Jon Kitna as next head coach

cern

Reaction score
I think Bill Callahan would make a great HC in Dallas for many reasons. The offensive line would return to elite status, he's already familiar with the organization (The Jones), Moore would continue to grew and evolve as an OC and let Kris Richard run the entire defense without Marinelli (sp). Lastly Callahan has plenty of NFL EXPERIENCE!
Callahan was somewhat unceremoniously run out of dallas. doubt he'd be happy to return.

cern

Reaction score
What I think: There's almost no chance Kitna gets a HC gig anywhere within the next 3 years.

There are dozens and dozens of position coaches that have a major impact on the players they coach. Being a HC has almost nothing to do with focusing on one group (with some notable QB whisperer exceptions) and everything to do with a much, much broader picture of the team that includes roles Kitna has had no opportunity to be exposed to.

Anyone who has watched the Cowboys episodes of All or Nothing understands what Jones likes about Garrett and why he wants any reason to justify keeping him. Setting aside lack of success in the playoffs, even Garrett's record as a HC is decent. His win percentage ranks him 7th among current coaches with more than 100 games under their belts. That's not bad. It's not Bellichick, but it's not bad.
but it's worth noting that the lastest 3 rockstars of coaching, mcvay, Pederson and shanahan are all known for their ability to develop qb's. and qb is the most important position on the field.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anything would be better than Garrett.
I agree Garrett should be replaced, but the notion that he is the worst of the worst of NFL coaches is false. The reality is that there have been boatloads of coaches that have done worse both in recent times and throughout the history of the NFL.

The only thing notable about Garrett is that he has been allowed more longevity than most head coaches would have been given. The other thing that magnifies Garrett's shortcoming is the consecutive 8-8 seasons he started his head coaching career with. His record since, while still obviously falling short of the goal, would not be considered bottom tier by any measure.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Bill Callahan would make a great HC in Dallas for many reasons. The offensive line would return to elite status, he's already familiar with the organization (The Jones), Moore would continue to grew and evolve as an OC and let Kris Richard run the entire defense without Marinelli (sp). Lastly Callahan has plenty of NFL EXPERIENCE!
The Oakland Raiders and Nebraska Cornhuskers both dropped off significantly with Callahan as head coach.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
but it's worth noting that the lastest 3 rockstars of coaching, mcvay, Pederson and shanahan are all known for their ability to develop qb's. and qb is the most important position on the field.

Can't take away the Rams SB appearance last year, but Rock Star McVay and his pupil managed 3(!) points in that game, tied with the lowest score ever posted by a SB team (nod to the Cowboys for holding the Dolphins to 3 points). They're 6-4 this year. I know another team that's 6-4 as well.

Shanahan: No argument from me here. He's got Jimmy G. rocking right now.

Pederson: Did you really invoke his name as a QB whisperer? He won a SB.....with Foles. The Eagles look pretty pedestrian atm.

I'm not a 'Garrett or bust' guy. I WANT him to succeed, but if he doesn't get us a deep run this year, I don't know how we don't make a change.

renny

Reaction score
Callahan was somewhat unceremoniously run out of dallas. doubt he'd be happy to return.
In a different role (HC) I thing he would.
He was stripped of play calling in favor of Linehan.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
lol, now its just degrading. I like Jon Kitna, but not as HC. wow, this orgnaization really has no standards left.
It’s not like a deal is in place. Lol

Nobody but the local mediots and fans are talking about this.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol, now its just degrading. I like Jon Kitna, but not as HC. wow, this orgnaization really has no standards left.
What are you talking about? The "organization" didn't say Kitna was being looked at as the next head coach.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was listening to 103.5 the fan and they mentioned the possibility of promoting kitna to head coach since he’s clearly had an impact on how well Dak is playing this year. Doing so would allow us to keep Moore as OC and Richard as DC. (Although I wouldn’t be against getting a whole new defensive staff). Anyway what do you guys think of that?
what warrants him to be a good head coach...he has done well with Dak and his mechanics, but canhe game plan? what's his ability as a game manager? etc...

and why we want to keep Richard? what has he done here to warrant being promoted to a DC? I am not sold on Richard.

jsb357

Reaction score
Dave Campo was a solid DB coach and DC. He had zero talent on his teams. Personally, I would take him over Garrett.

a good DC does not always = good HC. Dave W was a great DC but as HC in Chicago and Miami both teams got worse the longer he was there

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a good DC does not always = good HC. Dave W was a great DC but as HC in Chicago and Miami both teams got worse the longer he was there
Wade Phillips is another example.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Heck, I think Moore should be head coach over Kitna. This offense is rolling down the tracks with the new scheme. Everyone was correct about old OC Scott Linoleum. Make Moore HC, Kitna, OC and find a DC.
Go Dallas!!

We need a damn DC. Everyone else 4-3 is rolling tight except the Cowboys.