Just a draft question

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this goes against the grain of many here, but as much as I like Earl Thomas, I’m not that sold on a move to get him. He will be 29 in May, has had some injury issues, and clearly his best days are in the reaview mirror. Unless I’m mistaken, his contract would not be that cap friendly either.

There are several excellent young safeties in the draft and I would rather go that route.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I know this goes against the grain of many here, but as much as I like Earl Thomas, I’m not that sold on a move to get him. He will be 29 in May, has had some injury issues, and clearly his best days are in the reaview mirror. Unless I’m mistaken, his contract would not be that cap friendly either.

There are several excellent young safeties in the draft and I would rather go that route.
29 isnt old for a safety.

I find the "clearly his best days are behind him" part interesting. He'll continue to be a top 10 safety fpr the foreseeable future.

Also this draft's weakest position is safety, and its not really close.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I find the "clearly his best days are behind him" part interesting. He'll continue to be a top 10 safety fpr the foreseeable future.

QC, what scares about Thomas more than age is the mileage on those tires. I can’t see him having a better or even as good a future than his past.

cnuball21

Reaction score

You think the safety class is weak? I think it's pretty solid. Not a lot of top end guys outside of James, but really solid mid round depth.

I think the OT class is the weakest.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You think the safety class is weak? I think it's pretty solid. Not a lot of top end guys outside of James, but really solid mid round depth.

I think the OT class is the weakest.
Yeah, there just isnt much middle round value.

Woods and Desmond King are in the same tier as the 2nd level guys behind Fitz and James in this draft IMO.

We should have double dipped at safety last year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dallas FA goes like this, who is the first pick you think Dallas takes?

Dallas resigns Cooper, Tank, Hitchens, and keeps Hanna, Beasley
Dallas restructures and extends Dez

Dallas signs Derrick Johnson to a low risk short term contract.
Dallas signs Dontarie Poe.
Dallas SNT Irving to Seattle for Earl Thomas with him signing a 1 year extension.
Dallas signs a speed WR to replace Butler -- (I am not sure who is out there)

Where does Dallas go in the first then?

There is still a massive hole at WR unless that FA speed WR is a #1 type WR.

Dez taking a paycut does not solve the Dez is a terrible #1 WR issue.

They also have to address Swing Tackle.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah, there just isnt much middle round value.

Woods and Desmond King are in the same tier as the 2nd level guys behind Fitz and James in this draft IMO.

We should have double dipped at safety last year.

I'd disagree with ya on that one. Just started another entire thread on it actually...lot's of guys I think you can nab in round 3-5 that have the potential to turn into starters.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I'd disagree with ya on that one. Just started another entire thread on it actually...lot's of guys I think you can nab in round 3-5 that have the potential to turn into starters.
Isnt that exactly what King and Woods were? Hell King has already nabbed a starting spot in his first season on one of the better defenses in the league.

And thats with those two guys being drafted in the 5th and 6th round. So intead of spending a 3rd-5th on a possible starter last year, you could have done that in the 5th-6th last year.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Isnt that exactly what King and Woods were? Hell King has already nabbed a starting spot in his first season on one of the better defenses in the league.

And thats with those two guys being drafted in the 5th and 6th round. So intead of spending a 3rd-5th on a possible starter last year, you could have done that in the 5th-6th last year.

I like Woods, but not as a long term fix at Safety. I think he's a quality nickle/dime CB like he was used last year, but I'm not sure he carries the size/length or has the tackling ability to be an every down safety. The way we used him last year maximized his skill set and he played well.

I like King, but he's not on our team, so I'm not sure why he's relevant in this?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I like Woods, but not as a long term fix at Safety. I think he's a quality nickle/dime CB like he was used last year, but I'm not sure he carries the size/length or has the tackling ability to be an every down safety. The way we used him last year maximized his skill set and he played well.

I like King, but he's not on our team, so I'm not sure why he's relevant in this?
He's relevant in that I believe this is a down year in safety prospects compared to years past.

