Just a thought

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I would like to see us trade ala (Like what we did with Buffalo). We get ourselves a first round pick for next year. With the 2 first rounders next year, we take a serious run at trading up for Brady Quinn. I think this guy is going to be great.

I see no problem having 2 second rounders this year.....it's seems there should be many solid players left that would be able to fill holes.

Thoughts???

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
I would like to see us trade ala (Like what we did with Buffalo). We get ourselves a first round pick for next year. With the 2 first rounders next year, we take a serious run at trading up for Brady Quinn. I think this guy is going to be great.

I see no problem having 2 second rounders this year.....it's seems there should be many solid players left that would be able to fill holes.

Thoughts???

If Dallas can find a dance partner, I think its an excellent idea.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
My opinion?
Almost no one is worth 2 first round picks.

Quinn looks good but he doesn't look like a must-have, guaranteed winner.

With 2 1st rounders you can easily get a franchise OT and WR in the middle of the round for example.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A true franchise QB is easily worth two first round picks, IMO, but who's to say that trading up for Quinn would take that? I mean, it could. Quinn could be a top 5 pick next year. In that situation, it probably would. However, your thinking a bit one dimensionally here. For example, if we traded down this year and aquired an extra #1 next year, who's to say we couldn't trade one of the #1s and our 2 for Quinn and still retain our second #1? Honestly, I see very little down side to trading for an extra #1 next year.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
The more I read and learn about this draft, I really think trading down is the way to go. I am the first to admit I am no drafnik. I get my info from various sources and reading lots. (I watch very little College Football) All indications from what I've read leads me to think we could come away with 2 solid prospects.

I don't see any one player at 18 that is going to drastically change the Cowboys record. Let's get the depth and stock up for next year to get our franchise QB.

I do realize that getting the extra first does not mean we would be gauranteed a deal to move up for Quinn. However, I would like to have the ammo going into the next draft to see if it's a possiblity though.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
The more I read and learn about this draft, I really think trading down is the way to go. I am the first to admit I am no drafnik. I get my info from various sources and reading lots. (I watch very little College Football) All indications from what I've read leads me to think we could come away with 2 solid prospects.

I don't see any one player at 18 that is going to drastically change the Cowboys record. Let's get the depth and stock up for next year to get our franchise QB.

I do realize that getting the extra first does not mean we would be gauranteed a deal to move up for Quinn. However, I would like to have the ammo going into the next draft to see if it's a possiblity though.
Remember, someone has to want to trade up enough for us to trade down.
Who's gonna be desperate enough to give us next year's 1st to trade up to #18?

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Maybe someone stupid like Buffalo or the Raiders. I don't think it's that far fetched an idea though. I could be wrong, but it was "Just a thought".

fortdick

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:

Thoughts???

This is exactly what we should do! I said as much a month ago and got the same response. Quinn isn't worth it.

Go figure.

burmafrd

Reaction score
we will all have another full season to evaluate Quinn; so if he shines as he did this year then there will be little doubt. Getting 2 years to study under Weiss is a pretty good primer for the pros.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'd do it without blinking an eye . Give me a choice between Leinert , Young , and Quinn , and I take Quinn every single time ! In my opinion he is the real deal , Heisman hopeful , and probably the #1 overall pick next year . Now that can all fall apart in one seaon , but he was more impressive to me than any of the QBs mentioned above . Should Bledsoe go down this year and Romo/Henson step up to show they are our future , then great , you still have two first round selection going into next season . The problem is finding somebody as stupid as Buffalo ! Our best hope would be for J. Cutler to drop to us , and have a team like Miami knocking on the door .

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:

Thoughts???
I love the idea of getting Quinn. IMO, he's the best QB prospect of the last 4 or 5 years.

However, I don't think 2 first rounders will be enough unless one of them is really high. I fully expect us to be in the high 20's or later with our own pick. If we aren't it will be a wasted season.

That means someone picking after 18 this year is going to come crashing to earth and they are going to see someone at 18 that they have to have.

What are the odds? I'd say fairly long.

