CFZ Just be aware of the business end of the NFL

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t buy into conspiracy if for no other reason than Congress hasn’t gotten into it. I guarantee if there was something there some congressman/woman would be looking to advance themselves investigating.
It’s the leagues biggest fear cause Congressional oversight committees have the power to remove the NFL antitrust status which allows not only their tax exempt status but monopoly on network tv rights.

Flamma

Reaction score
I can see a few refs getting together after seeing Jerry's Halloween costume and saying, let's show him just how well we can see. :)

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment of this note. I’ve been hearing variations of this NFL conspiracy theories for the 40 years I have been watching the NFL and have never seen any evidence of this kind of top level conspiracy to manipulate games, outcomes, etc.

I’m not so close minded to think it’s impossible, however, very much in the camp of “prove it”…

in my experience people I know who believe the NFL is rigged believe most other aspects of life are “rigged” as well….

I hate to break it to you, but most other aspects of life are rigged.

How can you not notice it?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
There are penalties committed during just about every play. Can’t call them all or the game would be unwatchable. Also, refs are human and humans make mistakes. There’s no collusion going on. That’s just ignorant.
What collusion??? Who's talking about collusion? First it's conspiracy. Now it's collusion. Hey, how about simple favoritism? Or maybe even personal bias? Don't give me this bull about how there isn't anything going on. Anyone worth any salt as an adult can see there is definite bias or favoritism going on, especially for certain teams.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What collusion??? Who's talking about collusion? First it's conspiracy. Now it's collusion. Hey, how about simple favoritism? Or maybe even personal bias? Don't give me this bull about how there isn't anything going on. Anyone worth any salt as an adult can see there is definite bias or favoritism going on, especially for certain teams.
Favoritism by who? And what are they doing exactly?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all, and in fact, I'm quite logical. With that said, I've been more open-minded the last few years that the NFL could be....I hate to use the term rigged.......but possibly influenced to tilt games.

It's the timing of the calls/non-calls for me. It was a P.I. 5 plays ago, but suddenly now it's not....kind of thing. I get that humans can error, but sometimes these calls/non-calls are so blatant or well timed (during a big drive) that it makes you wonder.

Now, I don't think the entire thing is rigged. Seems like an awfully giant wheel to keep from squeaking, if you know what I mean. Plus, with the Boys being the most valuable franchise in the entire universe, you'd think the ole' Jones boys could buy themselves a ring or two. Lol

However, where there is big money, there is usually a little corruption. No doubt there are some shady characters involved somewhere.
Yes, and there is corruption when it comes to the NFL which is more revolving around how they do business with controlling , manipulating and bullying Network TV, their sponsors , players and even local officials and taxpayers.

The NFL doesn’t need to influence the outcomes of the game to maintain their multi billion dollar industry. It’s the only league where all teams make money regardless if they win or not.

Poor and inconsistency in officiating is simply a human element . Shoot, we can all watch the same replay over and over again and not all come to the same conclusion on every play.

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be rigged...more like influenced. As many have mentioned, a foul can be called on any play...crucial plays have bigger impacts. Does that prevent a team for overcoming it? No, but it probably keeps scores closer for gambling and makes games more entertaining for both sides. Are they effectively trying to dictate who wins or loses...no. are they trying to make them more profitable...most definitely.

Fans think the ultimate goal is the SB...owners, Players think the ultimate goal is to maximize revenue (with a SB being icing on the cake)...at the end of the day, it's a business.

Gambling is the biggest driver in this, why else does the injury report matter.

I agree with this and have been saying it for years, long before the legalized gambling and onslaught of gambling site commercials. I looked at the amount of money being bet each year on sports and it is astounding and it was likely understated. With all that money you'd have to be naive to believe there wasn't the POSSIBILITY or Likelihood that point spreads were not being affected from time to time. Not saying all the time, but in certain games.

I played golf recently with some college age kids and they were constantly checking their phones and talking about the bets they had in play. Granted young athletes are being warned of getting involved, but I believe it will soon corrupt the game the way it is so widely used and in your face.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can see a few refs getting together after seeing Jerry's Halloween costume and saying, let's show him just how well we can see. :)
This is exactly why social media has become such junk.

