Just Landed in Houston ...

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Fellas, can ya help a brotha out?

Just landed in Houston for a business trip. Never been here before (I'm a Philly boy). I've been to Dallas and El Paso, but never Houston.

Any advice on site-seeing/restaurants/night life?

Thanks.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BulletBob said:

Just landed in Houston for a business trip. Never been here before (I'm a Philly boy). I've been to Dallas and El Paso, but never Houston.

Thanks.
I'm not a fella, but I live here. What are you looking to get into?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BulletBob said:

Thanks.
My condolences :D

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
I'm not a fella, but I live here. What are you looking to get into?

Sorry for the chauvenistic assumption, WG. :eek:

Nice to see everyone's mind is in the gutter ...

What's the best steak-house in town?

How about Italian restaurant?

Any local cuisine that is a must-have?

Thanks.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BulletBob said:
Sorry for the chauvenistic assumption, WG. :eek:

Nice to see everyone's mind is in the gutter ...

What's the best steak-house in town?

How about Italian restaurant?

Any local cuisine that is a must-have?

Thanks.
I don't eat beef, but I hear Vic and Anthony's is the best in town. That's downtown. But this is Tx, not too many places you can go wrong. You got the standards Outback Steakhouse, Saltgrass, and Texas Land and Cattle.

I'm not a connosseiur (sp) on Italian, I just know what I've liked in the past. For cheap, you can do Olive Garden and Bayou City Seafood and Pasta (off Richmond by the Galleria, a little small, but the food is great). Some I've heard are decent are Birraporetti's (downtown) and Buca Di Beppo (only one I know is in Greenway Plaza, by the Galleria).

As for local cuisine, Houston wasn't named the fattest city for nothing.:cool: It's a restaurant of some origin on almost every corner.
  • For Barbecue, people seem to like Goode Company off Kirby. I
  • For Chinese, my fav is PF Changs.
  • For Jamaican food, if you don't mind a little culture, there's a place called Reggae Hut on Almeda by the museum district and Fusion Cafe (never been there, but it's off Allabama and Main by downtown).
  • For Indian food, best I had was Bombay Brasserie off Richmond behind the Galleria.
  • For seafood, well in a pinch, Pappadeaux's is decent.
  • For soul food, This is it Restaurant off W. Gray and the Family Cafe (closest would be downtown, the other one if you don't mind a little culture is down the street from Texas Southern University and the University of Houston)
  • For Thai food, Nit Noi in the Rice Village and Mai Thai off Kirby are good places
Well, those are all I can think of for now. A co-worker told me about a carribean restaurant, but I don't remember the name. Doesn't do you any good right now, though, huh?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TLW47 said:
The Aquarium downtown is nice I hear.
Yeah I forgot about that one, too.

Another one is Buffalo Wild Wings or BW3's for all kinds of hot wings.

For overpriced Mexican, Pappasito's and Guadalajara (sp). Molina's is ok off Buffalo Speedway.
For Tex Mex, you have Ninfa's and Monterey's Tex Mex.
For cheaper version of Pappadeaux's go to Boudreaux's (several locations).

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WG...please don't tell me you are a vegetarian.

Not that it really matters, just picking on ya. :D

Oh and it has been YEARS since I have been to houston....so I do not know if these are still there.

Astroworld is a nice amusement Park
and one could go Ice Skating at the Galleria Mall.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
WG...please don't tell me you are a vegetarian.

Not that it really matters, just picking on ya. :D

Oh and it has been YEARS since I have been to houston....so I do not know if these are still there.

Astroworld is a nice amusement Park
and one could go Ice Skating at the Galleria Mall.
nah, not a vegeterian...lol I do the chicken, turkey, fish thing.

Astroworld is still here. That whole complex used to be called Astro Park, but now it's Reliant Park, because Reliant Energy bought the naming rights. Can't miss Reliant stadium for anything. Find that and you find Astroworld. Might be closed though. Offseason, ya know?

Yeah and the Galleria Mall is great for shopping. He just missed out on a going out of business sell for Lord & Taylor. 70, 80, 90% off... Yes I was there. ;)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
K19 said:
My thoughts exactly along with "enjoy the traffic"
I'd avoid the 610 loop. I know too many visitors who have traveled the whole thing. Yao Ming was even late to a game once because he got caught in traffic...lol

k19

Reaction score
TLW47 said:
The Aquarium downtown is nice I hear.

NASA Space center is one of my favorite places to go down there.
http://www.spacecenter.org/

Kemah Boardwalk has a lot of good places for seafood among other things
http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

I like Buca De Beppo for Italian, its on Buffalo Highway. The are a nation wide chain now BUT higly recommended for family style Italian Imigrant dining
Address
http://www.bucadibeppo.com/loc_details.asp?ID=4402

Menu
http://www.bucadibeppo.com/fd_index.asp

I like the aquarium. Not as nice as Texas state aquarium in Chorpus but still nice
http://www.downtownaquarium.com/home.htm

Galleria Mall is a nice place to troll around and look at things most people cant afford
http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=805

Take a run to Galveston and check out the Beach and Moddy Gardens
http://www.moodygardens.com/

On a side note........

Michelle have you ever been to Luthers or Williams smokehouse (on Wheatley)for BBQ?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
K19 said:
On a side note........

Michelle have you ever been to Luthers or Williams smokehouse (on Wheatley)for BBQ?
I've been to Luthers, but not in a long while. (In Fort Worth, it's called Colters) I'm kinda partial to homemade barbecue. So I don't go buy it. I have someone do it for me, cuz I don't know how. My mom makes the best, but she doesn't live here... :(

Haven't tried Williams, will have to put that on my list of things to do.

k19

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
I've been to Luthers, but not in a long while. (In Fort Worth, it's called Colters) I'm kinda partial to homemade barbecue. So I don't go buy it. I have someone do it for me, cuz I don't know how. My mom makes the best, but she doesn't live here... :(

Haven't tried Williams, will have to put that on my list of things to do.

Willaims WAS pretty good from what I remember. Let me know what you think of it when you go.

I'm more of a Carolina Style BBQ person (vinegar based) and of course the best BBQ of all time has to be Corky's in Memphis

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
K19 said:
Willaims WAS pretty good from what I remember. Let me know what you think of it when you go.

I'm more of a Carolina Style BBQ person (vinegar based) and of course the best BBQ of all time has to be Corky's in Memphis

My father in law had some Corky's ribs shipped to him, his son lives around memphis.

The smelled pretty darn good...I am not a big fan of BBQ sauce...most of it is too sweet for my taste.

k19

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
My father in law had some Corky's ribs shipped to him, his son lives around memphis.

The smelled pretty darn good...I am not a big fan of BBQ sauce...most of it is too sweet for my taste.

I am not a big sauce person, but I like the vinegar based Carolina style, hate sweet sauce. When I go to Corky's I ALWAYS have the dry ribs.

How good is their BBQ. When I was in the Air Force I used to take an 8 hour drive from OKC to Memphis just to eat and go down to Beale Street. Its just THAT good :D