Joey Galloway

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
expendable = got beat out.

Galloway in the final year of the contract also played a part in that. In todays football it is not as easy to say the guy was no good and released money plays a bigger role in what teams do now days.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Galloway in the final year of the contract also played a part in that. In todays football it is not as easy to say the guy was no good and released money plays a bigger role in what teams do now days.

so he was in the doghouse for the 2nd half of the season because of his contract -- you know BP doesn't roll like that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are involved in talks that would allow the teams to swap Keyshawn Johnson for Joey Galloway.

When reached at his home in Los Angeles on Monday night, Johnson confirmed to the St. Petersburg Times that Bucs general manager Bruce Allen has granted permission for his agent, Jerome Stanley, to talk to the Cowboys about a possible trade.

When asked by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram about the rumor, Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones replied, “What I will say is [Galloway] is on our team and under contract”.

The Times reported that Jones approached Allen about a possible trade last week at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

The trade cannot be made official until that start of free agency on March 3.

Johnson is due a $1 million roster bonus that the Bucs now appear ready to pay to control his rights through to opening day. He has four years remaining on his current eight-year contract worth $56 million.

The Bucs deactivated Johnson in November. Head coach Jon Gruden said Johnson had become disruptive in the locker room. The Bucs were 4-6 at that point.

Johnson and Galloway are both due about $6 million this year and while Johnson appeared to be on the verge of being released this year, Galloway’s agent has been working with the Cowboys to restructure the deal.

Galloway came to Dallas when Jones gave up two first-round selections to the Seattle Seahawks in 2000, signing a seven-year, $42 million contract. But he tore an anterior cruciate ligament in the opening day game and was lost for the season.

His best season in Dallas came in 2002 when he caught 61 passes for 908 yards with six touchdowns. Last season, Galloway finished fifth on the team with 34 receptions for 672 yards (19.8-yard average) and two touchdowns. He also averaged 8.9 yards on 20 punt returns

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
so he was in the doghouse for the 2nd half of the season because of his contract -- you know BP doesn't roll like that.

He was due a 6 mill dollar bonus, we got Glenn at a much better price. Money does play a part in releasing players especially when certain bonus money is due.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm glad to see the deal work out for both players. Dallas got what they needed in Key and Tampa got the deep threat they lacked.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
The Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are involved in talks that would allow the teams to swap Keyshawn Johnson for Joey Galloway.

Apples and Oranges Dooms -- my argument was that Galloway sucked in his last year with us - he only caught 34 freaking balls.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
No hard feelings toward Galloway, I wished him the best when he bounced.

The fact is, we got Glenn for a 6th rounder. He is our speed WR, though Galloway is probably faster.

We needed the type of WR Key is. We had no big WR with the ability to go over the middle. We would have had 3 WR with big play potential, but none who were an intimidating presence to make the hard 7 yards over the middle.

The Galloway Johnson trade was a good move for both teams. Key brings the size, hands, and blocking we would have lacked with Glenn and Galloway. Also, don't forget, we were banking on Bryant to turn into something. Glenn and Bryant would have been our big play WR, and Key the possesion type.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Apples and Oranges Dooms -- my argument was that Galloway sucked in his last year with us - he only caught 34 freaking balls.

Point taken, I hold no ill feeling for Galloway and glad things are working out for him in Tampa. The trade between the 2 teams has worked out for both.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Both teams are winning now. Both WR are contributing to their respective teams. I think that's all that matters. I wouldn't mind Galloway's speed, but not at the cost of Keys blocking and size. Plus Key gives us a better target in the Red Zone, and that had been one of our biggest problems in all our losing seasons, terrible production in the red zone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Both teams are winning now. Both WR are contributing to their respective teams. I think that's all that matters. I wouldn't mind Galloway's speed, but not at the cost of Keys blocking and size. Plus Key gives us a better target in the Red Zone, and that had been one of our biggest problems in all our losing seasons, terrible production in the red zone.

I agree. With Glenn providing the deep threat and Key working over the middle it has been a blessing for this team. For Joey he is a big part of the Tampa team and I loved seeing him come up with some big plays last week aginst the skins.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Exactly. And all that are fretting this trade because of what Galloway is doing this year, just remember that Bryant was also supposed to be one of the big play guys for us. How glad we found Crayton.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Point taken, I hold no ill feeling for Galloway and glad things are working out for him in Tampa. The trade between the 2 teams has worked out for both.

Hey, I loved Joey -- I recall watching several games his final season in Seattle and seeing him get downfield on some long passes -- and thinking "wow, I wish we had that guy".

But had Jerry only waited a little -- seen if Seattle would take less than two firsts....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Exactly. And all that are fretting this trade because of what Galloway is doing this year, just remember that Bryant was also supposed to be one of the big play guys for us. How glad we found Crayton.

Having 2 deep threats and no big WR was not cutting it in my opinion I think in a ball control system you need both the guy who can stretch the field and the big possession man to go over the middle. That is why I had no problem with trading Galloway for Key, it was never personal for me.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Does anyone know if this is a contract year for Joey?

Aber, the only problem with waiting in Jerry's mind at that time if you recall, was that Snyder was apparently chomping at the bit to add him too. Remember, this was just one season into Snyder having bought the Skins, and he was still playing "fantasy football" with his roster and salary cap. So I think in the end, it was Jerry getting very antsy about a division rival one-upping him that ended up working to Holmgren's benefit.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I'd rather have Galloway than Price but I'd rather have Glenn than Galloway. JG is looking good and making plays in TB but Glenn is a better all-around receiver.
I know it unrealistic(for many reasons), but having Galloway as the 4th receiver would have been incredible.