Just Finished Jimmy Johnson's Book - A few interesting facts

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The biggest reason for the decline was they Jimmy was no longer running the draft. Jimmy would have kept bringing in talent, just like the Packers, Broncos, Niners, Steelers and Pats.
As talented as Dallas was in the early 90s the run ended too quickly we all know it did. Those triplets had 3 more championship games and a couple of more SB wins. I could have seen Jimmy even lose a SB. He would have kept these guys hungry brought in competition. It’s the culture that went out the window all because Jerry wanted ultimate credit. One would have to be blind to not see. 25 years since we even made a championship game!!!!! The discussion ends with that sentence.

Jimmy would have drafted Randy Moss over Greg Ellis.

And imagine Jimmy's drafts on the Cowboys:

DE Jason Taylor
LB Zach Thomas
CB Patrick Surtain
CB Sam Madison

All Pro Bowlers with Taylor, and Thomas one day, in HOF.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Wonder how long the OP's thread would have been w/out the pandemic. :muttley:

dckid

Reaction score
The only guy in NFL history to win Coach Of The Year with a losing record.
to mean his 5 year run can be put against anyone. Soup to Nuts
Jimmy would have drafted Randy Moss over Greg Ellis.

And imagine Jimmy's drafts on the Cowboys:

DE Jason Taylor
LB Zach Thomas
CB Patrick Surtain
CB Sam Madison

All Pro Bowlers with Taylor, and Thomas one day, in HOF.
Thanks. Jimmy would have kept the train rolling and we would have been like the Pats or Landry’s Cowboys.

Reactions: BAT

dwmyers

Reaction score
Wow - I wrote a lot. Anyone else read this book?

Yes. Read it, quoted it for an add to the Wikipedia article on the Miami 4-3. I'll note he calls it a "stack", which suggests homage to Hank Stram and those KC 4-3 defenses.

The most interesting look up, for me, wrt Jimmy and his college days is almost any film of Oklahoma and Nebraska in the well known 1971 game.
The line coach is Jimmy and the defense they are playing is a 4-3. Pretty interesting given that the 3-4 was invented by Bud Wilkinson at that university.

Feel free to see for yourself. 26:54, 42:25 are clear 43 defenses.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The biggest reason for the decline was they Jimmy was no longer running the draft. Jimmy would have kept bringing in talent, just like the Packers, Broncos, Niners, Steelers and Pats.
As talented as Dallas was in the early 90s the run ended too quickly we all know it did. Those triplets had 3 more championship games and a couple of more SB wins. I could have seen Jimmy even lose a SB. He would have kept these guys hungry brought in competition. It’s the culture that went out the window all because Jerry wanted ultimate credit. One would have to be blind to not see. 25 years since we even made a championship game!!!!! The discussion ends with that sentence.
Exactly right.

Jerry thinking he could handle the draft and sustain things was an absolute joke. Some of the deals he did and players he picked are laughable.

BUT....and he has said this is an advantage to US....he is able to come back for more despite his failure.

In reality, all we really have is the hope they will win in spite of him, or he will stay out of they way enough for us to have a shot....

Even if he gets his way and wins, the quarter century of futility pretty much cements the idea that "his way" doesnt work, and he isnt a "football guy."

It's not enough to be Robert Kraft.

Well, that's you best shot Jerry. 25 years of being the Cleveland Browns already told us you cant be a GM, and you'll never be.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Agree on most of this except... they wouldn’t have lost to chargers and beat stealers following year... but I get your point.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Exactly right.

Jerry thinking he could handle the draft and sustain things was an absolute joke. Some of the deals he did and players he picked are laughable.

BUT....and he has said this is an advantage to US....he is able to come back for more despite his failure.

In reality, all we really have is the hope they will win in spite of him, or he will stay out of they way enough for us to have a shot....

Even if he gets his way and wins, the quarter century of futility pretty much cements the idea that "his way" doesnt work, and he isnt a "football guy."

Well, that's you best shot Jerry. 25 years of being the Cleveland Browns already told us you cant be a GM, and you'll never be.
great post wish we could send it to jerry
he has tried to do what jimmy did in three years for the last quarter century with no success
he cant do it.
his statement of five hundred coaches could win with this team has also been proved to not be true
jimmy was good at building a team and a defense which fans forget those sb teams had very good defenses and special teams
jimmy also was good at getting the most out of players he didnt baby them and made it so they wanted to please him by playing good on game day
if they won and played sloppy they didnt get a pat on the butt they got chewed out for playing so sloppy

i think MM is the best coaching hire by jones boys and they draft better now so they may get past the div round now but have to wait and see if they can even get to another sb much less win it

kumizi

Reaction score
What an awesome thread. Thanks

I barely have the attention span to read your entire post. No way I would've read the book.

dckid

Reaction score
I believe Jimmys draft grading guide has since been far surpassed.
Well of course he started it in 1989! The fact that it still gets mentioned all the time is amazing. I hear draft experts and teams bring it up all the time.

dckid

Reaction score
Exactly right.

How many NFC have not made a championship game since 1995 season?
Detroit Lions, Washington Commanders , then Dallas

In the whole NFL add Cincy, Cleveland, Miami & Buffalo

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Another random fact I left out was Jimmy fell in love with city life while coaching at the University of Pittsburgh. Made him realize that coaching in towns like Norman and Stillwater, OK, Ames, Iowa, and even Picayune, MS were small potatoes.

While at Pittsburgh, he developed a close, almost odd relationship with LB Hugh Green, and, at one point, he and his first wife came close to completing paperwork to legally adopt him. They ultimately decided that legally adopting someone over the age of 18 was basically a formality and ended up not going through with it.

Valkyr

Reaction score
The Chargers... Lol.... hahahahaahahhahah Humpries, Natrone Means & Pupunu. One of the weakest SB teams ever.
Stan Humphries always looked like a baby doll's head in a football helmet

91b37ad23d76233a67878813836129d3.jpg

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Jimmy would sign Jadaveon Clowney.

Jimmy loves speed and playmaking - was not stuck on sacks.

plasticman

Reaction score
Some other facts that I picked up were that Jimmy and Jerry were roommates during away games but not out of friendship. The coach simply arranged roommates in alphabetical order......Johnson...Jones....

In 1989 when Jones hired Johnson, a lot was made by Jones of the fact that they were roommates early.

As far as Jimmy's divorce to his first wife, Jimmy had mentioned long ago that he realized the only way he was going to succeed was 100% focus and very long nights sleeping in his office, He knew that would be unfair to his wife, that she would essentially have no husband.