John Abraham talk again

Eskimo

Reaction score
He has only had one truly dominant year as a pass rusher (13 sacks) and that was about 5 years ago. He has only had double digit sacks in 2 years. He has also missed substantial portions of 3 years and there were some definite attitudinal issues last year around playoff time.

I think he is a talent but he is not an elite player. If the price is reasonable ($4m/yr for 4 years) I would consider him - otherwise I'd pass. He does not deserve a mega-deal ala Kearse (who also did not deserve the deal he got).

DBoys

Reaction score
Ya but next year guys we will have a lot of money to spend. We have a lot of dead money going away after this year. I think it is close to what we had this year I maybe wrong.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't think Abraham is a top priority and I'd have to see how much he's looking for and what Dallas' cap looks like.

You've got the following guys possibly competing at the LOLB spot next year:

-Al Singleton
-Scott Fujita
-Kevin Burnett
-Kalen Thornton

I'm pretty confident in that. I think the LOLB spot needs to improve or teams will start taking advantage of that. But currently the defense is doing fine and my guess is that Fujita and Burnett will be much improved with a years worth of experience in the 3-4 under their belt.

OTOH, while I don't mind Pettiti and like Tucker's play this year, they need to improve right tackle. They also need major improvements at right guard and center.

Essentially, they could win a Super Bowl with this defense. But they are not going to win a Super Bowl with this O-Line.

Rich........

Eskimo

Reaction score
DBoys said:
Ya but next year guys we will have a lot of money to spend. We have a lot of dead money going away after this year. I think it is close to what we had this year I maybe wrong.

In a world with limited means (salary cap) you have to spend every dollar wisely. I'm not sure about the comment of all the dead money - we potentially could be ridding ourselves of LA next year. We might even have to bite the bullet on Rivera. We will soon need to get extensions done for Witten, Roy Williams, TNew and BJames so you have to keep in mind future implications of contracts taken on today.

I don't have any problem spending money for talent but also believe you should not overpay.

Out of curiousity, isn't Simeon Rice going to be a FA next year? He could be a devastating situational pass rusher for 2nd and 3rd and longs - might be cheaper than Abraham. His attitude may even be worse than Abraham's.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If the unlikely scenerio develops that Abraham becomes available, bringing him in is an absolute no brainer. Watch a Jets game sometime. He may not get the sack, but he's constantly demanding doubleteams and harassing the QB on every snap. The SOLB position has to be filled (and preferably upgraded) in free agency or the draft, and I would rather spend $14 million signing bonus on a potentially great player than spend a $7 million dollar signing bonus on a mediocre player like Fujita.

Hiero

Reaction score
yep i would much rather get a rookie in here to compete.

50cent

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
If the unlikely scenerio develops that Abraham becomes available, bringing him in is an absolute no brainer. Watch a Jets game sometime. He may not get the sack, but he's constantly demanding doubleteams and harassing the QB on every snap. The SOLB position has to be filled (and preferably upgraded) in free agency or the draft, and I would rather spend $14 million signing bonus on a potentially great player than spend a $7 million dollar signing bonus on a mediocre player like Fujita.
You truly agree with you except for one thing. Tell me what you feel? If Abraham were to sign, wouldn't he be better suited than Ware to play the ROLB position. BP has gone on record to saying he wanted a bigger player on the left side for run support. Ware would actually give us an advantage at the LOLB postion with his weight and pass rushing skills, while Abraham is used to playing the ROLB. Call me crazy, but I really don't care as long as he gets here. Although it is food for thought.

Eskimo

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

If he were healthier and consistently had a good attitude I wouldn't have as big an issue bringing him in here for a $10M SB - I'm not crazy about accepting all the baggage that comes with him and I'm definitely not crazy about a $14M SB for such a fragile player.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
50cent said:
You truly agree with you except for one thing. Tell me what you feel? If Abraham were to sign, wouldn't he be better suited than Ware to play the ROLB position. BP has gone on record to saying he wanted a bigger player on the left side for run support. Ware would actually give us an advantage at the LOLB postion with his weight and pass rushing skills, while Abraham is used to playing the ROLB. Call me crazy, but I really don't care as long as he gets here. Although it is food for thought.

Ware is truly just a ROLB this year, because he's still learning coverages and passing schemes. As he gets more experience in the techniques, he certainly has the ability to play over the TE ... he certainly has the athletic ability and speed.

Reaction score
I believe with BP here his attitude wouldn't be a problem, I know we have to tighten up on the OLine no doubt but exploring Abraham should be something we look at closely.

50cent

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Ware is truly just a ROLB this year, because he's still learning coverages and passing schemes. As he gets more experience in the techniques, he certainly has the ability to play over the TE ... he certainly has the athletic ability and speed.
Without a doubt this year, but as he becomes more familiar with the position he should be able to make the adjustment easily. I actually saw a picture from our last game with Ware over the TE vs. the Giants. He has the athletic abiltiy to do it and with Abraham on the other side, oh the possibilties!!!!!!!!!!!