John Fassell expected to be hired as Special Teams coach - Post 17

Blackrain

Reaction score
I get the feeling this whole thing has been brewing for much longer than the last couple of weeks.
Red herrings everywhere about brilliant college coaches, the mighty Hoodie, up and coming OCs and DCs of other teams, yada, yada, yada.
McCarthy sure had some key assistant picks lined up real quick.

Jerry is a business man and I think he had Mac lined up last year told him to have all his ducks in a row so he could hit the ground running . Jerry had decided Garrett was done this year with anything short of a SB that he knew was an impossibility

silvernblu

Reaction score
Will we actually consider a run back?

Can we now expect even a possibility of a punt block?

Good times!

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Jerry is a business man and I think he had Mac lined up last year told him to have all his ducks in a row so he could hit the ground running . Jerry had decided Garrett was done this year with anything short of a SB that he knew was an impossibility

I agree that this hire had probably been in place for a while. If Jerry's criteria was that he wanted an experienced NFL head coach, there weren't a lot of good options out there.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Again...for consideration

1. Everyone wants the Cowboys, America’s team, on his resume if opportunity knocks.
  2. Everyone wants to coach with a Super Bowl winner (team, owner, coach).
  3. Maybe they all believe our talent and owner’s commitment to winning is better than our record, so being part of the staff that turns it around shines bright on resumes and presents future opportunities.
We should not be surprised that McCarthy can bring in solid coaches. We should be disgusted that Jerry didn’t allow Garrett and others to hire coaches and delegate authority.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Makes sense. Players made sure. He lost them last year.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
What is a consideration is some of the speculation where they backed off and allowed McCarthy to pick his guys.

It is looking very nice on the D and ST side. Let's see how the O works out.

But let's not kid ourselves that the Joneses had anything to do with these hires other than pushing the contracts across the table.
Actually, the Jones's were instrumental in the hires in that they allowed MM to pick his own staff. That hasn't always been the case here.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Jim Fassel was an NFL Head Coach.

John Fassel was just hired...

Yeah, I know. I certainly wasn't advocating for freaking Jim Fassel!

I think more ST coaches should get HC gigs. Harbaugh in Baltimore was the Eagles's ST coach prior to getting the Ravens gig. The Giants just hired Judge from NE (their ST/WR coach). Belichick himself coached ST long, long ago.

Carson

Reaction score
Remember the name Pharoh Cooper. He was bounced around the league last season, but was dominant two years ago under Fassel.

BigD_95

Reaction score
the Kellen moore thing sucks but I like the fassel hire.

the more nervous jittery uptight guys afraid to lose we can get the better. Fassel is that guy to a T. Mike Nolan is that guy, McCarthy is a Pittsburgh blue collar big mouth. this is all good news.

more loud uptight guys.

Not sure why the Moore thing sucks. McCarthy is still calling the plays and Moore can learn from him.

Lets face it. Dak had his best year under Moore calling his plays - He also had the #1 offense in his first year calling plays. 2 1,000 yard WR & 1,000 yard RB - Moore deserves some credit. With a real coach like McCarthy there Moore can improve and get better. Plus I think McCarthy wants some of Moore's ideas.