Jones - 29 Seasons | Landry/Schramm 29 Seasons

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Each has had the team 29 seasons now.

Landry led his team to 20 consecutive winning seasons, 36 playoff game appearances, 20 playoff wins, 5 NFC Championships, 2 Super Bowl wins.

Jones has led the Cowboys to 15 playoff wins, 3 NFC Championships and 3 Super Bowl wins.

Keep in mind, playoff formats changed dramatically from decades ago.

It is unbelievable that Jones purchased the team almost 30 years ago, on February 29, 1989.

I feel hopeless about my team, something I never experienced growing up, and something I’ve never experienced as a Spurs fan either. Jones is like an energy vampire, just sucks the life out of everything, and Stephen is no better.

What do you all think?

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Landry led his team to 20 consecutive winning seasons, 36 playoff game appearances, 20 playoff wins, 5 NFC Championships, 2 Super Bowl wins.

Jones has led the Cowboys to 15 playoff wins, 3 NFC Championships and 3 Super Bowl wins.

It is unbelievable that Jones purchased the team almost 30 years ago, on February 29, 1989.

I feel hopeless about my team, something I never experienced growing up, and something I’ve never experienced as a Spurs fan either. Jones is like an energy vampire, just sucks the life out of everything, and Stephen is no better.

What do you all think?
Jones.....no Jimmy has led the Cowboys to 6 playoff wins, 3 NFC Championships and 3 Super Bowl wins.
then for next 20 or so years jones has 7 playoff wins? 1 NFC Championship and 1 SB win

Diehardblues

Reaction score

What do you all think?
You really could have made a stronger case for earlier era which had 12 conference championship appearances compared to 4.
5 Super Bowl appearances to 3 and 2 NFL title games.

And has had 9 HOFamers so far compared to 5. Fixing to be 10 with Gil Brandt. This doesn’t count others who went in under different teams.

The only thing this era can hang their hat on is 1 additional SB win. But the droughts going on now 24 years in a SB is unforgiving . Initially took 11 seasons then had a 14 season drought to a Super Bowl.

Amazingly the Cowboys has their 63rd playoff game this year which set another NFL mark. Most in NFL history. Amazing considering the droughts this era has been thru. Which is a testament to earlier era.

And if you take away the early success in Jerry era it’s been quite embarrassing. Even Landry who had missed the playoffs his final 3 seasons was only 10 years removed from his last Super Bowl and only 5 years from conference championship.

The 21 (1965-1985)consecutive winning seasons which most thought would never be broken is on the threshold of being broken( 2000-2018) with19 this year by the greatest dynasty in NFL history.

And for the record it was actually Feb 25 1989.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
You really could have made a stronger case for earlier era which had 12 conference championship appearances compared to 4.
5 Super Bowl appearances to 3 and 2 NFL title games.

And has had 9 HOFamers so far compared to 5. Fixing to be 10 with Gil Brandt. This doesn’t count others who went in under different teams.

The only thing this era can hang their hat on is 1 additional SB win. But the droughts going on now 24 years in a SB is unforgiving . Initially took 11 seasons then had a 14 season drought to a Super Bowl.

Amazingly the Cowboys has their 63rd playoff game this year which set another NFL mark. Most in NFL history. Amazing considering the droughts this era has been thru. Which is a testament to earlier era.

And if you take away the early success in Jerry era it’s been quite embarrassing. Even Landry who had missed the playoffs his final 3 seasons was only 10 years removed from his last Super Bowl and only 5 years from conference championship.

The 21 (1965-1985)consecutive winning seasons which most thought would never be broken is on the threshold of being broken( 2000-2018) with19 this year by the greatest dynasty in NFL history.

And for the record it was actually Feb 25 1989.

I wasn’t trying to make a case either way.

I’m just amazed how quickly 29 years goes by. Jones is a knucklehead, wants so badly to get credit for being a great football mind. He’s not.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Until Jerry hires a legitimate head coach, this team will never win more than an occasional wildcard game every couple of years.

Jerry wont do it because he has to prove to everybody that he can win without Jimmy. Doesn't matter if it takes 20 yrs, 30 yrs, or 40 yrs, he is determined to prove that he should get the credit for winning those SBs instead of Jimmy.

