Just because you paid him does not make him worth it

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It sounds easy on paper - just draft another QB. Get one in round one, a sure thing...only it's not. About half of them are busts.

I remember the trade up into round two for Quincy Carter, the failed attempt to trade up into round one for Paxton Lynch, and Jerry being angry when the rest of the room said "no" to Johnny Football. And yet, even if the Cowboys win the SB this year (I doubt that happens, for several reasons) you still want to draft a QB and move on?

That's basically admitting nothing Dak might possibly do would ever be good enough for you. Fair enough.

Its not that easy and nobody says it is.

But QB is the most important position with the highest amount of cap bound to it. You dont run a successful team/franchise if you bind your faith to that. You try to be independent - especially on positions that are more important than others.

I know it was a running joke here but Garrett is right when he says "its a process". How you run a team/franchise is a philosophy. And you dont stop with your philosophy when you are successful with it. That would be stupid, wouldnt it ? So why stop drafting a new QB when you won a SB with the actual one ? Thats just prove your philosophy works. And you dont run this team for 1 SB or 1 year. You run it to have success for decades or as long as you are the GM/HC of this franchise.

So you of course draft QBs. And not one and then stop because you werent successfull. The draft is nothing certain. Expecting to be successful is the first mistake you can do (with JJ its an ego problem, we all know). The QB position is important, so draft and draft and draft. Spend every year at least one pick at the position. It doesnt need to be a high round pick every year. But draft one every year.

Why would there be college football and a draft if bringing up new talent wouldnt be so important ?

Draft QBs. Every year! Get rid of your starter if you found a better one. Be polite but get rid of him. The position is too important and too expensive to sit here in the end and have to spend big bugs on someone you knew from the start wasnt the answer.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Bro, you gave me all the proof I needed with that first stat mashup you sent me. But for this latest installment, let's go back to my original post that you chose to take upon yourself to get messily involved with:
What you've now provided me are 40+ yard completions total, NOT "in the air" as I stated. So if Dak threw a 2-yard screen to Cooper and he took it to the house 38 more yards, it counts on this new "stat" of yours. Not only that but this is a single year, not career and the article quotes the fact that Dak has that knock against him in the first place for 3 years running to that point. It still exists, bro, which was my point, lol.
So youve done no research or brought any validation to your claims just spouting trash into the wind. Dak is a great ball thrower. Prove me wrong

morat1959

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Dak getting paid. It is what it is. But just because you paid him...that does not mean his performance equates to his paycheck. Jerry should KNOW this. Just because Dallas is the most highly valued franchise in all of sports...that does not mean the product on the field is the cream of the crop. Jerry is reluctant to pay people because he is not sure their performance will equal their paycheck...but he has no problem stuffing his pockets with all the money he can, all the while the performance of his team does not reflect the franchise value.

Dak is who he is. His ceiling is Russell Wilson. BUT. BUT. You have to have the right pieces around him. Coaching, the Legion of Boom, the running game and defense allowed Russell Wilson to be the best version of himself and he maximized his potential and had a couple of Super Bowl runs. Why would we take the #1 offense in the NFL last year....and downgrade the WRs corps by a lot? The Oline is downgraded. The RB position is downgraded (Zeke is who he is at this point...and you don't get better as you age). Mike McCarthy is no Pete Carrol. And AT&T stadium is not the homefield advantage that Seattle had.

We have seen Dak without WRs before. It was not pretty. We are trying something that has already failed. Teams are going to load the box and force Dak to beat them with Lamb and (3rd round rookie, USFL star, undrafted rookie etc...). We will try to run into a loaded box. Get into predictable 3rd and longs when the run is stuffed. And be under a lot of pressure to convert unfavorable down and distances multiple times per drive. Oh, I forgot to mix in a penalty from the OL. Like I said, we have seen this before, it is not rocket science. Oh, I almost forgot, we will probably put up enough yards to appear.....

I cannot take this team seriously. I knew not to take them seriously when I witnessed the comedy club act at McCarthys signing. Then he immediately went to work proving to be the clown we now know he is. The one thing Jerry had done over the Garrett years and now McCarthy... is keep enough talent on the field to give off the appearance of a title team in SPITE of the coaching. But the one thing you HAVE to have when your talent on the field is AVERAGE....is good coaching. And going into this season, I seriously question the talent on the field. And we now know it was not McCarthy in Green Bay, it was Rodgers. And I don't care what stats Dak has/will put up...he ain't Rodgers.
I don't have a problem with Dak getting paid. It is what it is. But just because you paid him...that does not mean his performance equates to his paycheck. Jerry should KNOW this. Just because Dallas is the most highly valued franchise in all of sports...that does not mean the product on the field is the cream of the crop. Jerry is reluctant to pay people because he is not sure their performance will equal their paycheck...but he has no problem stuffing his pockets with all the money he can, all the while the performance of his team does not reflect the franchise value.

Dak is who he is. His ceiling is Russell Wilson. BUT. BUT. You have to have the right pieces around him. Coaching, the Legion of Boom, the running game and defense allowed Russell Wilson to be the best version of himself and he maximized his potential and had a couple of Super Bowl runs. Why would we take the #1 offense in the NFL last year....and downgrade the WRs corps by a lot? The Oline is downgraded. The RB position is downgraded (Zeke is who he is at this point...and you don't get better as you age). Mike McCarthy is no Pete Carrol. And AT&T stadium is not the homefield advantage that Seattle had.

