Joseph Randle released

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Are you guys really arguing about a C. Hill tweet? That guy is barely literate. I wouldn't count on him being correct about anything until proven by other sources.

Hrumph. I guess he is not on your 1% list.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who is Joseph Randle?

If he was a Cowboys player he must not have been very good because I forgot him already

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I'm frustrated like many here, and watching Escobar disappear instead of stepping up adds to that. Then add in the fact that we cut this season's starting running back while passing over a guy who has become one of the league's best and most complete backs to draft the Invisible Man (Escobar), and it makes all of these events feel even worse.

Well that's fair. We just disagree in degree about Escobar although IDK what he's got. We're all frustrated and disillusioned with the team.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Your supposition is erroneous. You think our running attack is not effective and our A/YC is the same. We don't have the power as much but we have more big play explosiveness.

You win in the NFL with passing. Your pass offense and pass defense beats theirs. It's not the running game that wins although as I've always argued you must have an effective running game. We do.

You won't run as well if you can't pass well and vice versa.

We need better QB play and that will open the playbook and our offense will be more effective with a better SC% and RZ success. Our running game will be even better. So will TOP and FP. Put it all together and you get more PPG and wins.

And I do fundamentally agree. It all makes sense. But we lack the power to score TDs with the running game. A power running attack doesnt need an all-world passing attack. We lack the ability to enforce the running attack..... to make big plays and have TD scoring drives with the running attack.

I love the stats, I really do, but like I have said in other posts, you cant measure a team by stats. When we needed to pick up 3rd-2. We didnt. Which is really my problem with this entire team. We lack the ability to make plays , when we really need to make a plays to win the football game. Call it situational football. I wish there was some kind of stat , that measures that performance.....Those siutations in the game, when we get a turnover around the opponets 20 yard line, and everybody in the stadium and watching on TV, knows thats a golden opportunity to win the game. We needed to score a TD. We needed to pick up 3rd-2 to run some clock down...... We dont have a QB, so we turn to the running game. And time and time again, it fails. Where is that stat? Becuase I dont care if DMC runs for 200 with a YPC of 6.0, if we lose.........................

I know its most likely isolated, but the Rams dont have a particulary good QB. They have been winning with Defense and Todd Gurley. I think there are other teams that can win with the running game too. Seattle comes to mind.

We , for the most part, won games last year with a power running attack that scored TDs. To me, I wouldnt describe our current running game as "effective". Opposing teams tend to "rise up" and exert extra energy/effort when they really need to make a play. We have no answer for that.

And its a passing league for sure. But if you look around the NFL, the RBs are getting a lot done this year. I have heard it called the "Year of the Running Back"........ Teams need to win, with a good Rushing Attack as well as the ability to pass. The two go hand and hand. And now since Romo is hurt. We lack the ability to pick up the slack via the Running Game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
And I do fundamentally agree. It all makes sense. But we lack the power to score TDs with the running game. A power running attack doesnt need an all-world passing attack. We lack the ability to enforce the running attack..... to make big plays and have TD scoring drives with the running attack.

I love the stats, I really do, but like I have said in other posts, you cant measure a team by stats. When we needed to pick up 3rd-2. We didnt. Which is really my problem with this entire team. We lack the ability to make plays , when we really need to make a plays to win the football game. Call it situational football. I wish there was some kind of stat , that measures that performance.....Those siutations in the game, when we get a turnover around the opponets 20 yard line, and everybody in the stadium and watching on TV, knows thats a golden opportunity to win the game. We needed to score a TD. We needed to pick up 3rd-2 to run some clock down...... We dont have a QB, so we turn to the running game. And time and time again, it fails. Where is that stat? Becuase I dont care if DMC runs for 200 with a YPC of 6.0, if we lose.........................

I know its most likely isolated, but the Rams dont have a particulary good QB. They have been winning with Defense and Todd Gurley. I think there are other teams that can win with the running game too. Seattle comes to mind.

We , for the most part, won games last year with a power running attack that scored TDs. To me, I wouldnt describe our current running game as "effective". Opposing teams tend to "rise up" and exert extra energy/effort when they really need to make a play. We have no answer for that.

And its a passing league for sure. But if you look around the NFL, the RBs are getting a lot done this year. I have heard it called the "Year of the Running Back"........ Teams need to win, with a good Rushing Attack as well as the ability to pass. The two go hand and hand. And now since Romo is hurt. We lack the ability to pick up the slack via the Running Game.