I hope Woods wasnt maxed out last year, I have high hopes for him.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's relevant in that I believe this is a down year in safety prospects compared to years past.

I hope Woods wasnt maxed out last year, I have high hopes for him.

But King was drafted as a mid rounder and that's exactly what I want to draft...so I'm not sure where the disconnect is. King also had zero tape as a safety so he's not a very good person to make an argument against as he's a total outlier.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
But King was drafted as a mid rounder and that's exactly what I want to draft...so I'm not sure where the disconnect is. King also had zero tape as a safety so he's not a very good person to make an argument against as he's a total outlier.
I guess the disconnect is that I'm saying you wont get the value in this years draft as you could last year.

Thats why I said this safety class is weak which started the discussion.

You arent getting a player of Woods or Kings caliber in the 5th-6th round in this years class. Its just not going to happen because it is weaker.

He might not have had much tape, but every single draft outlet had King as a safety not a CB. So teams knew they were drafting a safety.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I disagree. If the idea is FS now, this is the wrong draft to do it in.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I guess the disconnect is that I'm saying you wont get the value in this years draft as you could last year.

Thats why I said this safety class is weak which started the discussion.

You arent getting a player of Woods or Kings caliber in the 5th-6th round in this years class. Its just not going to happen because it is weaker.

He might not have had much tape, but every single draft outlet had King as a safety not a CB. So teams knew they were drafting a safety.

I guess I'm just going to agree to disagree here. There were 8 safeties drafted last year in rounds 3-5.

Ronnie Harrison
Justin Reid
Terrell Edmunds
Kyzir White
Jessie Bates
Armani Watts
Marcus Allen
NAtrell Jamerson

Theres 8 names that are quality prospects that could be had after the 1st round.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Big whole at OL?

I understand we need to figure out LG, but with Smith coming back healthy this is a still a top 5 unit in the NFL.

The OL is probably the part of our team I'm worried least about.

T.smith's back injury history is two years old [2016] This board climbs all over the FO for not
giving due diligence to [example] the interior of the defensive line. Back injuries arent something to dismiss.
Chaz Green, Jonathan Cooper and Byron Bell, Cooper did OK Chaz Green was an embarrassment .
Bell didn't disappoint because I didn't expect anything from him.
I hope we invest early and twice in the trenches. Thats our bread and butter.
You and I disagree it happens.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/02/23/mailbag-te-depth-roster-weighing-dez-bryant’s-status

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I guess I'm just going to agree to disagree here. There were 8 safeties drafted last year in rounds 3-5.

Ronnie Harrison
Justin Reid
Terrell Edmunds
Kyzir White
Jessie Bates
Armani Watts
Marcus Allen
NAtrell Jamerson

Theres 8 names that are quality prospects that could be had after the 1st round.

If Justin Reid is there in the second, I am handing in my draft card so f'ing fast.

I have no idea where he's valued, tbh. No one ever talks about him. NFL.com doesn't even have a scouting report up.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
There is still a massive hole at WR unless that FA speed WR is a #1 type WR.

Dez taking a paycut does not solve the Dez is a terrible #1 WR issue.

They also have to address Swing Tackle.
This is kind of what I was thinking as well.
The draft would allow for various players in the top three rounds instead of needs.
Even if the FA period went as I wrote above:
Yes Dallas needs a swing tackle. But a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be fine to develop, not need to start right now.
Yes Dallas needs a WR, but Brown would have time to develop, and since this seems like a down year for elite WR in the draft maybe a lower rnd one.
Yes Dallas needs a LB - because it can't just be Smith and Lee and Johnson doesn't have that many years left in him.
Yes Dallas needs to start looking for Wittens replacement.

I just think if they would do the things I listed at the first, then BPA becomes the pick without worrying about need.

Prime21

Reaction score
1. Derwin James for the epic secondary.
2. Maurice Hurst for the 3 tech to replace Irving.