Josh Brent to sit with Brown family at memorial service

dallas_112678

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4892627 said:
I think it's sad that the family of the man killed is more forgiving than our fans.

It is sad, but not so surprising. Fans don't know the dynamics of THEIR relationship.

Here is a more detailed story and a quote from Brown's mother:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...wants-josh-brent-ride-her-160248144--nfl.html

"I was upset, but I realized that our youth today are young and stupid, and we were all once that age, and we've all done things we're not proud of," Jackson said on Monday's Piers Morgan Tonight show on CNN. "I realized that everyone thinks they're invincible, and everyone thinks, 'it's not going to happen to me.' I know Josh Brent, and he's been part of our family since Jerry went to the University of Illinois -- all I can do is to pray for him and his family. I know [Brent] is hurting just as much as we are, because [he] and Jerry were like brothers."

I agree with her completely about thinking "this could never happen to me." I was actually in a car accident recently. I wasn't drunk but I was very tired from not having much sleep the night before and I ended up losing control and crashing on the highway. I knew I shouldn't have continued driving, but ever did I think anything like that could happen so I continued. Luckily no one was hurt from that mistake.

The point is, Brent and Brown were like family. If something happened to one of my kids (when I actually have them) and the driver was someone close then I could easily see myself taking the road that the Browns are especially because I know from my own experience that everyone makes that one stupid mistake. I feel sorry for Brown and his family, but I guarantee you that the person who is in most pain is Brent because he knows that it was his mistake that caused his best friends death. I can't even comprehend how I would feel if my mistake did the same.

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
brent should jail time, and theres no doubt that he will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

but he is not a bad person. this could happen to anybody. for everyone involved, its just a horrific tragedy. i feel horrible for all of them

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
CowboysYanksLakers;4892838 said:
Man this is very touching...

Yup...incredible act of kindness and the best of humanity on display there today.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Hostile;4892297 said:
I can't tell you how badly I feel for Josh Brent right now. I am good with words and I don't have the ability to express the thoughts. I am so glad Jerry's family and the team are not shunning him, but rather are embracing him. Today will be emotional for the whole team and it will be especially intense for him.

I wonder if the fact that Brown's family seems to be very understanding and forgiving will come to play in court. Sure hope so...

Lodeus

Reaction score
Seemed Brent and Brown were like brothers. I am sure his family knows that.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I am at a loss for words. I feel so bad for Brent on a human level, as he does not seem like a bad guy at all. If anything he seems like a great guy who is willing to give to anyone. Obviously Mrs. Jackson knows Josh very well, and knows he made a mistake and he never wished to harm her son. (I know that he shouldn't be driving while intoxicated and I am not excusing that). Saying that it wouldn't surprise me if she played a big role in Brent's defense when he goes on trial etc... It is going to be a hard day for Josh and Jerry's family and maybe Mrs. Jackson is looking to Josh as her support as well to help get through this terrible pain.

gmb85

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;4892931 said:
Being angry at Josh won't bring her son back
Truest statement ever. I can relate to this situation and being made at the perp doesn't solve anything. It's better to forgive and let go of the anger.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
dallas_112678;4892810 said:
It is sad, but not so surprising. Fans don't know the dynamics of THEIR relationship.

Here is a more detailed story and a quote from Brown's mother:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...wants-josh-brent-ride-her-160248144--nfl.html

"I was upset, but I realized that our youth today are young and stupid, and we were all once that age, and we've all done things we're not proud of," Jackson said on Monday's Piers Morgan Tonight show on CNN. "I realized that everyone thinks they're invincible, and everyone thinks, 'it's not going to happen to me.' I know Josh Brent, and he's been part of our family since Jerry went to the University of Illinois -- all I can do is to pray for him and his family. I know [Brent] is hurting just as much as we are, because [he] and Jerry were like brothers."

I agree with her completely about thinking "this could never happen to me." I was actually in a car accident recently. I wasn't drunk but I was very tired from not having much sleep the night before and I ended up losing control and crashing on the highway. I knew I shouldn't have continued driving, but ever did I think anything like that could happen so I continued. Luckily no one was hurt from that mistake.

