CFZ Just be aware of the business end of the NFL

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep the politics out of this discussion before some benchings are handed out.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
To quote the movie The Big Short

"Its all a lie from the top down"

And that movie proves why NFL would not crumble if it was found out about crooked behavior...because people are still investing in the stock market and big investment houses are still being shady...just like the NFL would continue to do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Trillion dollar industry cant afford more refs? Seems suspicious...almost like they want to keep the party small and to use subjectivity as an excuse.
How many refs do you want on the field? Football like other sports isn’t meant to be perfect.

It doesn’t matter how many we have . Shoot, we can all look at the same play and interpret it differently. Officials are no different . Human element is still in play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To quote the movie The Big Short

"Its all a lie from the top down"

And that movie proves why NFL would not crumble if it was found out about crooked behavior...because people are still investing in the stock market and big investment houses are still being shady...just like the NFL would continue to do.
But if they are proven shady then it depletes their business and we invest elsewhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We didn’t have any conspiracy theories when we were winning championships .

So, I guess officials loved us for most of our franchises existence . They didn’t start conspiring against us until we begun suking. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only Conspiracy working against the Cowboys is our own Jethro Jone$. He’s the biggest handicap, hindrance and obstacle to overcome . Like a big frikin jinx.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
We didn’t have any conspiracy theories when we were winning championships .

So, I guess officials loved us for most of our franchises existence . They didn’t start conspiring against us until we begun suking. Lol

Conspiracy theory or not, there was a shift in the NFL once the salary cap and free agency hit. Since then, the Cowboys have been irrelevant with the exception of historical collapses and controversial calls.

Findanny

Reaction score
I in no way believe the NFL is rigged. It makes billions of dollars. Refs make mistakes. The only thing that can destroy this empire would be to have it rigged. If it was, it would eventually become public and bring the league down to its knees. Go Cowboys!

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
If someone can't see the refs trying to tilt games, there's not much to say. When have you ever seen the refs 'review a play' AFTER we take a timeout and then nail the field goal and make us kick the field goal again?

(6) PATRIOTS WALK-OFF PUNT RETURN TOUCHDOWN! - YouTube

This push in the back is so obvious it's almost impossible to miss as was the CeeDee pass interference. Expecting the players to 'play through' this is nonsense.

These two are good no-calls. The first one looks like the initial contact came from the side. The second one, the Patriots player was running STRAIGHT down the field and the Jets defender (34) ran right into him. That's not a block in the back, IMO. I'm no referee but these two are good no-calls. Unless you're talking about another one?

316522864_561807965954032_1383710986195058272_n.jpg

316721764_465382469058918_119170206155863_n.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Conspiracy theory or not, there was a shift in the NFL once the salary cap and free agency hit. Since then, the Cowboys have been irrelevant with the exception of historical collapses and controversial calls.
You forgot one other huge contributing factor since the Cap is our owner decided he wanted to be a football guy to prove it wasn’t all Jimmy. No other greater obstacle we have.

Jipper

Reaction score
I in no way believe the NFL is rigged. It makes billions of dollars. Refs make mistakes. The only thing that can destroy this empire would be to have it rigged. If it was, it would eventually become public and bring the league down to its knees. Go Cowboys!

I totally agree- and they should have full time refs that are paid very well versus this part time stuff that leads to inconsistent calls

Findanny

Reaction score
I totally agree- and they should have full time refs that are paid very well versus this part time stuff that leads to inconsistent calls
Yes. I think full time refs would lead to more consistent calls. There has been chatter over the years of making this happen, but oddly enough, it’s never come to fruition.

Jipper

Reaction score
Yes. I think full time refs would lead to more consistent calls. There has been chatter over the years of making this happen, but oddly enough, it’s never come to fruition.

I was talking to a guy that is friends with a ref....he actually got pushed by a very high profile player that most would recognize.

He told me that a big part they don't go for full time is these guys love having the glamor of being in the games but get to have careers and they don't want to give that element up.

