Jones' Clear but Sneaky Objective

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is it just me, or is it not obvious that Jerry & co are basically setting McCarthy up to fail this year?

We might be treading on to conspiracy theory levels here, but I am really starting to believe that Jerry signed no one at all outside of “cornerstones” almost SO the team would fail.

With a complete failure, it would leave out any possible argument/decision to retain McCarthy past this season.

If this is the case, I’m honestly not against it. Would I have preferred just canning the guy after the GB loss? Of course, but our ownership is cheap.
Jerry’s not a scumbag fan like many here. Not talking about you as I don’t know you. He thinks he’s doing his best to put the team in position for a deep playoff run. He’s just not very good at it.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
If that were the plan, why let him stay??? You have Al Harris as your asst, maybe we're waiting until half the season is over to see how well he does, if he does bad, see if Harris can give the team a spark!
Because he is not paying for a coach who isn't working. I don't think this theory unreasonable...I would probably add that he prefers to move on for Belichick (those two have a good rapport), but is willing to reconsider if MM could coach this limited team to a NFCCG/SB appearance.

I Wouldn't be surprised if JJ and Belichick discussed what the core players are on the team that he would build around if he were coach and that is who JJ is willing to sign.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because he is not paying for a coach who isn't working. I don't think this theory unreasonable...I would probably add that he prefers to move on for Belichick (those two have a good rapport), but is willing to reconsider if MM could coach this limited team to a NFCCG/SB appearance.

I Wouldn't be surprised if JJ and Belichick discussed what the core players are on the team that he would build around if he were coach and that is who JJ is willing to sign.
What makes you feel that they have a good connection?? You know Jerry didn't do well with a speak your mind kind of coach in Parcells

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry has nothing to lose nor gain by allowing McCarthy to go his merry way and count upon his suckers that he calls his team's faithful fans. This FO is one that's free of depending upon winning to determine whether or not their huge profits continue to come rolling in, or not. Fans of the Cowboys are content to show up at AT&T Stadium as a sign of being those select few to be seen in attendance of such lush surroundings. Nothing is really necessary, in terms of a gloriously winning team from one year to the next. Super Bowls are merely a thing of the distant past.
Just being seen in attendance is impressive enough to suffice. It's all about image without substance! ;)

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it just me, or is it not obvious that Jerry & co are basically setting McCarthy up to fail this year?

We might be treading on to conspiracy theory levels here, but I am really starting to believe that Jerry signed no one at all outside of “cornerstones” almost SO the team would fail.

With a complete failure, it would leave out any possible argument/decision to retain McCarthy past this season.

If this is the case, I’m honestly not against it. Would I have preferred just canning the guy after the GB loss? Of course, but our ownership is cheap.
They didnt have to go through the trouble. As the owner worth 12 Billion dollars, Jerry would have had no issues with firing MM.

Something closer to the truth would be they were setting Dak up to fail by sticking a rookie OT on his blindside, a rookie at center, and no run game to ease the transition to Trey Lance. But Lance's abysmal preseason showing blew up that plan and thats why we saw the sudden urgency to sign Dak to an extension right before the season started.

Mr_437

Reaction score

The way things are going this is a logical perspective.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
If that were the plan, why let him stay??? You have Al Harris as your asst, maybe we're waiting until half the season is over to see how well he does, if he does bad, see if Harris can give the team a spark!
I was listening to Jeff Cavanaughs podcast w Jesse Holley and Voch and they were saying how averse the Joneses have become to “wasting” money, I.e they did not want to pay McCarthy an extra year without working (which they would’ve had to do if they fired him). Idk, just food for thought.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yea ...... Jerry Jones is a mastermind trying to ruin his newest puppet.

No ....... Jerry is just being Jerry and has no clue what he should do.

fivetwos

Reaction score
In the absence of facts, there is conjecture. And I agree without your suggestion. I don't know what Jerry is thinking, but I have to believe this offseason inactivity was planned, with purpose. I can't come up with another explanation, and I am not buying the CAP situation argument. So I have settled on the Nike McCarthy theory as well.

