CFZ Just because you have a young coach doesn't mean he will be Sean McVay

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not to mention two other big problems Jerry creates:
1. He doesn’t hire HCs with a ton of talent or command of the locker room. Because those kinds of HCs make him uncomfortable and threaten his compulsion to be the center of all things Cowboys.
2. He undermines his HCs with his constant public comments about anything he chooses at any moment. He and his son have two radio shows every week and they even contradict each other. This constant public talk undermines his HCs ability to be in charge of the locker room and leaves a door open constantly for the media to ask if he “has confidence in his HC”.​

I think part 2 is more applicable to Mike than part 1. Mike has a lot of experience. He guided the Packers in Favre's last year with the team to the NFCC. He guided the Packers to a SB win and several more NFCC with Rodgers. He's got the respect of the Cowboys locker room. However, Jerry seems to be taking his anger for having to sack Garrett out on Mike in unfair ways including the snipes at wanting Payton who is no different than McCarthy. If anything, Mike is the better coach because he had two QBs in the NFCC and had to deal with massive egos from them, particularly the latter. Sean had to deal with Drew Brees who doesn't exactly have the ego Rodgers has. I think I'd rather a coach who was successful with dealing with massive egos over a coach who's ego meant that he probably can't handle ego QBs. I'd imagine that Dak is so much easier for Mike to coach because he doesn't have near the ego Rodgers has.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think something that Jerry has missed out on is this. Just because you have a young coach doesn't mean he will magically become Sean McVay. We have had two coaches that the FO has propped up as the next young geniuses. Those two being Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore.

In the case of Jason Garrett, I used to receive magazines late in the offseason as training camp was going to start. In a magazine I received in 2007, it mentioned of course about Wade Phillips being the next HC. Concerningly, it also talked about how Jason Garrett, the new OC who I hadn't heard of at the time, was due to become a HC at some point if Wade doesn't succeed. I found this concerning because he hadn't had enough time to develop into a HC, yet, he was already being propped up as the next HC. Turned out, 3 years later, the magazine was correct. Sure enough, Garrett didn't do well and failed miserably with the Giants after leaving us. The problem in my view? He hadn't been given enough time to acclimate to what it really takes to be a HC as a coordinator. He should have been working his way through the ranks, but it was obvious that Jerry wanted him as a HC. However, his mentors were Wade Phillips and Nick Saban. One of which was a defencive-minded HC, and the other couldn't cut it at the NFL level. It might have served Garrett better to learn a few more years under a different proper coach. Think Jerry has learned his lesson? Think again....

Now we come to Kellen Moore. He was, at one point, slated to be the 2nd string QB behind Romo until he broke his leg. So, into coaching he went. At first as the QB coach under Linehan and Garrett. He seemed to be propped up as this genius coaching mind. He quickly rises the rank to OC, and then stays that way with Mike. However, he's shown a few potential weaknesses in terms of long-term team adjustments to injuries, similar to something that Garrett struggled with. I think Mike, a better coach than Garrett, obviously, should be stepping in every now and then when Moore hits inexperience walls.

The morale of this story is that Jason Garrett was not a Sean McVay-type coach, nor is Moore. I think Jerry is rushing Moore through too quickly like he did Garrett. The nice thing about our FO set up is that it could allow for more patience to develop a coach at a coordinator spot as the GM can't be fired here. So, I think it'd be wise for Moore to take his time and learn how to make long-term adjustments as well as in-game adjustments (which he's better at than Garrett) before any talk of him being an NFL-HC arises.
Just because you dress up in a horse costume doesn't mean that you're a horse...:laugh:...just bustin your chops...or is it yanking your reins...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think something that Jerry has missed out on is this. Just because you have a young coach doesn't mean he will magically become Sean McVay. We have had two coaches that the FO has propped up as the next young geniuses. Those two being Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore.

In the case of Jason Garrett, I used to receive magazines late in the offseason as training camp was going to start. In a magazine I received in 2007, it mentioned of course about Wade Phillips being the next HC. Concerningly, it also talked about how Jason Garrett, the new OC who I hadn't heard of at the time, was due to become a HC at some point if Wade doesn't succeed. I found this concerning because he hadn't had enough time to develop into a HC, yet, he was already being propped up as the next HC. Turned out, 3 years later, the magazine was correct. Sure enough, Garrett didn't do well and failed miserably with the Giants after leaving us. The problem in my view? He hadn't been given enough time to acclimate to what it really takes to be a HC as a coordinator. He should have been working his way through the ranks, but it was obvious that Jerry wanted him as a HC. However, his mentors were Wade Phillips and Nick Saban. One of which was a defencive-minded HC, and the other couldn't cut it at the NFL level. It might have served Garrett better to learn a few more years under a different proper coach. Think Jerry has learned his lesson? Think again....

Now we come to Kellen Moore. He was, at one point, slated to be the 2nd string QB behind Romo until he broke his leg. So, into coaching he went. At first as the QB coach under Linehan and Garrett. He seemed to be propped up as this genius coaching mind. He quickly rises the rank to OC, and then stays that way with Mike. However, he's shown a few potential weaknesses in terms of long-term team adjustments to injuries, similar to something that Garrett struggled with. I think Mike, a better coach than Garrett, obviously, should be stepping in every now and then when Moore hits inexperience walls.

The morale of this story is that Jason Garrett was not a Sean McVay-type coach, nor is Moore. I think Jerry is rushing Moore through too quickly like he did Garrett. The nice thing about our FO set up is that it could allow for more patience to develop a coach at a coordinator spot as the GM can't be fired here. So, I think it'd be wise for Moore to take his time and learn how to make long-term adjustments as well as in-game adjustments (which he's better at than Garrett) before any talk of him being an NFL-HC arises.
I wonder what having these young whiz kid HC's in waiting does for the Current HC's ?
You would think it would undermine their respect and authority.
Our HC's already have Jerry lurking around acting like he has the ultimate control.

JBS

Reaction score
We had Sean Mcvay before Sean Mcvay was Sean Mcvay. His name is Sean Payton. The reason why Jerry refuses to let go of these doofuses is bc he is afraid of letting go of the next Sean Payton.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Moore was highly regarded as a brilliant football mind...that was never true with Garrett except in Jerry's eyes.

Moore had multiple interviews for HC positions this off-season. Garrett would never have been an NFL HC if not for Jerry.

Moore is more highly regarded by other coaches and teams than Garrett ever was.

The Cowboys were the top ranked offense in 2021.

They were leading the league in yards in 2020 at the point Dak got injured. They were 300 yards ahead of the 2nd place team in that stat.

75boyz

Reaction score
But I thought Quinthy was Jerry's Vick, Jason was Jerry's Landry and Kellen is Jerry's McVay.

Surely the Cowboys GM can't be wrong on all 3 could he?