We have seen Dak without WRs before. It was not pretty. We are trying something that has already failed. Teams are going to load the box and force Dak to beat them with Lamb and (3rd round rookie, USFL star, undrafted rookie etc...). We will try to run into a loaded box. Get into predictable 3rd and longs when the run is stuffed. And be under a lot of pressure to convert unfavorable down and distances multiple times per drive. Oh, I forgot to mix in a penalty from the OL. Like I said, we have seen this before, it is not rocket science. Oh, I almost forgot, we will probably put up enough yards to appear.....

I cannot take this team seriously. I knew not to take them seriously when I witnessed the comedy club act at McCarthys signing. Then he immediately went to work proving to be the clown we now know he is. The one thing Jerry had done over the Garrett years and now McCarthy... is keep enough talent on the field to give off the appearance of a title team in SPITE of the coaching. But the one thing you HAVE to have when your talent on the field is AVERAGE....is good coaching. And going into this season, I seriously question the talent on the field. And we now know it was not McCarthy in Green Bay, it was Rodgers. And I don't care what stats Dak has/will put up...he ain't Rodgers.
Agree with 99% of what you’re saying. I just don’t think Dak can sniff Wilson’s jock.

morat1959

Reaction score
Its not that easy and nobody says it is.

But QB is the most important position with the highest amount of cap bound to it. You dont run a successful team/franchise if you bind your faith to that. You try to be independent - especially on positions that are more important than others.

I know it was a running joke here but Garrett is right when he says "its a process". How you run a team/franchise is a philosophy. And you dont stop with your philosophy when you are successful with it. That would be stupid, wouldnt it ? So why stop drafting a new QB when you won a SB with the actual one ? Thats just prove your philosophy works. And you dont run this team for 1 SB or 1 year. You run it to have success for decades or as long as you are the GM/HC of this franchise.

So you of course draft QBs. And not one and then stop because you werent successfull. The draft is nothing certain. Expecting to be successful is the first mistake you can do (with JJ its an ego problem, we all know). The QB position is important, so draft and draft and draft. Spend every year at least one pick at the position. It doesnt need to be a high round pick every year. But draft one every year.

Why would there be college football and a draft if bringing up new talent wouldnt be so important ?

Draft QBs. Every year! Get rid of your starter if you found a better one. Be polite but get rid of him. The position is too important and too expensive to sit here in the end and have to spend big bugs on someone you knew from the start wasnt the answer.
Well said.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Dak is a great ball thrower. Prove me wrong

giphy.gif

Ken

Reaction score
I like my plan of trying to actually get better much more than what I assume is your plan of just keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

But hey, to each their own, right?
I like what the Cowboys are doing to build a team. Sure, maybe i would want a big splash in FA but I can't argue with how they perform in the draft and how they are building this team. Everyone cried about Tyler Smith, the guy looks like an absolute stud to me at LG. He alone will resurrect our running game, IMO. EVERYONE cried about Amari Cooper, he isn't practicing with an ankle. Everyone cried about Collins...not practicing. Everyone cried about Gregory....not practicing. Stop me if you heard this before.

Meanwhile, the first 4 picks in this draft look like they are going to be good to great players.

The offense hasn't been the problem for this team. I am not sure what games you have been watching. When we get beat, it is because we get ground up on defense.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like what the Cowboys are doing to build a team. Sure, maybe i would want a big splash in FA but I can't argue with how they perform in the draft and how they are building this team. Everyone cried about Tyler Smith, the guy looks like an absolute stud to me at LG. He alone will resurrect our running game, IMO. EVERYONE cried about Amari Cooper, he isn't practicing with an ankle. Everyone cried about Collins...not practicing. Everyone cried about Gregory....not practicing. Stop me if you heard this before.

Meanwhile, the first 4 picks in this draft look like they are going to be good to great players.

The offense hasn't been the problem for this team. I am not sure what games you have been watching. When we get beat, it is because we get ground up on defense.

:muttley:

JayFord

Reaction score
Dak is a QB that gives you a chance to win every game he plays

he's going to command money...any QB that can win the games he wins is going to make big money

and Stafford before coming to LA couldnt beat teams over .500 at all and he got big money because its a team game and often times the qb isnt the reason the team cant beat better teams

MarcusRock

Reaction score
So youve done no research or brought any validation to your claims just spouting trash into the wind. Dak is a great ball thrower. Prove me wrong

I'm not saying he's not, but that's not how this works. I made a clear statement and claim. The 2nd guy along is the one that gets to bring the counter-evidence to dispute validity if they disagree. You tried, but .... yeah. If you want to throw out a conspiracy claim, I can go hunting for stuff against that. Lol.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's not, but that's not how this works. I made a clear statement and claim. The 2nd guy along is the one that gets to bring the counter-evidence to dispute validity if they disagree. You tried, but .... yeah. If you want to throw out a conspiracy claim, I can go hunting for stuff against that. Lol.
Ive thrown out numerous stats and articles and you keep saying the same trash with no validity other than begging ppl to believe you. You argue like a female with zero accountability.

Nexx

Reaction score
Dak has been one of the best and most accurate deep ball passers in recent years. Seriously don't know what you are talking about.

I have to agree. Dak's main problem imho is his inaccuracy and decision making on critical downs and in the red zone. He is tad slow in his progressions which leads to drive killing sacks. If he can improve on those things, he can be an good to great QB. But as is, he is just an above average QB

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Ive thrown out numerous stats and articles and you keep saying the same trash with no validity other than begging ppl to believe you. You argue like a female with zero accountability.

You threw out stuff that had NOTHING to do with what I stated. Your first effort actually bolstered my claims. Sometimes in a debate, it's far more entertaining to watch the opponent walk off his own cliff with Acme parachute in hand. Lol.