The point is, Brent and Brown were like family. If something happened to one of my kids (when I actually have them) and the driver was someone close then I could easily see myself taking the road that the Browns are especially because I know from my own experience that everyone makes that one stupid mistake. I feel sorry for Brown and his family, but I guarantee you that the person who is in most pain is Brent because he knows that it was his mistake that caused his best friends death. I can't even comprehend how I would feel if my mistake did the same.

I could as see myself taking that road as well. My mothers brother was shot and killed in a hunting accident when he was 18 by his good friend. My grandparents could have been pissed and hated him, etc. They forgave him and realized it was an accident and that he would have to live with it. We are imperfect. People make mistakes. I don't think a single person on this board has the right to sit here and judge Josh Brent.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
CowboyStar88;4892929 said:
I am at a loss for words. I feel so bad for Brent on a human level, as he does not seem like a bad guy at all. If anything he seems like a great guy who is willing to give to anyone. Obviously Mrs. Jackson knows Josh very well, and knows he made a mistake and he never wished to harm her son. (I know that he shouldn't be driving while intoxicated and I am not excusing that). Saying that it wouldn't surprise me if she played a big role in Brent's defense when he goes on trial etc... It is going to be a hard day for Josh and Jerry's family and maybe Mrs. Jackson is looking to Josh as her support as well to help get through this terrible pain.

Personally, I think standing in front of a judge and telling him/her that jail is nothing compared to what Josh will have to live with is all it should take. Putting him away for a few years is nothing compared to killing your best friend.

Fmart322

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4892627 said:
I think it's sad that the family of the man killed is more forgiving than our fans.

So true. After reading the post when it happened I felt bad for Brent for being a part of his best friends death. I would rather do time then be responsable for my best friends death.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4892225 said:
Ë“Josh will meet them at the airport,” Jones said on his radio show on KRLD-FM Tuesday morning. “She wanted Josh Brent to ride with them to the memorial service and sit with them during the service. They were best friends and teammates in college. Jerry was living with Josh…because of Josh’s generosity. They were on the way to the house when the accident happened. *She wanted to be right with josh. She wanted to express in every way she could how much they loved him and thought of him. She wanted him included with the family.”

Clarence Hill

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-brentwanted-him-with-family-at-memorial.html

If his family has forgiven him, than it's done... No reason to dwell on it anymore.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
CowboyStar88;4893411 said:
They probably have taken turns in the past driving when heading out to the clubs. It's a tragic situation. Listen to sit here and say that friends don't take turns driving when going out drinking is foolish. Because it happens all the time.

I absolutely agree.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Reaction score
I bet you at least 60 percent of students on campus these days qualify as alcoholics if driving while intoxicated is the standard measurement... getting caught for DUI just means you've been caught for a DUI...

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Illini88228;4893460 said:
He was in the supplemental draft because of academic ineligibility, not the dui.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ent-taken-in-last-round-of-supplemental-draft

On Feb. 21, 2009, Brent was arrested in Illinois on misdemeanor DUI charges and driving on a suspended license. He was also ticketed for speeding.

Brent pleaded not guilty but eventually spent 30 days in Champaign County Jail in June 2009.

Brent told the Chicago Tribune in 2009 that the month he spent in jail made an impact on him.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...nal-record-when-they-drafted-josh-brent.html/

Illini88228

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4893484 said:
On Feb. 21, 2009, Brent was arrested in Illinois on misdemeanor DUI charges and driving on a suspended license. He was also ticketed for speeding.

Brent pleaded not guilty but eventually spent 30 days in Champaign County Jail in June 2009.

Brent told the Chicago Tribune in 2009 that the month he spent in jail made an impact on him.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...nal-record-when-they-drafted-josh-brent.html/

I know he had a prior DUI. I was just pointing out that he was in the sup. draft for a different reason.

popp1234

Reaction score
Obviously, the Brown family still embrace him. That's admirable. Quite honestly, I envy every last one of them.