Jordan Davis

John813

Reaction score
Yea, he's just a two down player in college. Now, Davis is still very raw as a player, not playing football till the 10th grade, and barely till his senior year when he went DT full time. Same with Georgia. Wasn't till last year he was a fixture on the line
Add in he's only in 38% of snaps for the Bulldogs.
So, ceiling could be high, but you're going off potential instead of production. IMO a 3-4 team will take him and hope he could bloom into a Ngata or Vea in time and continued growth.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I think he is at least as talented and useful as Vea. He will go round one IMO and with a good combine top 20.
I agree at this point he would be an asset for the boys.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fringe first rounder / 2nd rounder if I had to guess…beast against the run but teams draft for pass rush talent early at the DT position.

Weak DT class so he’ll go earlier than he should.

I liked McNeil more last year and I think he went in the 3rd.

We have seen this front office, no matter who is coaching the defense not making it a priority to draft an early two down NT. Our run defense was awful last season, yet we waited to the 6th rd to draft a NT. Personally, I would love to draft such a player, but it's not realistic under this regime.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We have seen this front office, no matter who is coaching the defense not making it a priority to draft an early two down NT. Our run defense was awful last season, yet we waited to the 6th rd to draft a NT. Personally, I would love to draft such a player, but it's not realistic under this regime.

I don’t think you draft 2 down only DTs early and am glad we haven’t, but the frustrating part is we’ve passed on quality DT prospects over the last few years that are good at pass rush / run D.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t think you draft 2 down only DTs early and am glad we haven’t, but the frustrating part is we’ve passed on quality DT prospects over the last few years that are good at pass rush / run D.
It's very frustrating as they don't prioritize the position. Years ago I remember you could of possibly drafted Cox at DT and Wagner at LB if they didn't trade up for Claiborne who they never even brought in for a visit and was a total bust where the other two are hall of fame type players.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It's very frustrating as they don't prioritize the position. Years ago I remember you could of possibly drafted Cox at DT and Wagner at LB if they didn't trade up for Claiborne who they never even brought in for a visit and was a total bust where the other two are hall of fame type players.

Not entirely true. We were at #14. Cox was taken at #12.

Jerry said on record the picks would have been Brockers at #14 and Wagner in the 2nd round.

Still would have been awesome to get an above average DT (Brockers) and a future HOFer in Wagner.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not entirely true. We were at #14. Cox was taken at #12.

Jerry said on record the picks would have been Brockers at #14 and Wagner in the 2nd round.

Still would have been awesome to get an above average DT (Brockers) and a future HOFer in Wagner.
Your are right, Eagles traded up for Cox and it was reported we would take Brockers, who has had a solid career as a 1T in this league.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Some times you swing and miss. Claiborne was an absolute stud prospect he just didn’t pan out. Hindsight having Cox and Wagner would be awesome.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Some times you swing and miss. Claiborne was an absolute stud prospect he just didn’t pan out. Hindsight having Cox and Wagner would be awesome.
Yeah, at the time many were happy with the pick, but it was a big cost to get him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yeah, at the time many were happy with the pick, but it was a big cost to get him.

I’ll go to the grave saying I always thought it was a bad trade. I think I was on a different forum at that point but I argued we weren’t just “one player away.” We also didn’t even bring him in for a visit which could have been an opportunity to identify some red flags with his makeup. I thought he was soft in terms of the physical aspects of the game which continued on as a pro.

Now, in complete disclosure I also wasn’t banging the table for Brockers and Wagner, so I didn’t go full Nostradamus. IIRC, I really wanted Dre’ Kirkpatrick or David DeCastro at pick #14, so it wasn’t like I would have knocked it out the park. Both guys had decent careers (moreso DeCastro than Dre’).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’ll go to the grave saying I always thought it was a bad trade. I think I was on a different forum at that point but I argued we weren’t just “one player away.” We also didn’t even bring him in for a visit which could have been an opportunity to identify some red flags with his makeup. I thought he was soft in terms of the physical aspects of the game which continued on as a pro.

Now, in complete disclosure I also wasn’t banging the table for Brockers and Wagner, so I didn’t go full Nostradamus. IIRC, I really wanted Dre’ Kirkpatrick or David DeCastro at pick #14, so it wasn’t like I would have knocked it out the park. Both guys had decent careers (moreso DeCastro than Dre’).
I was all for DeCastro myself. Giving up a 2, is a huge price as it's a starter controlled at a low salary rate.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I like Jordan Davis for in the 1st round for this team. Run stopping problems have been chronic throughout the years, and with Parsons at MLB adding a brick wall for upfront to protect him would be awesome. Adding that big NT makes it easier for others. I don't care about his pass rush because team's don't need to pass if their blasting 5-6 YPC...keep watching these upcoming games.

He'll make your edge rush dangerous because there's no stepping up and escaping the pocket with this behemoth clogging the middle.

Mr_437

Reaction score
He’s 26 years old already? How long do you expect him to play in the league?
Wow.. thanks. I had to go look this up, and it does change my thinking on Davis. 26? Bruh that's a totally different conversation. Like yeah, he should be dominating 19-22 y.o. guys. Even worse...Davis will be 30 after his rookie deal, sheesh. I'd drop him a round to the 2nd for Dallas...they still need a player like Davis, and if they can get 4-6 years of solid production cool.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I was Team Poe that year

The Realist

Reaction score
Wow.. thanks. I had to go look this up, and it does change my thinking on Davis. 26? Bruh that's a totally different conversation. Like yeah, he should be dominating 19-22 y.o. guys. Even worse...Davis will be 30 after his rookie deal, sheesh. I'd drop him a round to the 2nd for Dallas...they still need a player like Davis, and if they can get 4-6 years of solid production cool.

I have a mild interest in Davis if he fell to bottom of 2, but I can’t tell you how annoyed I am that we almost never resign our 2nd round picks. The history of our 2nd round picks besides Lee and now Gregory (finally has been pathetic. Besides those 2 I can’t think of a 2nd rounder we’ve resigned over the last 15-20 years. Just came to me….Gurode makes 3 and Lawrence makes 4.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I have a mild interest in Davis if he fell to bottom of 2, but I can’t tell you how annoyed I am that we almost never resign our 2nd round picks. The history of our 2nd round picks besides Lee and now Gregory (finally has been pathetic. Besides those 2 I can’t think of a 2nd rounder we’ve resigned over the last 15-20 years. Just came to me….Gurode makes 3 and Lawrence makes 4.
Haha yeah, they might need to simply draft a safe pick in the 2nd.