Yes, Jerry is that self-conscious that he will spend the rest of his life trying to prove this...…………..just sad.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the Packers upset the Niners in the 95 playoffs that opened the door for JJ to get his no 3 Superbowl which he sold his soul to the devil for....since then we are below average team who once in a blue moon might make the playoffs and go one and done or reach the div round and be booted out....JJ without Jimmy has very little to zilch to show for the past 23 years....Worst GM in the NFL for almost a quarter of a Century....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My observation is the first 5 years of the Jones era were the ones where all the accomplishments took place. And they happened because this organization was being run by a competent football man along with Jerry.

A “Jerry-centric” culture since the mid-90s has clearly been a disappointing failure as far as the on-field product. It has certainly been a great success for the monetary fortunes of the Jones cartel but not for the fans who have put cash in the Jones’ pockets.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Jones and Garrett can build another dynasty. They just need to find another Mike Lynn.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

What do you all think?

As I discussed yesterday there is not chance we can compete with these type of teams in a playoff format. Maybe you get lucky and win a game. No chance you go on a 3 game run on the road and beat the Rams, Saints, then Patriots. Never going to happen. We get out coached by all 3 of those great coaches and QB situations. We would have to have such a more dominant roster to do it. With a full week or two for these to prepare for the Cowboys and the simplicity and dullness of what they do it is curtains. As we saw with the Rams.

Noclaf

Reaction score
As a GM Jerry is the worst as an owner he his fantastic. Some how he has kept the boys relevant while being horrible

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until Jerry hires a legitimate head coach, this team will never win more than an occasional wildcard game every couple of years.

Jerry wont do it because he has to prove to everybody that he can win without Jimmy. Doesn't matter if it takes 20 yrs, 30 yrs, or 40 yrs, he is determined to prove that he should get the credit for winning those SBs instead of Jimmy.

Yes, Jerry is that self-conscious that he will spend the rest of his life trying to prove this...…………..just sad.
I think the franchise is a decade or two past the suggestion that one magic bullet, like a great head coaching hire, will return the team to league elite status. I think of four areas of improvement:
  1. Better quality of consistent free agent acquisitions. Having home grown talent is wonderful and something management can hang its hat on in the oast few years but the right sprinkle of veteran players will strenghen the roster.
  2. A strong head coaching hire (or the "I already said that DE!" suggestion :p ), who should enjoy, be knowledgeable and be entrusted with assembling his staff--with emphass on coordinators.
  3. The relinquishing of general manager responsibilities, which should be easier done than said by a combination owner and president of a franchise,
  4. More inclusion and knowledgeable upper management additions that will both keep the family in firm control and supplemented by more accountable management resources.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Jones.....no Jimmy has led the Cowboys to 6 playoff wins, 3 NFC Championships and 3 Super Bowl wins.
then for next 20 or so years jones has 7 playoff wins? 1 NFC Championship and 1 SB win

That is only if you give credit for a Super Bowl team that was built by Johnson and won by Switzer, when almost every single one of us on this site could have led that team to a Super Bowl.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

What do you all think?
Give me the legend for overall performance but I’m never giving back JJ’s three in four years.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I get it was Jimmys team but Switzer was calling the shots and deserves the credit not Jimmy.

irishline

Reaction score
As a GM Jerry is the worst as an owner he his fantastic. Some how he has kept the boys relevant while being horrible

If he was a fantastic owner as you say he would have fired the GM. He can't divorce himself from his ego, which will not allow the owner persona to get rid of a horrible GM persona.

He is a fantastic business man which is how he keeps them relevant (not an owner). IMHO of course.

75boyz

Reaction score

What do you all think?

Good post. I made a Landry/Cowboy Way standard reply to BobHaze's 'best of last 23 years' post and it is just so hard to explain to a younger fan that we were doing the same thing the Patriots were doing a long time ago and for so many years consecutively as well.

Now to mention us in the same sentence with the Patriots is laughable.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think...we really don't need another bash Jerry and the team thread.

Guess it will be another Negative Off-Season Theme.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s actually a terrible owner too if being a good owner means winning championships. If it means making money for himself and other NFL owners, then ok.

Then Lamar Hunt must really really suck then. I mean 49 years and has not got back to the SB. Wonder how much money he has made these past 49 years.
Jets, Bengals, Lions...there are more. I guess they suck more than Jerry.

If one uses that analogy, then it opens it up to all the owners. And aren't they supposed to make money?
I mean is not that was why Bum Bright sold them to Jerry. The Dallas Cowboys were losing something like $1 million a day or some outrageous number.

So everyone should be thankful Jerry bought them. As if someone else bought them. And still did not win. What if someone else bought them, then moved the team.