I know there are holes in this theory, like why bother since he can let MM go under any circumstances. But what if Jerry signed a few players and the Cowboys make it to the SB? How does Jerry not re-sign his coach? Jerry is not taking any chances. He undermined MM from the start so there is no media blowback when he let's McCarthy go and hire Belichick.

Just a note on the CAP. It is true for most of the offseason the Cowboys had no CAP room. But they was easily rectified by extending CeeDee and converting his salary to bonus this year. The same was true with Dak. Why did Jerry drag out these negotiations? He wanted the CAP problem to linger until the off-season was over the the regular season began. Look where they are CAP wise now. This could have been done in March.

But Jerry left us with a pathetic RB room. The worst DL in the league, and frankly, a not so great WR group.

I just cannot belive that Jerry and his coaches all think the team improved over last season with all the subtractions and no additions. There has to be a plan, and I think the plan is to ditch McCarthy and his coaches.
Agree. That, in addition to the “dead coaching money problem” that’s plaguing the league comment is proof enough for me that he isn’t happy with the coach but also wasn’t about to eat the last year of the contract.

They would rather throw away an entire season when the NFC is wide open than eat 5 million owed to Mike.

Again….they aren’t any good at this…and it’s the very reason nothing adds up as far as what the plan might be.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Keep an eye out on the injuries if you want an edge on if this is a throw away year or not.

The guys are playing hard, as they should, and they are young...so its harder to tell if there is sand bagging going on.

But...keep an eye out on key players going down with multiple week injuries. Diggs, Parsons and Lawrence all went down last week with what could have been 3 key players having multiple weeks out of the lineup.

Lets see if there is a pattern in the coming weeks. If so, to me, it means that players and their agents suspect the FO isnt trying and the players will use injury excuses to to miss games as to lower their risk of getting a serious injury in a throw away year.

And...dont waste your time trying to tell me the above doesnt happen. Look no further than Zeke Elliott fumbling the ball 4 times in one game when he was known for never fumbling the ball.....and when did those 4 fumbles happen?...right after it was determined to be a throw away year. Again...dont waste your time...i dont believe in coincidences.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What makes you feel that they have a good connection?? You know Jerry didn't do well with a speak your mind kind of coach in Parcells
They had a great working relationship. Bill said that himself.
Isn't it great fans give their thoughts about Jerry, and are usually wrong.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
They both have talked previously about their relationship and speak highly of each other.

spice

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry’s not a scumbag fan like many here. Not talking about you as I don’t know you. He thinks he’s doing his best to put the team in position for a deep playoff run. He’s just not very good at it.
Like you gave props to the other poster so trying to establish the same here but do you honestly believe the FO (Jerry) put this roster together for a playoff run

gtb1943

Reaction score
Like you gave props to the other poster so trying to establish the same here but do you honestly believe the FO (Jerry) put this roster together for a playoff run
anyone claiming that Jethro really cares about making a deep playoff run is nuts
as long as the boys are relevant and he is raking in the money nothing else matters

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if we knew everything that you knew, there wouldn't be a blog forum
There is a difference between knowing and assuming and thoughts of what one believes to be true or not, but posts as if they know.
And no, I do not know everything. But I can use some deductible reasoning to know the difference.
:thumbup:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You folks who have been promoting the rebuild conspiracy theories all offseason give the Jones Boys way too much credit. No, they genuinely think they’re great GMs and have built another Super Bowl contender. No genius behind the contract holdouts, just business as usual and waiting until the last possible second to re-sign their home grown Jersey Sellers.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is a difference between knowing and assuming and thoughts of what one believes to be true or not, but posts as if they know.
And no, I do not know everything. But I can use some deductible reasoning to know the difference.
:thumbup:
Wow, I actually understood that for once!!! Bravo :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :eek:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They had a great working relationship. Bill said that himself.
Isn't it great fans give their thoughts about Jerry, and are usually wrong.
Never ceases to amaze me. And the guy you responded to, just follows the coat tails of other haters and mimic their behavior and responses.