Cause anybody with a keyboard can throw totally unaccounted and unsubstantiated BS out there without any real evidence other than their own slighted opinion .

Like there’s never any poor officiating which goes the Cowboys way .

Flamma

Reaction score
This is exactly why social media has become such junk.

Cause anybody with a keyboard can throw totally unaccounted and unsubstantiated BS out there without any real evidence other than their own slighted opinion .

Like there’s never any poor officiating which goes the Cowboys way .

Of course. You should see how the Giants fans are screaming about the penalties. There's no way for anyone to really know.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to break it to you, but most other aspects of life are rigged.

How can you not notice it?
Lol not one of those types of people. Everyone always ripping u off and cheating you out of things …

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course. You should see how the Giants fans are screaming about the penalties. There's no way for anyone to really know.
It’s basically sour grapes from fans after a loss.

Not many complaining after a win,

NotForLong

Reaction score
I’d like to see the link. I’m certainly not aware of any criminal investigation.

With billions of dollars on the line in gambling alone which is legal in most states now Congressional oversight committee would get involved if they felt there was officiating intent on throwing games regardless if the NFL is an entertainment entity.

The NFL antitrust status could be compromised allowing the monopoly they have on network television and tax exempt status .
You can not sue them and there will be no investigation because the NFL is entertainment like a Soap Opera or Sit Com . . . Scripted

No law suits no investigations . . . They gave full disclosure . . . Entertainment . . . Movie Magic

Baseball on the other hand is a Sport . . . Can not cheat

NotForLong

Reaction score
I in no way believe the NFL is rigged. It makes billions of dollars. Refs make mistakes. The only thing that can destroy this empire would be to have it rigged. If it was, it would eventually become public and bring the league down to its knees. Go Cowboys!
Its not about what the NFL makes in revenue . . . The whole Show was creates to take Bets . . . all the founding Fathers are connected to Mafia

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You can not sue them and there will be no investigation because the NFL is entertainment like a Soap Opera or Sit Com . . . Scripted

No law suits no investigations . . . They gave full disclosure . . . Entertainment . . . Movie Magic

Baseball on the other hand is a Sport . . . Can not cheat
Who said anything about suing the league? If there was an intent of organized collusion or even individual fraudulent intent there would be an investigation by the league and or other potential oversight bodies.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Who said anything about suing the league? If there was an intent of organized collusion or even individual fraudulent intent there would be an investigation by the league and or other potential oversight bodies.
Stop talking like you are an ESQUIRE .. . . I broke it down using that analogy so you would be able to comprehend it.

All those big words you are using are confusing your judgement . . . Entertainment is the only word you need to focus on.

Is there n oversight committee for The Days of our lives or General Hospital

plymkr

Reaction score
There’s really no doubt that the NFL, the networks, and the advertisers prefer close competitive games. That cannot be debated. The question is how far will they go to get what they want. I’m not saying they blatantly call the games in a manner to make them close, but it doesn’t have to be blatant, does it?
It raised my eyebrows when we got 3 or 4 penalties against us on the final Giants drive to score a TD to cover the spread. Kinda weird. There's no mathematical way they could tie or win so let them play and end the game faster.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment of this note. I’ve been hearing variations of this NFL conspiracy theories for the 40 years I have been watching the NFL and have never seen any evidence of this kind of top level conspiracy to manipulate games, outcomes, etc.

I’m not so close minded to think it’s impossible, however, very much in the camp of “prove it”…

in my experience people I know who believe the NFL is rigged believe most other aspects of life are “rigged” as well….
What makes you think you would see any evidence?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Intended or not, you can see how referees can -and do- affect the outcome of ball games and can control point spreads, who wins and loses, even how long it takes for the winning team to score the winning score.
I've always said that it's naive to think that billionaires would leave their fortunes to chance.

The NFL makes billions no matter who wins, simply from the TV contracts. They don't have to manipulate anything because their fortunes are not left to chance.

"You can see" whatever you are predisposed to see, while ignoring the facts of my first two sentences. That's what frustrated fans do, they look for scapegoats.