Joey Galloway caused Dallas More trouble than Owens ever will

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
M Irvin brought more embarassment to the Cowboys than Owens will.

(ducking for cover)

This is what happens to people like you...
n_01lead.jpg
:D

joseephuss

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
This is what happens to people like you...
n_01lead.jpg

No that is what Steeles fans do to their own.

I think it has been pointed out that even if the trade for Galloway had not occurred, that Jerry and company would have still wasted those two first rounders. Dallas went through a down cycle. That happens. Every franchise goes through it. Dallas has gone through it before. Your star players and nucleus get older and need to be replaced. Jerry did a very poor job of replenishing the talent. Getting Galloway was a drastic move and a wrong one. That team was not 1 player away from being a SB contender. More was needed. Those two first round picks were needed and that was not all.

What Jerry and the Cowboys went through is really the opposite of what Landry, Schramm and the Cowboys went through in the late 60s, the 70s and the early 80s. Back then, Dallas was able to keep reloading and maintaing the talent level. Instead of going through a drastic down cycle, they only missed the playoffs 1 year from 1966-1983. They then succomed to nature and hit the downs in the late 80s only to bounce back with Jimmy. It happens. Jerry just ensured the down cycle lingered way too long.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I have never liked Joey Galloway. His first mistake was having the same last name as Randy Galloway. Beyond that, I just never saw him as a valid #1. He got the yards he did in Seattle because he was their primary target. He could use his speed and make a big play, but he couldn't do it when we really needed it, Seattle needed it, and made a single play that I remember when Tampa Bay needed it. Last year was his best year. I seriously doubt he will repeat it, even with Chris Simms coming around. Cadillac Williams was his spring board last year. No surprises this year.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I think it has been pointed out that even if the trade for Galloway had not occurred, that Jerry and company would have still wasted those two first rounders. Dallas went through a down cycle. That happens. Every franchise goes through it. Dallas has gone through it before. Your star players and nucleus get older and need to be replaced. Jerry did a very poor job of replenishing the talent. Getting Galloway was a drastic move and a wrong one. That team was not 1 player away from being a SB contender. More was needed. Those two first round picks were needed and that was not all.

What Jerry and the Cowboys went through is really the opposite of what Landry, Schramm and the Cowboys went through in the late 60s, the 70s and the early 80s. Back then, Dallas was able to keep reloading and maintaing the talent level. Instead of going through a drastic down cycle, they only missed the playoffs 1 year from 1966-1983. They then succomed to nature and hit the downs in the late 80s only to bounce back with Jimmy. It happens. Jerry just ensured the down cycle lingered way too long.

Well put. Let's keep in mind that Galloway was a model citizen while he was in Dallas and was injured early in his tenure with Dallas. Jones made plenty of mistakes during that time and the team suffered as a result. He appears to have learned from those mistakes and appears to trust Parcell's judgment at present. Owens has not done anything to warrant any serious concerns since he became a Cowboy and he appears ready to contribute. This appears to be a better team than we've seen for a decade and Owens seems to want to be part of it.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
I didn't like the Galloway trade for 3 reasons: 1) I thought we needed a possession receiver-type more (However I never thought we'd struggle THAT much with Galloway) 2) We traded for him after he held out as long as possible in Seattle and there was the debate about whether he had enough service time put in to become a free agent and finally 3) As they say in sports "He got a contract" to players whose determination wanes once paid, considering how badly Galloway wanted a new deal in Seattle I was afraid he was going to "Eric Dampier" us.

To me #2 hurt the most because Jerry had openly talked the past few months before about how he was going to end his practice of big signing bonuses and that players would have to earn their pay, to me when he pulled the Galloway trade/signing it was like he went back on his word...plus I still believe in the Jimmy Johnson theory that draft picks are gold........

joseephuss

Reaction score
nyc said:
I have never liked Joey Galloway. His first mistake was having the same last name as Randy Galloway. Beyond that, I just never saw him as a valid #1. He got the yards he did in Seattle because he was their primary target. He could use his speed and make a big play, but he couldn't do it when we really needed it, Seattle needed it, and made a single play that I remember when Tampa Bay needed it. Last year was his best year. I seriously doubt he will repeat it, even with Chris Simms coming around. Cadillac Williams was his spring board last year. No surprises this year.

I think his best year was 2002. To get 900 yards and 6 TDs with 2nd year Quincy Carter and rookie been away from the game Chad Hutchinson at QB, rookie Antonio Bryant at the other reciever spot and a porous offensive line was quite a feat.

Of course he was the primary target in Seattle. That is why he was drafted. He wasn't the only target. They had Brian Blades who was a good receiver and they also had Mike Pritchard. Galloway was very good. You don't luck into gaining 4122 yards and scoring 36 TDs in your first four seasons. He just wasn't worth two 1st rounders. No one is.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Didnt Seattle take Shaun Alexander and another good player with those two # 1 picks?

ooffaa!

ravidubey

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
He just wasn't worth two 1st rounders. No one is.

Certainly not since free agency and the seven round draft have made draft choices more important than ever.

