerk, none of them have ever knocked TO ability to play the game not 1. They get on him because of his additude and stupid stunts he as pulled over his career. Galloway is a good player who goes out and does his job without causing turmoil there was never a reason for the media to jump on Galloway. They did however jump on Jones for making the deal along with most fans
True, and that is where I'm trying to go with this. Sometimes things are much different than they seem. One reciever which would never cause trouble and was very professional could end up costing Dallas more than the potential stunts Owens will pull. The bottom line no matter whos fault or the situation Joey will have cost the team the most.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
M Irvin brought more embarassment to the Cowboys than Owens will.

(ducking for cover)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas 67 said:
True, and that is where I'm trying to go with this. Sometimes things are much different than they seem. One reciever which would never cause trouble and was very professional could end up costing Dallas more than the potential stunts Owens will pull. The bottom line no matter whos fault or the situation Joey will have been the most trouble.

TO just got here we are not out of the woods yet with this knuckle head heck we have not even started the season. I think Owens has 10 million dollar talent I also think he has a 10 cent brain that has caused 2 teams to move on without him. It says a lot when a team is willing to get rid of a great talent because they just don't want to deal with him and his antics any longer.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Galloway didn't cause this franchise any trouble. If you want the person to blame for that fiasco, you should look at the guy in Reality's avatar.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

(ducking for cover)
Like I said about the Galloway thing...the Owens era is not over and we don't know what will happen. I thought just signing Owens was an embarassment...But So Far you are right.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

(ducking for cover)

Your right about the embarrassment Irvin brought, when the team and fans should have been celebrating all off-season with their 3rd SB title in 4 years we all got to watch Mike screw up and the focus was shifted to arrests and court appearances.

superpunk

Reaction score
I see what you're trying to say, it probably just didnt come out the way you meant it.

The Joey Galloway deal probably will end up hurting this franchise more than Owens' deal ever will. That is pretty much fact. There's no way Owens can kill our draft, or hurt us in any way if we choose to get rid of him. Galloway's deal hurt us bad, although it was no fault of his.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
This is a fallacy. The Cowboys were in turmoil and could quite possibly been so no matter what else happened.

Say the trade never goes through and we get those two first rounders back. What happens when Jones drafts for need and we have two nobodies on our roster eating up all the cap space? Or we draft two guys and they get injured in camp never seeing a snap. Or we don't have a good receiver so Jones trades away 3 first rounders the following year.

We don't know what would have happened and speculating is revisionists history. You can live in the past or live in the here and now, I'll take now.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas 67 said:

How can you say " ever will "?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Like I said about the Galloway thing...the Owens era is not over and we don't know what will happen. I thought just signing Owens was an embarassment...But So Far you are right.
I understand it was a risk, ... but an embarassment ??

I have never been embarassed like I was during the "White House" years, the drug bust years, ... cocaine and prostitutes, etc.

It was hard being a Cowboys fan during those times, .. was it not ?

It was hard defending that crap.

I just laugh at my friends who ride me about Owens.

Bleed Blue

Dallas 67
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I see what you're trying to say, it probably just didnt come out the way you meant it.

The Joey Galloway deal probably will end up hurting this franchise more than Owens' deal ever will. That is pretty much fact. There's no way Owens can kill our draft, or hurt us in any way if we choose to get rid of him. Galloway's deal hurt us bad, although it was no fault of his.
Thanks!