Josina Anderson: Cowboys are not expected to be at top of RB market

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saquon to eagles. 3 years $37m and an annual average salary of 15 per. Way way more than I expected and wouldn’t want cowboys to pay
Same here! But I will already stand corrected. I’m surprised to see the Eagles do this.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Same here! But I will already stand corrected. I’m surprised to see the Eagles do this.

I am too. Way too much risk for me with his injury history, of course if it pays off and he’s healthy it’s gonna be a great move…likely 2 years then he’s restructured or released.

Salary is year 1: 13.25…year 2; 11.25…..year 3 13.25

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am too. Way too much risk for me with his injury history, of course if it pays off and he’s healthy it’s gonna be a great move…likely 2 years then he’s restructured or released.

Salary is year 1: 13.25…year 2; 11.25…..year 3 13.25
I think it’s a terrible move. Demarco Murray all over again.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When Steven spoke if you read between the lines, he said Dallas will not sign a RB.

Amazing when they don't everyone is surprised.
They will sign a running back, it just won't be anyone who is worth having. It will be a free agent who is cheap because he had a down year or because he has been a backup/rotational back and has not proven he can be a lead back or he's coming off injury.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I’m glad to read that.

Very few of the more successful teams are paying big money for a running back. San Francisco is the notable exception. And they can do it because they have a quarterback on a Mr Irrelevant rookie contract.

But take a look at how the other teams who paid big for running backs did collectively.

It wasn’t good.

And that’s why there are so many now available.
Big money for RB doesn’t mean much any more the position has been devalued so much. There’s a reason a lot of successful teams just picked up a lot of the top backs on the market. Obviously as you mentioned SF has CmC but Philly picked up Barkley, Green Bay got Jacobs, Baltimore got Henry… All good franchises that are investing in the RB position because they know it’s an important one and the price is so low that the value is there right now. Dallas management is just not dexterous enough so see these shifts. Yes, in the past, long term big money deals to RB has crippled some teams. But now, the position costs a fraction of what a WR or OL costs and even getting a guy at the top of the market is a bargain. Not only are RB dirt cheap right now they are taking shorter deals so there is less risk involved. Successful franchises have taken notice and are investing.