Makes sense to a point but if they paid refs 750k a year and gave them 10 year contracts I'm sure you might get a different setup

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all, and in fact, I'm quite logical. With that said, I've been more open-minded the last few years that the NFL could be....I hate to use the term rigged.......but possibly influenced to tilt games.

It's the timing of the calls/non-calls for me. It was a P.I. 5 plays ago, but suddenly now it's not....kind of thing. I get that humans can error, but sometimes these calls/non-calls are so blatant or well timed (during a big drive) that it makes you wonder.

Now, I don't think the entire thing is rigged. Seems like an awfully giant wheel to keep from squeaking, if you know what I mean. Plus, with the Boys being the most valuable franchise in the entire universe, you'd think the ole' Jones boys could buy themselves a ring or two. Lol

However, where there is big money, there is usually a little corruption. No doubt there are some shady characters involved somewhere.

JustChip

Reaction score
I don’t buy into conspiracy if for no other reason than Congress hasn’t gotten into it. I guarantee if there was something there some congressman/woman would be looking to advance themselves investigating.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all, and in fact, I'm quite logical. With that said, I've been more open-minded the last few years that the NFL could be....I hate to use the term rigged.......but possibly influenced to tilt games.

It's the timing of the calls/non-calls for me. It was a P.I. 5 plays ago, but suddenly now it's not....kind of thing. I get that humans can error, but sometimes these calls/non-calls are so blatant or well timed (during a big drive) that it makes you wonder.

Now, I don't think the entire thing is rigged. Seems like an awfully giant wheel to keep from squeaking, if you know what I mean. Plus, with the Boys being the most valuable franchise in the entire universe, you'd think the ole' Jones boys could buy themselves a ring or two. Lol

However, where there is big money, there is usually a little corruption. No doubt there are some shady characters involved somewhere.

Here's the thing that blows a hole in the "games not rigged" stance...everyone has complained about the officiating for years and years...and it NEVER gets better. Ever. Its pretty blatant year in and year out with it oddly, ODDLY I say, never getting better. The same issues every single year in every single major sport. They cant evolve at all? Odd. Why would something not want to evolve...especially when governing a sport people work hard to win within the rules? Because someone/something wants to control outcome of games. Its simple.

Flamma

Reaction score
I’d like to see the link. I’m certainly not aware of any criminal investigation.

With billions of dollars on the line in gambling alone which is legal in most states now Congressional oversight committee would get involved if they felt there was officiating intent on throwing games regardless if the NFL is an entertainment entity.

The NFL antitrust status could be compromised allowing the monopoly they have on network television and tax exempt status .

Just so you know, I do not think there is some conspiracy by the league to fix games. That doesn't mean a ref or player wouldn't take money for a call or a fumble the first time they touch the ball.

That said, it is not illegal to fix NFL games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just so you know, I do not think there is some conspiracy by the league to fix games. That doesn't mean a ref or player wouldn't take money for a call or a fumble the first time they touch the ball.

That said, it is not illegal to fix NFL games.
Yea, there’s always a possibility a ref or player could take money to fix a game .

I’m sure the league could prosecute for fraudulent activity in relation especially if the payoff came from organized crime affiliated contacts. If nothing else IRS could prosecute for tax invasion on winnings.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here's the thing that blows a hole in the "games not rigged" stance...everyone has complained about the officiating for years and years...and it NEVER gets better. Ever. It’s pretty blatant year in and year out with it oddly, ODDLY I say, never getting better. The same issues every single year in every single major sport. They cant evolve at all? Odd. Why would something not want to evolve...especially when governing a sport people work hard to win within the rules? Because someone/something wants to control outcome of games. It’s simple.
You can’t fix the human element. The games were never meant to be perfect. Anymore than calling balls and strikes in baseball.

And there really isn’t a problem. Just a few sour grapes after losing,

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ah yes…”The NFL hates the Cowboys and wants them to lose by using bad refs” conspiracy…from a league that can’t accurately define a catch or coordinate the removal of Dan Snyder. But I’m sure they can pull off having dozens of referees all work in prefect harmony together to screw the Cowboys…and then never leak a word of it.

SMH.
Still can’t believe how naïve people are. Well, maybe I can the older I get