I agree in general. There are times you need power and around the GL and short yardage we do. I've been on board for a big RB who can block, catch passes, and get really dirty yards. That sounds like a FB but a blocking FB who can do the rest is just hard to find. Finding a big back who can block reasonably well is not as hard. The problem is RBs all want to be lead runners and don't want to get hurt blocking.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Perhaps we can all acknowledged now that, again I say, not fighting for our livelihood and a huge part of our success last year (i.e. Demarco) was one of the worst decisions in Cowboys history.

Perhaps some of us still don't realize it yet but time will allow it to sink in.

& I hope we kick the crap out of the Eagles Sunday night but that contest doesn't have anything to do with the levity of the decision made in the offseason. Some will again say we had no choice. To that I will say, we always have a choice when the players is still part of the organization. Lack of creativity and true investment from a people perspective ultimately fed directly into the colossal faux pas.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What I hope comes out of this is Dallas goes into next offseason with a better plan at running back, no matter how McFadden's season plays out.

I think the fool's gold in this case would be McFadden staying healthy and having a good season (not saying I'm buying into it happening) and Dallas seeing that as a reason to go "cheap" at the position, like it did this season, instead of truly addressing it.

McFadden's injury history and seasons in the league should hopefully give Dallas pause, but considering the route they took this year after losing Murray in free agency, I'm not sure the Cowboys understand the need for better planning.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Also, if anyone would like to sound the "RB doesn't matter" horn again, I ask you to take a close look at what has been happening in St Louis over the last 4 weeks.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Can we just give up the Murray nonsense and at least change the debate to whether or not they should have signed Chris Johnson who is doing well in AZ at 870K for 2015.

Well, I wouldnt describe it as nonsense. The leagues leading rusher, team leader, engine behind a 12-4 season, one of two or three good season on over 20 years, allowed to walk, over a few million dollars I beleive.

Then not replacing that with any thing of real significance. I think its a legit debate.

But I get it. DM is gone. Nothing can be done about it now. And we didnt sign CJ or anybody else besides DMC. It hasnt worked.

Time to move on. WHich is exactly what they are doing, trading and signing everybody with a heartbeat. and releasing Randle....

but yeah; whats the saying? No use crying over spilled milk............................clean it up. move on.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Well, I wouldnt describe it as nonsense. The leagues leading rusher, team leader, engine behind a 12-4 season, one of two or three good season on over 20 years, allowed to walk, over a few million dollars I beleive.

Then not replacing that with any thing of real significance. I think its a legit debate.

But I get it. DM is gone. Nothing can be done about it now. And we didnt sign CJ or anybody else besides DMC. It hasnt worked.

Time to move on. WHich is exactly what they are doing, trading and signing everybody with a heartbeat. and releasing Randle....

but yeah; whats the saying? No use crying over spilled milk............................clean it up. move on.

It's all a load of crap if you ask me but no one wants to ask me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My point is that regardless of the Murray decision, which was the right decision IMO, and the decision not to draft a RB, they could have made those decisions a moot point by signing Chris Johnson who signed with AZ on Aug 17th. That was already into training camp where they should have had a better feel for Randle and McFadden that they would have in March when Murray departed.

I'm not saying they definitely should have signed CJ, but if they did there would be no lamenting Murray or the draft. At this point the running game has been good enough. Randle performed OK early in the season and McFadden has been good the past 2 weeks.

It's highly doubtful that signed Murray or CJ would have changed the win/loss record at this point. Without Romo and Dez the Cowboys needed a few breaks and they've tended to get the opposite. The one gaff by the refs in Seattle probably cost them the game. The Kick return TD in the Giants game was the difference.

Regardless of who is the RB, the QB has to make some plays to win in the NFL.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
My point is that regardless of the Murray decision, which was the right decision IMO, and the decision not to draft a RB, they could have made those decisions a moot point by signing Chris Johnson who signed with AZ on Aug 17th. That was already into training camp where they should have had a better feel for Randle and McFadden that they would have in March when Murray departed.

I'm not saying they definitely should have signed CJ, but if they did there would be no lamenting Murray or the draft. At this point the running game has been good enough. Randle performed OK early in the season and McFadden has been good the past 2 weeks.

