Jones' Clear but Sneaky Objective

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is it not obvious that Jerry & co are basically setting McCarthy up to fail this year?

We might be treading on to conspiracy theory levels here, but I am really starting to believe that Jerry signed no one at all outside of “cornerstones” almost SO the team would fail.

With a complete failure, it would leave out any possible argument/decision to retain McCarthy past this season.

If this is the case, I’m honestly not against it. Would I have preferred just canning the guy after the GB loss? Of course, but our ownership is cheap.

John813

Reaction score
I don't think there would of been that much argument to let Mike walk at the end of his contract even if he made the playoffs and was one and done.

I think there's an arrogance that the team they built is good enough for Mike to figure out to make a winner.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If that were the plan, why let him stay??? You have Al Harris as your asst, maybe we're waiting until half the season is over to see how well he does, if he does bad, see if Harris can give the team a spark!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s a give up year. It’s the plain as day.

At least it better be because if the FO really believes the roster they put together is championship level competitive they are even more incompetent than I thought. Which is bad because I think they’re extremely incompetent.

I was fine with a give up year until they decided to extend the QB. Makes zero sense to have a give up year with a 31 year old QB you have locked up long term.

So now we have a wasted season in which the cowboys absolutely will not compete for a Super Bowl. So they can hire a new coach next year. All because Jerry the billionaire ****** who landed his personal helicopter on the practice field yesterday didn’t want to pay out Mikes last year of his contract.

It’s disgusting.
They believe every roster they put on the field is a great one and is Superbowl caliber!! We signed #4 because we didn't want to wait years and years and years to find the next face of our franchise! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is it not obvious that Jerry & co are basically setting McCarthy up to fail this year?

We might be treading on to conspiracy theory levels here, but I am really starting to believe that Jerry signed no one at all outside of “cornerstones” almost SO the team would fail.

With a complete failure, it would leave out any possible argument/decision to retain McCarthy past this season.

If this is the case, I’m honestly not against it. Would I have preferred just canning the guy after the GB loss? Of course, but our ownership is cheap.
Mean while for Garrett he went and resigned Zeke to the stupidest contract this side of Jaylon Smith and Tyronne Crawford.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I don’t get why they just didn’t fire him if that’s the case.

This may be Zack Martin and D Laws last year and you waste it? For what?

gtb1943

Reaction score
At one time Cowboy Nation thought it was the humiliation of three straight 5-11 seasons that made Jethro bend the knee and hire BP

But as soon as the new stadium was up he let it be known the ONLY reason he took that step was to make money.

and now he is making so much money that it does not really matter what the boys do as long as that keeps happening

THE ONLY WAY THERE WILL BE A CHANGE IS IF THE MONEY BEGINS TO DWINDLE

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't care what the fans and media say about him. If he wanted to fire McCarthy he wouldn't need to "prove a point" or anything with trying to set up Mike to fail. He would've just fired him.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It's Jerry's prerogative to blame McCarthy for the past 5 years, but the quarter century before McCarthy was arguably worse.

Creeper

Reaction score

In the absence of facts, there is conjecture. And I agree without your suggestion. I don't know what Jerry is thinking, but I have to believe this offseason inactivity was planned, with purpose. I can't come up with another explanation, and I am not buying the CAP situation argument. So I have settled on the Nike McCarthy theory as well.

I know there are holes in this theory, like why bother since he can let MM go under any circumstances. But what if Jerry signed a few players and the Cowboys make it to the SB? How does Jerry not re-sign his coach? Jerry is not taking any chances. He undermined MM from the start so there is no media blowback when he let's McCarthy go and hire Belichick.

Just a note on the CAP. It is true for most of the offseason the Cowboys had no CAP room. But they was easily rectified by extending CeeDee and converting his salary to bonus this year. The same was true with Dak. Why did Jerry drag out these negotiations? He wanted the CAP problem to linger until the off-season was over the the regular season began. Look where they are CAP wise now. This could have been done in March.

But Jerry left us with a pathetic RB room. The worst DL in the league, and frankly, a not so great WR group.

I just cannot belive that Jerry and his coaches all think the team improved over last season with all the subtractions and no additions. There has to be a plan, and I think the plan is to ditch McCarthy and his coaches.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That would be stupid, even for Jerry's standards.

If he wanted Mike gone, he could have just fired him. He gains nothing from wasting a season.

kskboys

Reaction score

Nope. It's worse than that. He's "showing Dak". And to add, saving money for the impending monster contract of Parsons.

McC was gone no matter what.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys' management is in no rush to do anything that might mean that they'll be obligated to spend more money than they deem fair. With that in mind, it's entirely likely that Mike McCarthy will become yet another HC allowed to go his separate way with a mildly fond farewell.

It's hard to say who might be chosen to follow in his footsteps but it's not as though it's unlikely to be anyone especially impressive in stature. This Cowboys' front office will likely be content to welcome the next head coach to assume a reputation for being Jerry's newest upcoming lap dog.

visionary

Reaction score

Yes it makes total sense to waste a whole year just to “set up” a HC to be fired that you could have easily fired after the playoff embarrassment last year against GB

Total sense
About as much as signing to make the QB responsible for that loss to 60 million per year
About as much sense as hiring a DC whose defense was 29th out of 32 his last 2 years

kskboys

Reaction score
Mean while for Garrett he went and resigned Zeke to the stupidest contract this side of Jaylon Smith and Tyronne Crawford.
1.5 mil/season is stupid? Jerry has signed far worse contracts than that. Brandon Carr, Pacman, Nate Livings, Poe, McCoy, Haha, Steele, Bernadeau, Roy Williams.

Hades, I'm not sure the Zeke signing even makes the top 20 of stupid Jerry signings. And Randy Gregory would be up around the top if he'd have agreed to the stupid contract we offered.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I think they jsut think they’ve been unlucky. And they jsut want to be .500 and hope they can randomly make a run.

We waited out Brees eli Andy Reid and Aaron Rodgers. Now we just need Jordan love and Brock purdy to age out