Jones - 29 Seasons | Landry/Schramm 29 Seasons

75boyz

Reaction score
My observation is the first 5 years of the Jones era were the ones where all the accomplishments took place. And they happened because this organization was being run by a competent football man along with Jerry.

A “Jerry-centric” culture since the mid-90s has clearly been a disappointing failure as far as the on-field product. It has certainly been a great success for the monetary fortunes of the Jones cartel but not for the fans who have put cash in the Jones’ pockets.

Its still almost as big a mystery to me as the Bermuda Triangle.

How one man's marketing genius of a substandard brand product can defy the basic principles of supply and demand capitalism.

He's been selling an inferior product for going on 23 years now and yet his bottom line profit share skyrockets every single year.
In this regard as a marketer, he has no peer.
As a Football Man he is utterly clueless.
That's my reality of it all anyway.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
I think...we really don't need another bash Jerry and the team thread.

Guess it will be another Negative Off-Season Theme.

I wasn’t bashing Jerry or praising Landry. I was just pointing out that they both have led the Cowboys for 29 years, which seems amazing to me.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Each has had the team 29 seasons now.

Landry led his team to 20 consecutive winning seasons, 36 playoff game appearances, 20 playoff wins, 5 NFC Championships, 2 Super Bowl wins.

Jones has led the Cowboys to 15 playoff wins, 3 NFC Championships and 3 Super Bowl wins.

Keep in mind, playoff formats changed dramatically from decades ago.

It is unbelievable that Jones purchased the team almost 30 years ago, on February 29, 1989.

I feel hopeless about my team, something I never experienced growing up, and something I’ve never experienced as a Spurs fan either. Jones is like an energy vampire, just sucks the life out of everything, and Stephen is no better.

What do you all think?

My mind instantly goes to the advantage that Schramm had because before anyone else did, he embraced the use of computers and technology, primitive as it may have been at that point, to advance his scouting operation, and so our drafts were stellar in comparison to most as a result.

Landry, too, was an innovator for his day on the field.

And of course, for most of that era, you only acquired players through the draft or through trades... no free agency per se.

So, it's more about the Cowboys being on the frontier in terms of scouting and player acquisition than anything else.

Those are just unique conditions of that time.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My mind instantly goes to the advantage that Schramm had because before anyone else did, he embraced the use of computers and technology, primitive as it may have been at that point, to advance his scouting operation, and so our drafts were stellar in comparison to most as a result.

Landry, too, was an innovator for his day on the field.

And of course, for most of that era, you only acquired players through the draft or through trades... no free agency per se.

So, it's more about the Cowboys being on the frontier in terms of scouting and player acquisition than anything else.

Those are just unique conditions of that time.

Also once you signed or drafted a player. You kept that players rights. No FA to lose your better players.
The team waited 10 years after Staubach retired before they released his rights as a player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jerry the owner has son three Super Bowls with two head coaches.

Jerry the GM...well that is debateable. I guess he did win one without Jimmy, though he had most of Jimmy’s players, it was factually without him.

superonyx

Reaction score
I think Jerry is the second worst GM in the NFL and we will never get past the divisional round until dramatic changes are made.
Who’s the first?

The bengals , Jets, Bucs, Dolphins, Browns, Cards, Raiders, Lions have not done jack.

Is Jerry worse than these guys also?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then Lamar Hunt must really really suck then. I mean 49 years and has not got back to the SB. Wonder how much money he has made these past 49 years.
Jets, Bengals, Lions...there are more. I guess they suck more than Jerry.

If one uses that analogy, then it opens it up to all the owners. And aren't they supposed to make money?
I mean is not that was why Bum Bright sold them to Jerry. The Dallas Cowboys were losing something like $1 million a day or some outrageous number.

So everyone should be thankful Jerry bought them. As if someone else bought them. And still did not win. What if someone else bought them, then moved the team.
With all due respect Lamar Hunt has been dead since 2006. I’m not sure I’d hold him responsible for the results since?

But to answer your question ..Jerry by remaining GM with his agendas of wanting to prove he can build a championship team without a HC like Jimmy is not doing everything within his power to win.

It is true as you have argued that even if Jerry did step aside it doesn’t guarantee we’d win another championship. I’ve often argued if the NFL mandated all owners become a GM and follow Jerry’s model I think we’d fare much better.

What burns most fans is Jerry initially allowed a great HC to come in and they had great success but winnning back to back championships wasn’t enough for Jerry’s ego if he didn’t receive the credit he was apparently pursuing.

Obviously Jerry wants to win more than anyone but only if it’s his way. This is what separates him from the rest.

mardwin

Reaction score
Apples and oranges. Landry and Schramm were trying to build a franchise from the ground up. Jerry has been trying to get validated as GM since his only 3 super bowl wins were enginereed by Jimmie Johnson.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Good post. I made a Landry/Cowboy Way standard reply to BobHaze's 'best of last 23 years' post and it is just so hard to explain to a younger fan that we were doing the same thing the Patriots were doing a long time ago and for so many years consecutively as well.

Now to mention us in the same sentence with the Patriots is laughable.
Laughable is being very giving... 10 trips 8 with Brady and Belicheat... Jones is a walking joke compared to the Kraft dynasty...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all due respect Lamar Hunt has been dead since 2006. I’m not sure I’d hold him responsible for the results since?

But to answer your question ..Jerry by remaining GM with his agendas of wanting to prove he can build a championship team without a HC like Jimmy is not doing everything within his power to win.

It is true as you have argued that even if Jerry did step aside it doesn’t guarantee we’d win another championship. I’ve often argued if the NFL mandated all owners become a GM and follow Jerry’s model I think we’d fare much better.

What burns most fans is Jerry initially allowed a great HC to come in and they had great success but winnning back to back championships wasn’t enough for Jerry’s ego if he didn’t receive the credit he was apparently pursuing.

Obviously Jerry wants to win more than anyone but only if it’s his way. This is what separates him from the rest.

It was not all on Jerry as to why Jimmy was let go. Actually Jimmy pushed the buttons to be let go.
But yet fans still want to blame it all on Jerry. It is the way o the world, hate the top dog regardless of the circumstances.

Both were equally at fault.

Thanks for pointing out about Lamar Hunt, I forgot about that, but it still applies to his family, same as people want to apply it to Jerry's, and Stephen's involvement.
Actually since Stephen has taken more of a lead role and they allow McClay to do his thing. It has improved. Though sometimes listening to Stephen seems like listening to Jerry. But none the less they have done better.

I am looking at it from the past 3 years and what they have done. Not the past 23 years. As what good does that do to go on and on about it. It's in the past.
Fans want to use the narrative that some fans live in the past about Tom and Jimmy success and SB's. And they say fans should not do that.
But yet they want to live in the past 23 years to complain.

Time to put it al behind and look forward.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who’s the first?

The bengals , Jets, Bucs, Dolphins, Browns, Cards, Raiders, Lions have not done jack.

Is Jerry worse than these guys also?
The raiders, cardinals and bucs have all been to Super Bowls since we have. They have all won conference championships more recently than we have. The bucs have actually won a super bowl this century. So yeah, Jerry is worse than 3 of those on your list.

75boyz

Reaction score

I'm gonna try to not sound like a "were entitled as Cowboys fans" to be a winner every year.

But As an older guy this is the type of foundation that the original coach instilled in this team. A brand of excellence and consistency that may have been taken for granted because it was just expected and accepted for so long.

Once Tom and his players got a little too old and things didn't evolve with the times as much there was a transitioning to Jimmy. A short transition turnaround of a few years but a full restoration of what had been originally established in culture from the original architects.

I guess nowadays it's too much to expect that the Dallas Cowboys have expectations to reach the playoffs much less the Super Bowl.

Gosh forbid we aren't a consistent playoff participant for the last 8 to 10 years in the likes of say a Seahawks, Green Bay? Or dare I say on the level of expectation of a Steelers or Patriots organization?

I guess I'm guilty of Entitlement Syndrome from the bygone Landry Era.

Accepting these two decades plus as the New Cowboy standard just doesn't sit right with me.

It's probably just me though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm gonna try to not sound like a "were entitled as Cowboys fans" to be a winner every year.

But As an older guy this is the type of foundation that the original coach instilled in this team. A brand of excellence and consistency that may have been taken for granted because it was just expected and accepted for so long.

Once Tom and his players got a little too old and things didn't evolve with the times as much there was a transitioning to Jimmy. A short transition turnaround of a few years but a full restoration of what had been originally established in culture from the original architects.

I guess nowadays it's too much to expect that the Dallas Cowboys have expectations to reach the playoffs much less the Super Bowl.

Gosh forbid we aren't a consistent playoff participant for the last 8 to 10 years in the likes of say a Seahawks, Green Bay? Or dare I say on the level of expectation of a Steelers or Patriots organization?

I guess I'm guilty of Entitlement Syndrome from the bygone Landry Era.

Accepting these two decades plus as the New Cowboy standard just doesn't sit right with me.

It's probably just me though.
As I stated there’s no guarantees to success. All 32 teams have the same goal but not all place themselves in the same position to win.

I became a fan before we’d even seen a winning season. They’re my local team as they played about 15 minutes from my house so I’d be a fan if we were like the Browns.

But there is a an expectation that comes with the success we’ve had . That’s human nature. Once you’ve had that success I think it’s only natural that it becomes the Bar.

And becoming America’s Team with the global support of fans we have accumulated also represents such an expectation and following because of the success we’ve had.

Most of these afar fans hopped on because of the Super Bowls. I don’t recall our popularity as such until we started appearing in championship games and Super Bowls. Back then we were just Texas team. That in effect is a large core of the issue. The kind of fans who now over several generations follow the Cowboys. Remember most of them adandoned their local or regional team .

We aren’t just the local team fans get behind because they represent your community and area much like most teams in the NFL. With that notoriety and success it also creates much disparity and dissent. Pretty much everything Landry warned of when he fought Tex on adopting the name “ America’s Team”.

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Each has had the team 29 seasons now.

Landry led his team to 20 consecutive winning seasons, 36 playoff game appearances, 20 playoff wins, 5 NFC Championships, 2 Super Bowl wins.

Jones has led the Cowboys to 15 playoff wins, 3 NFC Championships and 3 Super Bowl wins.

Keep in mind, playoff formats changed dramatically from decades ago.

It is unbelievable that Jones purchased the team almost 30 years ago, on February 29, 1989.

I feel hopeless about my team, something I never experienced growing up, and something I’ve never experienced as a Spurs fan either. Jones is like an energy vampire, just sucks the life out of everything, and Stephen is no better.

What do you all think?
I had to give it up when I got to "Jones has led".......Jones hasn't led anything.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I think we’re the younest or one of the youngest teams and a better offensive philosophy, specific gameplans, and variety of formations will make us a contender again next year.

We lost by 8 to the team in the super bowl.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I became a fan in 1971, that's the year we went to Miami to play the true colts and Johnny U. We lost 16 to 13. I was 11 at the time. I watched cowboy games up until I joined the MC and went abroad at the age of 17. I followed them when I could, but times were way different back then. Followed them after Jones bought them and brought in Jimmy, and then through the 90's. After the Jimmy left, I watched until the triplets retired from the game and pretty much became a partial fan, as Jerry made a disaster out of this once great franchise. I only started watching them in earnest again when the tuna took over. And I have to say, it's been about as great as those same years when I simply just stopped even watching them play. JJ makes the team and the league $$$$$, for everything else, meaning is he serious about winning anything again, hell who really knows. I'm pretty sure we all understand, he will never have another Jimmy J, or Bill P running this team again and taking credit from him. I guess I am still a fan, as I have a lot of memorabilia on my desk at work and at home. All I can say at this point is, I have no idea where this team is going, but pretty sure under the conservative mr nice guy, motivational speaker Garrett, it won't be any where near a SB. I've pretty much given up on that, at least until real change occurs within the team structure at the top......my 2 cents.