Video: Jon Machota On Likeliest Possibilities At 26, Top Cowboys Positions Of Need | The Get Right

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think he’s reading the tea leaves. With all the WR’s coming in he thinks that moght be a position they are looking at. Certainly possible. I think at this point they could go a number of ways.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Hyatt being a top 40 guy makes him a possibility. At 26 you likely taking a guy with a 2nd round grade. I dont think they take Hyatt with Flowers on the board though unless they are really concerned with his drops.

IMO the three most likely picks right now are McDonald, Flowers and Forbes

rambo2

Reaction score
I think he’s reading the tea leaves. With all the WR’s coming in he thinks that moght be a position they are looking at. Certainly possible. I think at this point they could go a number of ways.
I think if Robinson is there they would take him. If he is gone and JSN is there I think they would take him. If those 2 are gone and Zay Flowers and Jalin Hyatt are there, I think they would take one of them. If those 4 are gone it would be between oline, dline, corner, tight end, Drew Sanders and Quentin Johnston. So, it could be more than 15 different players.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I think they expect one to fall to 3rd again.
I would hate another wide receiver at 26

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if Robinson is there they would take him. If he is gone and JSN is there I think they would take him. If those 2 are gone and Zay Flowers and Jalin Hyatt are there, I think they would take one of them. If those 4 are gone it would be between oline, dline, corner, tight end, Drew Sanders and Quentin Johnston. So, it could be more than 15 different players.
God I hope Machota is wrong
If the Cowboys have 18 players with a 1st round grade, then there is a good chance one of then drops to #26.

If that happens they'll likely take that player regardless of position. QB might be the exception.

This draft seems like one where the player rankings will vary significantly from team to team. That increases the chance a player drops to #26.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If the Cowboys have 18 players with a 1st round grade, then there is a good chance one of then drops to #26.

If that happens they'll likely take that player regardless of position. QB might be the exception.

This draft seems like one where the player rankings will vary significantly from team to team. That increases the chance a player drops to #26.
Is it conceivable with the number of WR visits plus the way we've tried to disguise our 1st RD pick in recent years that we're extremely high on one receiver in particular receiver and we're trying to hide which one (with Bills, Saints and Chiefs all picking just after us).....
....and that if that particular pick is gone, we're more likely to take a receiver in later rounds and get another position in the first?

morasp

Reaction score
Hyatt would be a good pick. The best thing I heard was they aren't going to reach for need in round 1.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Hyatt would be a good pick. The best thing I heard was they aren't going to reach for need in round 1.
An ambiguous sentence, which is heavily depends upon their board. In their eyes we didn't reach for Tyler last year....whereas most experts/fans thought we did.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Just in general I think that the team is simply going to go BPA in the first round. Look for a guy who unexpectedly drops like Lamb did. As such, you have to predict who OTHER teams will draft in order to figure out who Dallas will take.

From a positional need, I certainly don't have WR up there but if you think a guy is going to be a stud then take him. Gallup and Cooks might be gone soon. I would much rather see the team take a stud they don't need immediately than a flop at a position they are short on.

morasp

Reaction score
An ambiguous sentence, which is heavily depends upon their board. In their eyes we didn't reach for Tyler last year....whereas most experts/fans thought we did.
Turns out they were right though. They have interest in a similar guy this year that NFL.com doesn't even have an evaluation on.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Turns out they were right though. They have interest in a similar guy this year that NFL.com doesn't even have an evaluation on.
To whom are you referring? But yep, I'll take that player regardless of position.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They've had some interest in an OG named Atonio Mafe. He's fairly new at the position but has tremendous power a little like Larry Allen and attitude a little like Tyler Smith. ****NOT-AN-OFFICIAL-SOURCE*** had a good video on him on youtube.
We can still get Mafi on day 3, or even 2 if we think he's available, he's not going to effect how we draft Rd1.

morasp

Reaction score
We can still get Mafi on day 3, or even 2 if we think he's available, he's not going to effect how we draft Rd1.
I don't have a clue where he will go. Some people say the 49ers have interest in him and that we might consider him or Avila at 58.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can understand Machota’s reasoning and why he feels this way.

Looking back on last season, think of where the team was in the final third of the season. Cooper was gone, Wilson signed elsewhere, Gallup was struggling in his recovery, and Tolbert couldn’t get onto the field.

They were scrambling to put two receivers on the field, much less three or four. And they were talking to any veterans that were available, flirting with OBJ before ultimately signing Hilton.

The fact that even under those circumstances Fehoko and Tolbert couldn’t get on the field speaks volumes of their lack of development. And now do you ‘hope’ that they improve enough, or do you invest more into the position?

The Cooks trade was a great move, but how long is he here?

And until Lamb signs a long term extension, nothing is guaranteed with him either.

I can see the rationale for the team looking at adding help at wide receiver.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't have a clue where he will go. Some people say the 49ers have interest in him and that we might consider him or Avila at 58.
Yep, that's the problem, in the second RD teams are more likely to pick for need (and take any position).
I liked what we did with Sam last year, Identified him as the player we wanted and in effect took him a 'round early' to ensure we got him, knowing that he wouldn't get to us in the 3rd.
We may have to do the same at WR, that's why we've invited so many later round WR (as if we're doing if you have to be certain).
I still think the WR in the 1st Rd is more about one specific WR we really like (and are trying to deflect which one), rather than us wanting ANY WR.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Looking back on last season, think of where the team was in the final third of the season. Cooper was gone, Wilson signed elsewhere, Gallup was struggling in his recovery, and Tolbert couldn’t get onto the field.

They were scrambling to put two receivers on the field, much less three or four. And they were talking to any veterans that were available, flirting with OBJ before ultimately signing Hilton.

The fact that even under those circumstances Fehoko and Tolbert couldn’t get on the field speaks volumes of their lack of development. And now do you ‘hope’ that they improve enough, or do you invest more into the position?

And until Lamb signs a long term extension, nothing is guaranteed with him either.

Spot on, and the whole do we take a WR at all costs is dependant upon how you feel Gallup will 'improve', especially now he's a WR3. I don't think we're in panic mode of 'must take a WR in the first'...however I'd guess there's one we're high on with a 1stRd grade and a couple of 2nd Rders.
I suppose we'll find out the morning of the draft when Jerry leaks who we like to the press....just think the work we do us rantamount to the D-Day landings.

reddyuta

Reaction score

this is true and the same can be said of CB.we had tremendous trouble replacing Brown.we made a trade Gilmore but we are sill thin at the position especially if the top 2 get injured.