Just Finished Jimmy Johnson's Book - A few interesting facts

rags747

Reaction score
We were ultimately undone by Switzer coaching and drafting. Landy ultimately undid his own dynasty by being inflexible and taking over the draft. Look at how horrid the team became as a result a few years after Roger. The 90's team had the talent to do 5 but with Jimmy still around and drafting we likely win out the decade and he retires to TV with no Dolphins career and who knows who he recommends for his successor. Perhaps the BB era would have happened here instead of NE. Sometimes in life your best or only chance is your first one. Jerry was so selfish and foolish to think that kind of luck would always be there. When you own a business, you know you will reap rewards but your biggest concern is just don't let me get in the way of this being successful. Too many things ride on you not screwing up for not only yourself but everyone around you. We all have had to coexist with people at different jobs we didn't like but it made other things possible. Just because you are rich doesn't free you of that nor should it. You can tell that Jerry loves his yes men and what does that bring you.
A very one sided viewpoint.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
We bash Jerry for allowing the relationship to go south and not swallowing his pride to try and keep the train rolling.

We have to give him credit for hiring a man who "marched to the beat of his own drummer" in the first place, though. He surely knew he would be tasting his own pride when bringing in such a self-confident, free thinker. We're lucky the relationship lasted as long as it did.

I lay the blame of the breakup 50/50 at both of their feet. Yeah, Jerry pulled the trigger but Jimmy provoked the heck out of him. It was just all so unnecessary.

And yeah, they would have won FOUR, not THREE, straight. That 1996 team was still awful good minus the dumb picks that Jerry made in that draft. They only had to beat the Panthers then the Packers, who they always owned. In fact, they probably still beat the Panthers if Irvin doesn’t get hurt.

luckyman76

Reaction score
A very one sided viewpoint.

No, sometimes you just have to be objective and accept the truth. I love the Cowboys and I have a bias towards them so when I see something wrong I won't sugarcoat it. Jerry has been a great businessman and deserves to be in the HOF for what he has done for the NFL. Even if wrong at times Jerry loves the Cowboys and will do anything to win. Both sides are the truth. I loved Tom Landry, father of the Cowboys. Original owner was my dad's godfather. I have loved the Cowboys through all of it good and bad.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
. . . Even the Super Bowl coached by Switzer was All Jimmy's players. Notice there have been none since.
The following 1995 Cowboys were not drafted or signed originally by Jimmy Johnson:

Landry Cowboys: Bill Bates, Chad Hennings, Michael Irvin, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei

Cowboys drafted or signed after Jimmy left: Larry Allen, Ray Donaldson, Deion Sanders

I'm sure there are others, but the 1995 rookies and second-year guys were mostly forgettable except for Larry Allen.

I'll grant you the majority of the 1995 roster and especially the starters were Jimmy's guys but not all of them were.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
Yes. And there is no way in heck that jimmys cowboys go in and go down 21 pts to 49ers in that nfc title game.
Jimmy's boys get the credit for winning Super Bowl 30 (w/o Jimmy) but they don't get the blame for losing the 1994 NFCCG (w/o Jimmy)?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
If you've never been to San Antonio, the fajitas at On the Border are pretty good. But San Antonio fajitas are better.

Never been, I know the ones here in OKC are just very generic run of the mill Mexican food.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I lay the blame of the breakup 50/50 at both of their feet. Yeah, Jerry pulled the trigger but Jimmy provoked the heck out of him. It was just all so unnecessary.

And yeah, they would have won FOUR, not THREE, straight. That 1996 team was still awful good minus the dumb picks that Jerry made in that draft. They only had to beat the Panthers then the Packers, who they always owned. In fact, they probably still beat the Panthers if Irvin doesn’t get hurt.