Galloway was used as a decoy here in Dallas because Bill knew we didn't have the QB to get him the football and take advantage of his speed. Since defenses have to put a good corner on Joey and then rotate a second defender into his vicinity or suffer, he was good at clearing zones while Glenn mopped up underneath and occasionally deep away from Galloway.

With Simms, stronger-armed than Quincy Carter and more accurate than Chad Hutchinson, Galloway is thriving and making Tampa forget they drafted Michael Clayton.

In 2005 Galloway caught 83 balls short, intermediate, and deep for 1287 yards 10 TD's. BTW, he's a big reason Tampa was a playoff team last year.

ravidubey

Reaction score
YoMick said:
Didnt Seattle take Shaun Alexander and another good player with those two # 1 picks?

Seattle got the 7th overall pick in 2001 because Dallas stunk so badly in 2000 and they traded down with SF and got an extra 3rd round pick (FB Heath Evans), 7th round pick (OT Dennis Norman), and took Koren Robinson with SF's 9th pick.

Jerry'd probably have drafted Sylvester Morris instead of Shawn Alexander in 2000, so be happy we didn't have that pick.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Galloway didn't cause this franchise any trouble. If you want the person to blame for that fiasco, you should look at the guy in Reality's avatar.

I seem to remember a hicup early on w/ Galloway about a big party he threw and assaulted someone. Don't remember all the details and it wasn't a huge ordeal (like Eric Williams or Irvin), but Galloway caused a few articles in the media as a result.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Jerry'd probably have drafted Sylvester Morris instead of Shawn Alexander in 2000, so be happy we didn't have that pick.

:laugh1: sad, but funny...and probably true

J-DOG

Reaction score
Dallas 67 said:
Opening old wounds with this one but do you remember the two #1s it cost Dallas to get Joey? The great "Q" was the 53 pick and the first Cowboy drafted.This was a time when the draft could help a much less talented team and NO #1s to be had. Stewart, Weatherington and Steel were just a few that would not even have a chance on this team but that was the state of the Cowboys then. This year a 4th and a 6th are in trouble of even making the final roster. Joey was just not good for the team on the field or to its future. T.O. will never cause this much trouble and yet alot of people even felt sorry for Joey saying he was just in the wrong system.
What harm can TO actually do to this team?
I think we have better wr's than the eagles and are hands are not tied if TO does not play for us like the way the eagles were.
You brought up a good point about the two #1's that we gave up for Galloway.
At that time JJ was not doing a good job at being a GM.
The scouting dept.(Lacewell)was nothing like it is now either.
The only gamble in getting TO now is the money that comes out of JJ's wallet...not two #1 picks.
I think the Cowboys survive and are competitive with or without TO.
Getting to the Superbowl is why we signed TO. But without him we are still a good team.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Seattle got the 7th overall pick in 2001 because Dallas stunk so badly in 2000 and they traded down with SF and got an extra 3rd round pick (FB Heath Evans), 7th round pick (OT Dennis Norman), and took Koren Robinson with SF's 9th pick.

SF took Andre Carter with the 7th overall pick from Seattle from Dallas. Seattle also got Steve Hutchinson at 17th. He would have looked nice with a Star on his helmet...

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I'll say up front that I think 2 #1's is too much to give up for any player except maybe a proven true franchise QB. However, having said that one can't truly evaluate the Galloway trade without taking into account the near catastrophic series of events that took place with our receiving and QB corps.

I may have the wrong order of events here but the gist is the same: We sign Rocket to compliment Irvin the Irvin goes down with a career ending injury to the wild applause of philthy fans. We sign McKnight to be a possession receiver opposite of Rocket and McKnight misses most of his first year with an injury, so we go get Galloway who promptly goes down with a season ending injury in his first game.

McKnight leaves in free agency leaving us with 2 identical types of players. Small speedy deep threats but no posession receiver. Plus Rocket suffers various injuries. At one (or maybe even two) times during a 3 year period we had to play a significant number of games with our #'s 4 and 5 receivers starting.

Anthony Miller is the only other decent receiver I can remember us having during that time, but he was injured too. We were relying on the likes of Billy Davis and a bunch of no-names.

To make matters worse Aikman is having back problems that eventually force him to retire and we are stuck with the likes of QC, Hutch, Leaf, Wright, Stoerner, etc. to try to get the ball to Rocket and Galloway who survived the slaughter. What a fiasco!!

In short, if either the plan to have Irvin/Rocket or Irvin/Galloway had panned out, the trade would have been successful albiet too expensive. We were snakebit partners. That's all there was to it. I truly appreciated JJ wanting to win enough to go out and get us the receiving threats that Troy needed. Unforseen injuries and bad drafting is what killed us. Not the Galloway trade.

joseephuss

Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
I'll say up front that I think 2 #1's is too much to give up for any player except maybe a proven true franchise QB. However, having said that one can't truly evaluate the Galloway trade without taking into account the near catastrophic series of events that took place with our receiving and QB corps.

