Video: Jon Machota On Likeliest Possibilities At 26, Top Cowboys Positions Of Need | The Get Right

morasp

Reaction score
Yep, that's the problem, in the second RD teams are more likely to pick for need (and take any position).
I liked what we did with Sam last year, Identified him as the player we wanted and in effect took him a 'round early' to ensure we got him, knowing that he wouldn't get to us in the 3rd.
We may have to do the same at WR, that's why we've invited so many later round WR (as if we're doing if you have to be certain).
I still think the WR in the 1st Rd is more about one specific WR we really like (and are trying to deflect which one), rather than us wanting ANY WR.
WR has been hotly debated here. Which WR would you like to see with a star on his helmet?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
this is true and the same can be said of CB.we had tremendous trouble replacing Brown.we made a trade Gilmore but we are sill thin at the position especially if the top 2 get injured.
Yep, and with no CB1/2 signed through 2014 (unless we're resigned to paying Diggs the Franchise of $19m), we certainly won't be adverse to taking a CB in first couple of rounds.
I suppose the beauty of this draft that we can wait for the board to fall.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
WR has been hotly debated here. Which WR would you like to see with a star on his helmet?
I'm not an expert, however, Flowers flex is interesting and Johnson gives us a player similar to Gallup. I wouldn't want a slot only guy as CeeDee and Cooks are both lethal there and I don't think a burner out wide will suit Dak, who presumably have to go through progressions and wait for the play and the receiver to progress.
For me it's which Receiver's skillset best improves what we're trying to do and which version of the WCO we intend playing...even considering Kincaid (hands/separation), or Washington (physicality) or a RB that we can play a 21 personnel leaving us with two DeeBo like RBs

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I can understand Machota’s reasoning and why he feels this way.

Looking back on last season, think of where the team was in the final third of the season. Cooper was gone, Wilson signed elsewhere, Gallup was struggling in his recovery, and Tolbert couldn’t get onto the field.

They were scrambling to put two receivers on the field, much less three or four. And they were talking to any veterans that were available, flirting with OBJ before ultimately signing Hilton.

The fact that even under those circumstances Fehoko and Tolbert couldn’t get on the field speaks volumes of their lack of development. And now do you ‘hope’ that they improve enough, or do you invest more into the position?

The Cooks trade was a great move, but how long is he here?

And until Lamb signs a long term extension, nothing is guaranteed with him either.

I can see the rationale for the team looking at adding help at wide receiver.
You're making too much sense @Stash. Some here simply don't want a WR with our 1st round pick. Makes me wonder if they don't understand our position of need at WR, or maybe they don't want our Offense to perform better?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You're making too much sense @Stash. Some here simply don't want a WR with our 1st round pick. Makes me wonder if they don't understand our position of need at WR, or maybe they don't want our Offense to perform better?
I've been outspoken against the threads or posts that say we HAVE TO PICK A WR AT NO.1....though I'll conceded that we may pick the RIGHT WR at 1, depending what we want and what MM intends playing.
We may see the receiving value and our WCO offense to be more RB or TE centric....alternatively we may want a WR that gives initial burst/early seperation.

Flamma

Reaction score

Looking back on last season, think of where the team was in the final third of the season. Cooper was gone, Wilson signed elsewhere, Gallup was struggling in his recovery, and Tolbert couldn’t get onto the field.

They were scrambling to put two receivers on the field, much less three or four. And they were talking to any veterans that were available, flirting with OBJ before ultimately signing Hilton.

The fact that even under those circumstances Fehoko and Tolbert couldn’t get on the field speaks volumes of their lack of development. And now do you ‘hope’ that they improve enough, or do you invest more into the position?

And until Lamb signs a long term extension, nothing is guaranteed with him either.

I can see it too. But does it have to be round 1? They should be drafting to win this year in the first round. Not for when Cooks leaves.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see it too. But does it have to be round 1? They should be drafting to win this year in the first round. Not for when Cooks leaves.
I guess you have to ask yourself how much a 1st round receiver helps this year?

Flamma

Reaction score
I guess you have to ask yourself how much a 1st round receiver helps this year?
I'm not saying don't get a WR. What I'm asking myself is, are the WRs we can land at pick 26 so much more talented than the one's available in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Just my opinion but outside of Johnson, Smith-Njigba, and Addison, I don’t see a WR that would justify a 1st. I see nothing special about the next tier of WR’s other than short, twitchy receivers and height with limited route trees. If we can only survive with a first rounder, maybe there will be better quality next year. If the Cowboys do their due diligence and choose one this year, so be it. It will still be cute watching the little fellas get chased by the big boys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying don't get a WR. What I'm asking myself is, are the WRs we can land at pick 26 so much more talented than the one's available in the 2nd or 3rd round?
In my opinion, that’s a yes without question. Unlike past years, I think the wide receiver talent drops significantly after the initial 4-5 guys.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

It's also one of the highest paid positions, would be ideal to get a low cap starting receiver.

cnuball21

Reaction score
With all the players we’re meeting with Id be surprised if we don’t take a WR in the first three rounds.

Flowers / Addison are the top guys for me but plenty of good targets in each round if they want to add someone.

Flamma

Reaction score
In my opinion, that’s a yes without question. Unlike past years, I think the wide receiver talent drops significantly after the initial 4-5 guys.
That's usually the case with those at the very top. I was just thinking about what we'd be getting at 26.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
It's also one of the highest paid positions, would be ideal to get a low cap starting receiver.
This is a great point and I could see that being a definite tie breaker.

Here is an interesting tweet I saw this morning. If you want to read the related article for more details, you can Google:
Report: Numerous NFL Teams Only Have One Receiver With 1st Round Grade For The 2023 Draft

I’m not sure about the rules on adding links to articles. It it is allowed, I can add the actual link.