Just got into slow cookers

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
About a month ago I got a really nice slow cooker.
So far I've made ,

Pepper steak
chicken and dumplings
chicken spaghetti
pot roast
beef stew.

Anyone else do any slow cooker cooking and whats some of your favorite recipes ?

Congratulations my Friend, you've taken the first step on your path towards enlightenment. Now, just wait till you find out about pressure cookers..............

:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Got a slow cooker? Get a this.
71zMilu-I0L._AC_UY218_.jpg

There's many good slow cooker recipe books worth trying.
Yep and Instant Pot ones as well. And air fryer ones too. If someone can read and has the initiative, they can cook anything they want. Anyone can be a good cook. Now, great cooks, they're different because they can create but there is no reason for anyone not being a good cook, if that's important to them.

Xelda

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll get it. I been getting some good recipes off a slow cooker Facebook group.
I don't remember what the recipe was, but it used a can of orange juice concentrate and was really good. I'd put 5 ingredients in the slow cooker and think it looked disgusting and would never work. The finished project was extra tasty though. I gave my crock pot away along with the book. I think it was the one I linked, but I am certain about those 5 ingredients. I was a genius in the kitchen for a short period of time. These days you could probably find variations of those recipes on line. Now that I think about it, I should probably get another slow cooker. Amazon, prepare yourself.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't remember what the recipe was, but it used a can of orange juice concentrate and was really good. I'd put 5 ingredients in the slow cooker and think it looked disgusting and would never work. The finished project was extra tasty though. I gave my crock pot away along with the book. I think it was the one I linked, but I am certain about those 5 ingredients. I was a genius in the kitchen for a short period of time. These days you could probably find variations of those recipes on line. Now that I think about it, I should probably get another slow cooker. Amazon, prepare yourself.
Why did you give it away?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Speaking of Instapot, I find that the slow cooker setting sucks no matter what I set the timer to. I always have to finish off whatever is cooking with the pressure cooker setting.

I tried beef tips the other day(not in my real crockpot) and cooked for 10 hours. It was barely cooked and had to finish with pressure for 25 minutes. Maybe my Insta isn’t functioning properly?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speaking of Instapot, I find that the slow cooker setting sucks no matter what I set the timer to. I always have to finish off whatever is cooking with the pressure cooker setting.

I tried beef tips the other day(not in my real crockpot) and cooked for 10 hours. It was barely cooked and had to finish with pressure for 25 minutes. Maybe my Insta isn’t functioning properly?
I use America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country for recommendations and have found them to be really good. According to them, the worst function of the Instant Pot is the slow cooker one. It really should be used as the pressure cooker part of it. Use a slow cooker for the slow cooker.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score

Nope same problem and cooking the same thing. I made beef tips first with the pressure cooker. Just browned them then pressure cooked them and they came out great. Then I decided to try some barbacoa. Since I was using larger chunks of meat I decided to slow cook them all day. I did the sautee method first to brown and then switched it to slow cooker and left it for 8 hours. They were tough as a shoe. I shredded the meat, stuck it under the broiler to crisp, and made some descent tacos but it wasn't what I was hoping for. It's the only thing I've found about the Instant pot that I don't like. I did shrimp boil for my first time in it this weekend and it came out awesome.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hell, I heard that couples getting married are having a prenup regarding the slow cooker and Instant Pot.

I gotta say, this Phillip's Air Fryer's a charmer too.

Xelda

Reaction score
Why did you give it away?
I knew someone that really needed it. I went to Amazon and ordered another one today along with the book I'd posted a picture of. I'm not great at fixing but a pro at forgetting. Cooks Country is good stuff and I have some of their regular books. I might have to check it out.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew someone that really needed it. I went to Amazon and ordered another one today along with the book I'd posted a picture of. I'm not great at fixing but a pro at forgetting. Cooks Country is good stuff and I have some of their regular books. I might have to check it out.
The guy that started Cook's and ATK has a new venture, Milk Street Television, with a cooking show like the others on PBS and a mag like Cook's. It's more international so I still prefer the other two.

I like cooking shows, always have going back to Julia Child, the Galloping Gourmet getting hammered and John Folse, the best Louisiana chef. Mexico, One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless, Project Fire with Steve Raichlen, THE Godfather of grilling and smoking and the best Italian cooking show I've seen, Lidia's Kitchen. I like it when she has her Mom on there, who immigrated from the Old Country, getting buzzed and singing at 90 years old. However, I don't like the two cooking channels with all of that "reality" programming.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
The guy that started Cook's and ATK has a new venture, Milk Street Television, with a cooking show like the others on PBS and a mag like Cook's. It's more international so I still prefer the other two.

I like cooking shows, always have going back to Julia Child, the Galloping Gourmet getting hammered and John Folse, the best Louisiana chef. Mexico, One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless, Project Fire with Steve Raichlen, THE Godfather of grilling and smoking and the best Italian cooking show I've seen, Lidia's Kitchen. I like it when she has her Mom on there, who immigrated from the Old Country, getting buzzed and singing at 90 years old. However, I don't like the two cooking channels with all of that "reality" programming.

I like Rick Bayless a lot. I use his recipes off the Frontera website pretty often. He gets deep into Mexican cuisine and from varying regions. I do like the cooking channels. I don't really like the reality stuff that much but I do really like Diners Drive Ins and Dives minus the host. I like Chopped too. Open your baskets and we have eel, hemp butter, strawberry twizzlers, and watercress now go make something delicious.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Rick Bayless a lot. I use his recipes off the Frontera website pretty often. He gets deep into Mexican cuisine and from varying regions. I do like the cooking channels. I don't really like the reality stuff that much but I do really like Diners Drive Ins and Dives minus the host. I like Chopped too. Open your baskets and we have eel, hemp butter, strawberry twizzlers, and watercress now go make something delicious.
I dig that garden on top of his place in Chicago. He scored Best Restaurant in America in 2019 for his place in NYC and that's not the first time he's won that.

If you like to grill or smoke, catch Steve Raichlen. Besides being about the best at it, he has every manwantneed backyard rig you can imagine and fires at least 3 of them up in most shows and he'll cook in the coals.

What I don't like about Bayless and Raichlen is how in the hell do they stay that size? At least Emeril inflated.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I just bought a croc pot off of amazon...I have yet to use it. Maybe today....

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Mississippi-Pulled-Pork-2.jpg
Pork and pepperchinos is our Favorite. Discover slower cooker condoms. Makes life easy and you can pour leftover stock to save to start a soup. Makes clean up a breeze. I no longer hate my slow cooker..:):thumbup:

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSPgyMrTQsLwu-FPfi_Jt4L1mJc1AGW3oX8ds65vHwzJO9WmiznfV7j7wQiC9EoLfnm3VHbRCE&usqp=CAc

HungryLion

Reaction score
Pulled Pork.

Just put a pork roast (shoulder or butt) into a slow cooker with about an inch of water and an onion (halved is find). Let it slow cook for about 4 hours or until is falls apart with a fork. take it out, throw the onion away. Shred the pork roast and put it back in the slow cooker. Empty a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce into the cooker and mix it up with the port. Let if simmer for another 15-20 minutes. fork some onto a hard roll and top it with cole slaw. I usually make my own.

A small pork roast will make 5 or 6 sandwiches. It's not the professional pulled pork cooked on a smoker for 16 hours, but you will like this in a pinch.

We make pulled pork in a crock pot all the time.

I suggest adding a beer vs adding water to
Cook it in. Cooking it in beer adds some
Real nice flavor to the pork.