They had a good working relationship until Jerry started getting into the player personnel side. Had Jerry been like any other owner in the NFL and just let his coach run the team, there is no reason to think Jimmy wouldn't have 6 rings right now. About the only thing you can fault Jimmy for is not being more tolerant of Jerry's laughable attempt to re-make himself into a respected "football man". Being a respected owner was never enough for Jerry. He wanted to walk into a room of coaches and feel like he belonged. He just never did.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy's boys get the credit for winning Super Bowl 30 (w/o Jimmy) but they don't get the blame for losing the 1994 NFCCG (w/o Jimmy)?

Blame for losing to the Niner dynasty in the NFCCG ? lol

That alone would have been the pinnacle of success the past 25 years. Garret would have gotten a lifetime contract if he had been able to lead the team to such heights. So, yeah, we'll "blame" Jimmy for that one. :facepalm:

Reactions: BAT

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The following 1995 Cowboys were not drafted or signed originally by Jimmy Johnson:

Landry Cowboys: Bill Bates, Chad Hennings, Michael Irvin, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei

Cowboys drafted or signed after Jimmy left: Larry Allen, Ray Donaldson, Deion Sanders

I'm sure there are others, but the 1995 rookies and second-year guys were mostly forgettable except for Larry Allen.

I'll grant you the majority of the 1995 roster and especially the starters were Jimmy's guys but not all of them were.

You need to just stop or find a new team. Jimmy accomplishments have been recognized by the NFL HOF. The debate over his greatness is absurd at this point. He's a HOFer. Get over it.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
You need to just stop or find a new team. Jimmy accomplishments have been recognized by the NFL HOF. The debate over his greatness is absurd at this point. He's a HOFer. Get over it.
It's also worth noting that most of those Landry Cowboys that Jimmy coached in Dallas never did much of anything at the professional level until he brought a staff and a system to get the best out of them.

Besides Irvin, all of those guys were UDFAs pretty much and Hennings was like an 11th round pick. All of those guys became major contributors, and were not earth shattering freak talents. That's damned good coaching.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jerry made a mistake firing Jimmy.

he should not have fired Chan also.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's also worth noting that most of those Landry Cowboys that Jimmy coached in Dallas never did much of anything at the professional level until he brought a staff and a system to get the best out of them.

Besides Irvin, all of those guys were UDFAs pretty much and Hennings was like an 11th round pick. All of those guys became major contributors, and were not earth shattering freak talents. That's damned good coaching.

Exactly. Nobody claimed Jimmy started with an expansion team. He had some pieces (not the least of which was Hershel Walker), but he put all those pieces together, reshaped the roster, and coached them into a dynasty.

I've never understood "fans" who troll cowboy legends. Jimmy Johnson's tenure in Dallas was an era of greatness, and there is no counterpoint. The HOF has spoken.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry made a mistake firing Jimmy.

he should not have fired Chan also.

He didn't fire Jimmy. He tried to take credit for Jimmy's work, take away Jimmy's final say over the roster, and was greedily jealous of the credit and praise Jimmy was getting in the media............ and oh yeah, paid him 1 million to resign and not talk about it.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
Blame for losing to the Niner dynasty in the NFCCG ? lol

That alone would have been the pinnacle of success the past 25 years. Garret would have gotten a lifetime contract if he had been able to lead the team to such heights. So, yeah, we'll "blame" Jimmy for that one. :facepalm:
Who said anything about blaming Jimmy? Set aside your agenda and re-read what I actually wrote, not what you think I wrote.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who said anything about blaming Jimmy? Set aside your agenda and re-read what I actually wrote, not what you think I wrote.

You obviously implied that if Jimmy is given credit for the super bowl in 95', he should also be blamed for the 94' MFCCG loss.

The only one with an agenda here is you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy gets credit for building the team that lost in 94 and won in 95.

The credit is given to building the team. Not actually losing or winning those championships after he left.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The guys Jimmy inherited from Landry certainly were part of the dynasty Jimmy built. But it sounds as though you’re attempting to narrate an argument against giving credit to Jimmy for building a championship team. What is your intent?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’m not sure how anyone could hold Jimmy equally responsible.