This is a deep Draft. Especially day 1. I'd like to see us get a 4th rounder back and maybe turn 18 into 2 or 3 picks. Banking on a shot at Quinn is too risky.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I love the idea of getting Quinn. IMO, he's the best QB prospect of the last 4 or 5 years.

However, I don't think 2 first rounders will be enough unless one of them is really high. I fully expect us to be in the high 20's or later with our own pick. If we aren't it will be a wasted season.

That means someone picking after 18 this year is going to come crashing to earth and they are going to see someone at 18 that they have to have.

What are the odds? I'd say fairly long.

This is a deep Draft. Especially day 1. I'd like to see us get a 4th rounder back and maybe turn 18 into 2 or 3 picks. Banking on a shot at Quinn is too risky.

You're only thinking of dropping down into later in the first round. A team at the top of the second wouldn't have to "crash to earth", they're already there. I'd think the Jets for example may want to make a splash this year in the draft and if Pennington doesn't return healthy, they aren't going to win a lot of games next year either. Or even the Raiders, the Good Lord doesn't know what Davis will do next.

And even if it were a team later in the first, in today's NFL one injury (see Jets, Pennington) can send a playoff team to the top 5 in a heartbeat.

The pick I thinks possible that I'd really love to have would be the Lions. Millen really needs to pull something off on the GM front or he's gone and I believe he's stupid and desperate (a dangerous combination) enough to give their second and fourth this year along with a first next year to get #18.

I also think he's dumb enough to use that pick on Santonio Holmes, assuring Dallas of a top 10 pick next year.

kartr

Reaction score
We haven't seen enough of Quinn to be so high on him. I do think he's very good, but he didn't look special against Ohio ST. and he didn't do anymore against USC than Vince Young. Actually, Vince Young beat both Ohio St. and USC with very good performances, so we'd actually do better to try and trade up to get Vince Young instead. Texas beat USC in their backyard and beat Ohio St. on the road and Vince was dominant in both games. But my first preference is trade down to the 25th position and get an extra 3rd to trade up in the 2nd to get Omar Jacobs. In my opinion, he's the most polished QB in the draft other than Leinart and will available to us,plus he's more athletic than Quinn who won't be readily available to us next year.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
kartr said:
We haven't seen enough of Quinn to be so high on him. I do think he's very good, but he didn't look special against Ohio ST. and he didn't do anymore against USC than Vince Young. Actually, Vince Young beat both Ohio St. and USC with very good performances, so we'd actually do better to try and trade up to get Vince Young instead. Texas beat USC in their backyard and beat Ohio St. on the road and Vince was dominant in both games. But my first preference is trade down to the 25th position and get an extra 3rd to trade up in the 2nd to get Omar Jacobs. In my opinion, he's the most polished QB in the draft other than Leinart and will available to us,plus he's more athletic than Quinn who won't be readily available to us next year.

kartr likes Young and Jacobs more than Lienart or Quinn.

Is anyone suprised?

Let me suggest one reason why with kartr:
vince_young(2006-with-crystal-med).jpg

Young

202515.jpeg

Jacobs

LEINART_MIC_150.JPG

Leinart

216768.jpeg

Brady Quinn.

Why do we let kartr continue to post here? Everyone one of his posts is the same crap. His same agenda.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
kartr said:

I've seen enough of him. What's more, we've probably already got the straight up on him already. You know that Weiss and BP will talk. We will know everything there is to know about him, as will Cleveland and NE. To me, Cleveland is really the team we have to worry about with Quinn. They need a QB and they will have a higher pick. Quinn would know our offense already so he should be able to step in and produce sooner. It's the same offense ND runs right now. Same with Cleveland.

You look around the NFL right now and there are more teams who have QBs then who don't.

If you go division by division, here's how it stacks up to me.

