Jury orders NFL to pay nearly $4.8 billion in 'Sunday Ticket' case for violating antitrust laws

Flamma

Reaction score
It doesn't BUT if you impose conditions on the ONE outlet that force customers to pay more, that's a problem. The NFL sold NFL Sunday Ticket to DIRECTV at the market value and received every penny but that was enough. They controlled how DIRECTV could distribute the package with the customers could be charged. In other words, why would you worry about how much I charge customers if you get your money under the contract?
Ok. I am starting to get it. But this gets complicated. I just hope the results don't make it worse for the viewing public.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I hope they take it all from big and little. Not like they can spend less than they already do
You know we're not that much under the salary cap right? It's not like we have $60m in cap space just sitting around going unused. Sure we didn't spend much this off-season, but that's because we don't have a ton to spend and we have extensions coming up that will cost quite a bit (hopefully excluding Prescott).

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Sounds about right.

Got a $40 settlement from a class action suit for Luckin’ Coffee stock. I lost $1,000 on it.. $40 woo hoo.
I got $35 from the Keurig / Green Mountain Coffee suit, cant remember how much I bought. It did not matter. But $35 was the max you could get. However I did get the coffee to make and drink. I forget what the suit was for, maybe over charging.
I once got like $450 in a class action lawsuit from Wells Fargo because of all the times they got caught with their hand in the proverbial cookie jar with mortgages and credit cards. But they just applied it to my mortgage so I never saw the money.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This topic escalated quickly, lol. Is there anything NFL fans do not blame their fellow fans about?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The law just doesn't mean anything anymore. Courts just keep inventing crap for whatever ruling they feel like.

Nobody was forced to buy this. The league has a right to its broadcast rights. Nobody was harmed here.

So does Apple break the law by being the only service to show Ted Lasso?
Businesses have rules to follow. Most of those rules pertain to not doing anything that restricts competition. Mainly because it has been shown that lack of competition leads to massive overpricing. There is nothing new about what is being alleged here. The NFL offers its broadcast rights to any of the major networks who are willing to pay for it. The lawsuit posits that they should have extended the same policy to Sunday Ticket. If NBC, CBS, Amazon, Disney, ABC, ESPN whoever had been able to bid on it then DirectTV would not have been the only game in town and probably would not have been able to gouge the hell outta people for the service. The funny part is that DirecTV broadcasts the out of market games USING the feeds from the networks. They don't have their own cameras at every stadium or anything. So they are literally reselling something the networks already paid for and charging people for it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everybody who paid for Sunday Ticket is part of the lawsuit. There will be emails and letters coming around in a little while asking subscribers to confirm they want to opt in.
Bold> The action only covers Directv customers, who paid for The Sunday Ticket between 2011 and 2022.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree completely. I paid for it back then as well and thought it was over-priced too, but I chose to do it.

The only legal issue I see is that they limited it to one provider which forced subscribers to pay for additional services and equipment, which also included yearly and multi-year contracts back then.

That likely was a violation of the anti-trust laws given the NFL's special protection in that area.

If the NFL had just streamed it themselves back then or offered it through local cable companies it would have been less of a burden on many people beyond the NST cost itself.
I agree as well. I never purchased Sunday Ticket because I didn't want to go the satellite route because I did not want DirectTV. Last year I finally paid for Sunday Ticket as it was going through YouTube TV and I didn't need to purchase additional equipment and when the season was over I cancelled YouTube TV.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I agree as well. I never purchased Sunday Ticket because I didn't want to go the satellite route because I did not want DirectTV. Last year I finally paid for Sunday Ticket as it was going through YouTube TV and I didn't need to purchase additional equipment and when the season was over I cancelled YouTube TV.
I just moved to DFW and was able to forget about Sunday Ticket altogether! I mean the whole move only cost me about 30 G's so it was a complete bargain! LOL! Now I can watch the Cowboys for free!!! That was the only reason I got it originally while I was living in Cali. I did fall in love with the ability to watch bits and pieces of every game though. Flippin back and forth checking in on my favorite non-Cowboy players. What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday! Unfortunately after I got married my wife wants to limit me to JUST watching the Cowboys.. Women.. they just don't understand... I swear! :laugh:

gtb1943

Reaction score
BUT if the verdict is upheld, it could affect it in the future as there will be less revenue.
Bottom line it looks like if the NFL has to cough up the money now per court decision then the OWNERS have to come up with it
AND that could be interesting as some of the owners are not really all that well off to have to come up with possibly $200-400 million each

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just moved to DFW and was able to forget about Sunday Ticket altogether! I mean the whole move only cost me about 30 G's so it was a complete bargain! LOL! Now I can watch the Cowboys for free!!! That was the only reason I got it originally while I was living in Cali. I did fall in love with the ability to watch bits and pieces of every game though. Flippin back and forth checking in on my favorite non-Cowboy players. What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday! Unfortunately after I got married my wife wants to limit me to JUST watching the Cowboys.. Women.. they just don't understand... I swear! :laugh:
Sad part is I purchased Sunday Ticket not for the Cowboys, but for my wife who is a huge Steelers' fan. It was part of her birthday gift. I felt very dirty buying the package because of that.