Jonathan Cooper

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I loved him coming out of UNC. Either that initial injury shook him or he was never going to be the guy he showed in college.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I loved him coming out of UNC. Either that initial injury shook him or he was never going to be the guy he showed in college.

seriously he looked so good in college,we are so lucky that all 3 of our 1st RD OL players turned out to be all pros because you never know .both Greg Robinson and Cooper have been huge busts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

haleyrules

Reaction score
He was not one of the 53 best players in Cleveland...

The Cowboys could always bring him to training camp for a look, but something must be terribly wrong with him at this point.
Yep. This boy was drafted, what, 7 overall and can't stick with the Browns. It would be interesting to give him a shot at camp. But it certainly smells bad.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/27/browns-waive-jonathan-cooper/

How about signing him to a futures contract after the season and trying him as a reclamation project like Colombo?

I was thinking the same thing as a possible reclamation project. He seems more of a finesse/ technique player more than a power one. Perhaps the Cowboys' scheme would be a better fit for him than those he's found himself in previously?

With Leary likely moving on, I'd take a look on a 'prove it' type deal.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we dont bring Leary back, we are gonna need more OGs for depth. A looksee couldnt hurt

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't make it for the Patriots, Cardinals, or Browns. Maybe a stint in Dallas is the key.

Not really. He can't play. Sucks that he never got past the broken leg, but he's been around enough--and with enough good coaches--that if he could play, he'd have stuck in one of his stops. Let's find another reclamation project.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was not one of the 53 best players in Cleveland...
In that case,

28465-Jerry-Seinfeld-leaves-gif-yxqm.gif

haleyrules

Reaction score
He didn't make it for the Patriots, Cardinals, or Browns. Maybe a stint in Dallas is the key.

Not really. He can't play. Sucks that he never got past the broken leg, but he's been around enough--and with enough good coaches--that if he could play, he'd have stuck in one of his stops. Let's find another reclamation project.
I don't know Idgit, l have been reading some decent stories about Cooper. He may have something left to offer. A little depth could help. I guess we shall see.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know Idgit, l have been reading some decent stories about Cooper. He may have something left to offer. A little depth could help. I guess we shall see.

We'll see. I don't have an axe to grind for the guy. We're talking about a backup role here anyway. It's just strange to see him go through so many teams so quickly if he can actually play.

cjlopez

Reaction score
Sometimes players and the scheme don't match. U never know, he can be shielded by our other OL. I don't think it's s major move. I think it's a good let's see what we can see.

Verdict

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing as a possible reclamation project. He seems more of a finesse/ technique player more than a power one. Perhaps the Cowboys' scheme would be a better fit for him than those he's found himself in previously?

With Leary likely moving on, I'd take a look on a 'prove it' type deal.

I realize he has been traded once and cut twice this year, but the Cowboys saw enough to bring him on board for the playoffs. Maybe he is finally getting closer to 100 percent after his injury.