NE - Brady
Miami - Needs one, might get one this year if Cutler slides.
Buffalo - JP
Jets - Need one but might get one this year if trade for Rivers works.
Cincy - Palmer
Pitt - Roeth
Baltimore - Needs one. Don't know about Boller
Cleveland - Needs one. Don't know about Frye.
Indy - Manning
Jags - Lefty
Tenn - Will get one this year.
Houston - Carr
Denver - Plummer
KC - Needs one. They have Green but he's about 100 now.
Bolts - Brees
Oak - Needs one.
Giants - Manning
Washington - Brunell, Ramsey and Campbell. There good.
Dallas - Needs one. We got Bledsoe but he's older. What else?
Philly - McNappie
Chicago - Grossman/Orton
Minnesota - Culpepper
Detroit - Needs one.
Green Bay - Rogers
TB - Simms
Carolina - Delhomme
Atlanta - Vick
NO - Will get one this year.
Seattle - Hasselbeck
St. Louis - Bulger
Cards - Needs one. May get one this year if Cutler appeals.
SF - Smith

That really only leaves like 9 teams that need QBs, of which one will get Cutler, one will likely get Rivers or Brees, two might stick with what they have with Boller and Frye, and one might stick another season or two if they think they can wait with Green. Now your down to like 4 to 5 teams. It's possible we could work out a deal to move up an grab Quinn with two 1st round picks if we wanted to.

Also, keep in mind, there will be other QB options available next year and there will also be teams who will take QBs they like this year that might even thin that heard a bit more.

Lastly, I would say that Quinn is not the only player I would covet next year. Adrian Pederson is going to be a Jr. next year. I wouldn't exactly jump off a bridge if we were fortunate enough to get that guy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
You're only thinking of dropping down into later in the first round. A team at the top of the second wouldn't have to "crash to earth", they're already there. I'd think the Jets for example may want to make a splash this year in the draft and if Pennington doesn't return healthy, they aren't going to win a lot of games next year either. Or even the Raiders, the Good Lord doesn't know what Davis will do next.

And even if it were a team later in the first, in today's NFL one injury (see Jets, Pennington) can send a playoff team to the top 5 in a heartbeat.

The pick I thinks possible that I'd really love to have would be the Lions. Millen really needs to pull something off on the GM front or he's gone and I believe he's stupid and desperate (a dangerous combination) enough to give their second and fourth this year along with a first next year to get #18.

I also think he's dumb enough to use that pick on Santonio Holmes, assuring Dallas of a top 10 pick next year.
True about the high 2nd. I still think it's a roll of the dice to target a player who isn't even eligible yet.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
We haven't? You mean, you haven't.

I'd take Quinn over Cutler, Leinart, or Young right now in a heartbeat.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hostile said:
True about the high 2nd. I still think it's a roll of the dice to target a player who isn't even eligible yet.

I agree in a sense that it's not bright to target a specific player for next year's draft but I'm looking at it as targetting a difference maker. Who knows, maybe Bledsoe goes down (please, please, please, pleeeeease:rolleyes: ) and one of the others is Tom Brady. While Quinn is incredible, it would no longer be considered a "need".

Two firsts next year is still a nice problem to have unless you think the 18th pick is the one player Dallas needs to win the Super Bowl.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
cobra said:
kartr likes Young and Jacobs more than Lienart or Quinn.

Is anyone suprised?

Let me suggest one reason why with kartr:
vince_young(2006-with-crystal-med).jpg

Young

202515.jpeg

Jacobs

LEINART_MIC_150.JPG

Leinart

216768.jpeg

Brady Quinn.

Why do we let kartr continue to post here? Everyone one of his posts is the same crap. His same agenda.
Then what's everyone else's agenda here. They're talking Leinart/Cutler/Quinn... Is that an agenda as well?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I would put all of my chips on this year if I were BP. I think we are close to another SB this year, and I would get as many starters as I can right now.

I would go as far as possibly even (we know Cobra will object) taking next years 1st and making a move this year with it to gain extra picks this year, or use it with Ellis and get an extra great pick to get more help this year.

We are on the verge I think.. RT can get solved, OLB/NT/FS & receiver in this draft if we mortgage next years 1st to do it. I'd rather do that, than waste my time on hoping Quinn will be the one. WE are all looking for Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, when we need to be looking at getting a dominating defense and a really good OLine....

My point is, if I traded down, it would be to gain extra picks for this year or to grab a next years 1, to use this year as leverage.