I may have the wrong order of events here but the gist is the same: We sign Rocket to compliment Irvin the Irvin goes down with a career ending injury to the wild applause of philthy fans. We sign McKnight to be a possession receiver opposite of Rocket and McKnight misses most of his first year with an injury, so we go get Galloway who promptly goes down with a season ending injury in his first game.

McKnight leaves in free agency leaving us with 2 identical types of players. Small speedy deep threats but no posession receiver. Plus Rocket suffers various injuries. At one (or maybe even two) times during a 3 year period we had to play a significant number of games with our #'s 4 and 5 receivers starting.

Anthony Miller is the only other decent receiver I can remember us having during that time, but he was injured too. We were relying on the likes of Billy Davis and a bunch of no-names.

To make matters worse Aikman is having back problems that eventually force him to retire and we are stuck with the likes of QC, Hutch, Leaf, Wright, Stoerner, etc. to try to get the ball to Rocket and Galloway who survived the slaughter. What a fiasco!!

In short, if either the plan to have Irvin/Rocket or Irvin/Galloway had panned out, the trade would have been successful albiet too expensive. We were snakebit partners. That's all there was to it. I truly appreciated JJ wanting to win enough to go out and get us the receiving threats that Troy needed. Unforseen injuries and bad drafting is what killed us. Not the Galloway trade.

Anthony Miller played with Dallas in 1997. It was his last year in the NFL.

Ismail and McNight were both signed in 1999. McNight was never a possesion receiver. Some said he was faster than Galloway. He was to be the 3rd guy and Ismail could run out of the slot when they went three wides. Unfortunately, McNight was injured early in training camp. Irvin then suffered his career ending injury.

In 2000, Jerry made the infamous trade for Galloway.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I've always been of the opinion that assuming we had the same record, if we hadn't spent those first rounders on Galloway, Michael Vick would now be a Cowboy. Think about it, Jerry had the #9 pick if he hadn't given it to Seattle, and it was the year the Boys needed a QB. They were determined to draft their next Aikman come hell or high water and it was a very weak draft for QBs. Vick was the bonafide franchise guy, Brees was seen as a possible solid starter, and then there were guys like Carter who the Cowboys reached for. Even though Quincy has always been more of a pocket passer, Jerry was in love with his speed. Remember all his press? He was "mobile this" and "mobile that" and "the speedy QB will be the wave fo the future." Most important, San Diego was in the market to trade its first pick which it eventually gave to Atlanta. Jerry is a gambling man and when he locks his eyes on a target, he doesn't let go. Yup, Vick would have been a Cowboy all right. So I guess it's good or bad, depending on how overrated or underrated you think Vick is. It also might have meant another year of Campo because I'm sure Vick's legs would have won us more than five games. Either way, we lose a hell of a lot of draft picks, because I'm sure Dallas would have lost at least another 1st and 2 seconds to move up that far.

Just another one of those fun what if moments in Cowboys history. :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I've always been of the opinion that assuming we had the same record, if we hadn't spent those first rounders on Galloway, Michael Vick would now be a Cowboy. Think about it, Jerry had the #9 pick if he hadn't given it to Seattle, and it was the year the Boys needed a QB. They were determined to draft their next Aikman come hell or high water and it was a very weak draft for QBs. Vick was the bonafide franchise guy, Brees was seen as a possible solid starter, and then there were guys like Carter who the Cowboys reached for. Even though Quincy has always been more of a pocket passer, Jerry was in love with his speed. Remember all his press? He was "mobile this" and "mobile that" and "the speedy QB will be the wave fo the future." Most important, San Diego was in the market to trade its first pick which it eventually gave to Atlanta. Jerry is a gambling man and when he locks his eyes on a target, he doesn't let go. Yup, Vick would have been a Cowboy all right. So I guess it's good or bad, depending on how overrated or underrated you think Vick is. It also might have meant another year of Campo because I'm sure Vick's legs would have won us more than five games.

Just another one of those fun what if moments in Cowboys history. :D

Vick the novelty QB? Thankfully Atl got stuck with him. He is a great athlete but I would not want him as a QB

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Does anyone have a gamelog for the pickle juice game? I still remember a lot about that game, but it's real fuzzy. I have always blamed Gailey for Galloway and the way things panned out here.

I just don't have the facts to back up my arguement right now.

Any site I can search for the Pickle Juice game log?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
Does anyone have a gamelog for the pickle juice game? I still remember a lot about that game, but it's real fuzzy. I have always blamed Gailey for Galloway and the way things panned out here.

I just don't have the facts to back up my arguement right now.

Any site I can search for the Pickle Juice game log?

I remember Duce Staley put up 200 rushing yards on Dallas that hot day. I also remember Reid pulling the onside kick to open the game. Now if you don't mind I want to forget about that game. :laugh2:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I remember Duce Staley put up 200 rushing yards on Dallas that hot day. I also remember Reid pulling the onside kick to open the game. Now if you don't mind I want to forget about that game. :laugh2:

"Screen pass to Duce. Slips a tackle, to the 30, to the 20, to the....."

:bang2:

(Yeah, I know that's not exactly how it happened, but seemed to hear a lot of that in those days.)