It's highly doubtful that signed Murray or CJ would have changed the win/loss record at this point. Without Romo and Dez the Cowboys needed a few breaks and they've tended to get the opposite. The one gaff by the refs in Seattle probably cost them the game. The Kick return TD in the Giants game was the difference.

Regardless of who is the RB, the QB has to make some plays to win in the NFL.

I do think not signing CJ was a mistake. They rolled with Randle, and it hurt.

But I come out differently on this issue. I get it. DMC has been "good enough". But it means nothing............good enough, isnt cutting it. -- After what I saw last year, with this OL coming together.... I would have made the Running the focal point of the entire team. I wouldve signed "a few" stud RBs.......guys who can pound the rock. Not scat backs. Not speed backs. But guys who can get 3 yards when 3 yards arent there. And I wouldbe run the ball.....................

All Romo would have to do, is chuck it to Dez when they stack and keep them honest. OKay Tony, turn around , hand the ball off, and get out of the freaking way........................untouched.

And I actaully do think , with a CJ or Murray. it would result in 1 or 2 more wins. But thats all guess work/opinion.

The QB does have to make plays. I also put that on the FO/Coaching staff. That also shoudlve have been deteced during evaulations..."Weeden cant do it, maybe we should trade right now for Cassel, or get someone else who can"......in case, just in case, Romo, who were asking to do more now , since we didnt sign Murray or CJ or whoever, .....................goes down.

These decsions. Are hard. And often the wrong calls are made. When , multiple wrong calls are made, it results in losing seasons and missing out on the playoffs......The better managed franchises screw up all the time. They just make enough right calls, to keep them comepetive...... The Dallas Cowboys dont. Everyting has to go their way, in order to win....

Becuase of calls like, not signing CJ. or giving Murray and extra 2 mill , becuase they knew they didnt have a viable backup plan......etc etc.

We are 2-5. Facing an Eagles team coming off a Bye;

having said all that. I think we match up well with them. Im expecting a W in this one....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think not signing CJ was a mistake. They rolled with Randle, and it hurt.

But I come out differently on this issue. I get it. DMC has been "good enough". But it means nothing............good enough, isnt cutting it. -- After what I saw last year, with this OL coming together.... I would have made the Running the focal point of the entire team. I wouldve signed "a few" stud RBs.......guys who can pound the rock. Not scat backs. Not speed backs. But guys who can get 3 yards when 3 yards arent there. And I wouldbe run the ball.....................

All Romo would have to do, is chuck it to Dez when they stack and keep them honest. OKay Tony, turn around , hand the ball off, and get out of the freaking way........................untouched.

And I actaully do think , with a CJ or Murray. it would result in 1 or 2 more wins. But thats all guess work/opinion.

The QB does have to make plays. I also put that on the FO/Coaching staff. That also shoudlve have been deteced during evaulations..."Weeden cant do it, maybe we should trade right now for Cassel, or get someone else who can"......in case, just in case, Romo, who were asking to do more now , since we didnt sign Murray or CJ or whoever, .....................goes down.

These decsions. Are hard. And often the wrong calls are made. When , multiple wrong calls are made, it results in losing seasons and missing out on the playoffs......The better managed franchises screw up all the time. They just make enough right calls, to keep them comepetive...... The Dallas Cowboys dont. Everyting has to go their way, in order to win....

Becuase of calls like, not signing CJ. or giving Murray and extra 2 mill , becuase they knew they didnt have a viable backup plan......etc etc.

We are 2-5. Facing an Eagles team coming off a Bye;

having said all that. I think we match up well with them. Im expecting a W in this one....

Historic stats indicate a high probability of Murray not holding up in terms of performance or health. It's about an extra 2M this year but 42M total.

They did win just on the running game last season. It helped the passing game but Romo and the threat of the pass really helped the running game.

Weed/Cassel and no Dez have been a big detriment to the running game.

Yes, they should have known Weed can't play but they had to make that decision in March. By the preseason it was too late to find another QB.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Historic stats indicate a high probability of Murray not holding up in terms of performance or health. It's about an extra 2M this year but 42M total.

They did win just on the running game last season. It helped the passing game but Romo and the threat of the pass really helped the running game.

Weed/Cassel and no Dez have been a big detriment to the running game.

Yes, they should have known Weed can't play but they had to make that decision in March. By the preseason it was too late to find another QB.

I've come to the conclusion that you're a PR plant from Valley Ranch. ;)You're doing a bang up job.:thumbup: