John Carpenter's "The Thing" is getting a 4K UHD release September 2021

triplets_93

Reaction score
Funny. The very first time I watched the movie, I was not engrossed in the opening scene of the Norwegian helicopter crew chasing and shooting at the dog. My thoughts were, "Dog? Being chased by helicopter? Rifle? Dog? Dude is a terrible shot." :rolleyes:

My eyes have been glued to that opening scene every freaking time I have re-watched the movie. And I have re-watched The Thing MANY times. "That guy is probably hitting that dog every time he pulls the trigger..."

I am amazed that the dog seems to be outrunning a helicopter... :huh:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I am a big horror fan but for some reason, I have never seen this. I will pick up the 4k and check it out.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny. The very first time I watched the movie, I was not engrossed in the opening scene of the Norwegian helicopter crew chasing and shooting at the dog. My thoughts were, "Dog? Being chased by helicopter? Rifle? Dog? Dude is a terrible shot." :rolleyes:

My eyes have been glued to that opening scene every freaking time I have re-watched the movie. And I have re-watched The Thing MANY times. "That guy is probably hitting that dog every time he pulls the trigger..."

If you knew how to speak Norwegian you would have understood fully because he gives away the entire plot by saying...

"Get the hell away! It's not a dog, it's some sort of thing! It's imitating a dog, it isn't real! GET AWAY, YOU IDIOTS!"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am a big horror fan but for some reason, I have never seen this. I will pick up the 4k and check it out.
Double-check your food and drinks setup first before starting the movie. You will not be making any runs for the fridge for about an hour and 50 minutes. Trust me. :)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It's such a great movie, one of my all time favorites. It's filled with some great scenes and great lines.

"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time... I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS F#@%&G COUCH!

"I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and p#$%ed off"

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's such a great movie, one of my all time favorites. It's filled with some great scenes and great lines.

"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time... I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS F#@%&G COUCH!

"I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and p#$%ed off"

He was right. It was weird and pissed off.

Interesting that over the years fans have repeatedly tried to figure out who the dog infected at the beginning... The dog wanders in a room and all you see is a shadow of someone on the wall– It had to be either Palmer or Norris, but the "secret" has never been told by those in the know.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't usually like subplots in my creature features, let the creature be the feature, but this one was special.

The other thing I liked about "The Thing", and the same about "Alien", was no attempts at humor to break the dread spell. Once that feeling sets in, I want to ride that to the end and both of these delivered very well from the opening scores throughout. I want that feeling that I inhaled as it began and didn't exhale until the end credits.

When I was a kid, the original was all we had and it was like most creature features back then, poorly acted but the saving grace was Marshall Matt Dillon as the thing. The music was cheesy, much like The Creature form the Black Lagoon, but I thought this version was very well acted and the score helped make it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those interested for a more indepth discussion of the movie I would suggest "All About the Thing" by Robert Meakin, which you can read here...

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/10016760/all-about-the-thing

Here's a brief part of the book:

"And then comes one of the great shots of the film. The dog slowly enters a
corridor, his head cocked, walks towards us, pauses at one doorway and glances inside,
seemingly to check if it is empty, walks towards us again, pauses to look inside another
room, and then enters. We pan around to follow him but then hold on the wall, which
shows a human shadow. The shadow turns to look at the noise. Fade out. In one sense
this is lightening caught in a bottle: It’s amazing just how well the dog acts.
We know something important has happened but not to whom. Important
information is being withheld. It is the first time such explicit control has been exercised
since we saw the flying saucer at the beginning. It creates terrific suspense but it also
reminds us of the guiding intelligence telling the story. The film is not discovering the
story as we do (a favourite approach for action films because it can create a sense of
urgency), instead it is being presented to us. It is unusual for this film to take over so
explicitly but that sense of control is always there."

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Never?

Wow!

After watching this film, check out he prequel that was made about 30 years after. Not as good as Carpenter's film but still a good watch.

Yeah, it is weird. I have heard of it and I think I started it once a while back, but got distracted and never went back.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Wiki: US Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amundsen–Scott_South_Pole_Station

During the summer the station population is typically around 150. Most personnel leave by the middle of February, leaving a few dozen (39 in 2021) “winter-overs”, mostly support staff plus a few scientists, who keep the station functional through the months of Antarctic night. The winter personnel are isolated there between mid-February and late October. Wintering-over presents notorious dangers and stresses, as the station population is almost totally isolated. The station is completely self-sufficient during the winter, and powered by three generators running on JP-8 jet fuel. An annual tradition is a back-to-back viewing of The Thing from Another World (1951), The Thing (1982), and The Thing (2011) after the last flight has left for the winter.

A Tour of the S. Pole Station

Music Room: 5:50
The Thing Mention: 6:46

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dude, when I was a kid in the 80s that movie gave me nightmares for years as an adolescent.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This movie and the exorcist still hold up with some wild special effects and not cgi.
The thing has a couple of things that looked a little off but for the most part it was really great in that area.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Arrived this morning....

But I'll watch it at night sometime over the Holiday Weekend.

51421808666_125d3e953b_o.jpg