John Fassell expected to be hired as Special Teams coach - Post 17

Qcard

Reaction score
There has to be a rule against having too many great coaches...
Oh don't worry about that. Mara is trying to figure out a way to penalize Jerry for pissing on Rooney Rule...we will be docked Draft picks and fined.. book it

Reactions: JPM

DandyDon52

Reaction score
he was part of the problem. I was hoping they would bring in all proven guys. Having moore he is going to create a situation where if things start slow or go bad the story will be about moore.

when wade was hired he brought along a young coach he liked from San Diego, Brian Stewart. By the end of 2008 anything that went wrong with the defense got attributed to him and he was a constant story and focal point and had to be fired after the 08 season.

I think the same distracting thing is going to happen with moore, especially if he calls plays.

also one of the reasons Norv Turner didn't want the job here in 07 after interviewing was because jerry told him he had to take Garrett as his OC and garrett would call plays. Seems like a similar predicament.
lol moore wont call plays, the play callers will be MM on offense and Nolan on defense.
Kellen will probably just help design plays and coach players on executing those plays. He would be a OC trainee, which is what he should be.

kumizi

Reaction score
McCarthy and Fassell are solid and experienced. I could've done with sexier but not too shabby.

Nolan is the one I'm having a hard time coming around on.

MMObserver

Reaction score
McCarthy and Fassell are solid and experienced. I could've done with sexier but not too shabby.

Nolan is the one I'm having a hard time coming around on.

Excellent observations.

Mac went outside his comfort zone in hiring a top-notch ST coordinator in Fassel -- he completely ignored STs in Green Bay and they were woeful.

Cowboy fans should also be concerned that Mac hired a close and long-time friend from his past to coordinate the D in Mike Nolan.

This is the type of crony hire that was far too common when it came to his coaching staff in Green Bay.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have been happy with Fassell as a HC. Getting him for ST is an outright coup, and shows McCarthy actually cares about ST. Terrific hire.
Jim Fassel was an NFL Head Coach.

John Fassel was just hired...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I would have been happy with Fassell as a HC. Getting him for ST is an outright coup, and shows McCarthy actually cares about ST. Terrific hire.

McCarthy is not an idiot like Clappy...……………….I LOVE THIS MOVE!!!!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sean McVay didn't wan this guy back?

His contract was up...……….coaches are free to sign anywhere once their contracts are up.

He either really likes McCarthy and wants to be on his staff or we offered more $$$$$.

Chappy

Reaction score
Best signing so far.

Absolutely rapt with this decision and if you want to be the best you recruit the best mentors.

Our special team plays were deplorable last season and no way Jones comes back and Forbath is a big ???

I hope we draft an outstanding punter and kicker late in the draft and we have a few compensation picks to use on them late. Let Fasel have free reign on selecting them with 2 real late picks. I have no doubt he would already be scouting potential college kids.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
As ST coach
WOW. And to think Jerry was quoted saying "O'Quinn wasn't going anywhere". Promoting him back in '18 was a giant mistake. What a waste. Keep going Jerry. This type of house-cleaning will get you deep into the playoffs.

Oneiros

Reaction score
Hope we keep Kitna. Dak made a jump this year in his release.
I think a lot of what Kitna brought to Dak last offseason will be addressed by McCarthy's QB Camp that he has put on for some time.

If you go back and look at Rodger's early on during his rookie year and preseason he was a completely different QB and his mechanics, release and footwork looked nothing like it did after he began working with McCarthy.

Even Rodgers has credited those camps for helping him become a better QB. If you fast forward to around 0:52 seconds the the video the segment starts regarding McCarthy's yearly QB camp:

I'm hoping that if we decide to continue to stick with Dak going forward that this will help him improve his mechanics, release and footwork wise.