Just Landed in Houston ...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
K19 said:
I am not a big sauce person, but I like the vinegar based Carolina style, hate sweet sauce. When I go to Corky's I ALWAYS have the dry ribs.

How good is their BBQ. When I was in the Air Force I used to take an 8 hour drive from OKC to Memphis just to eat and go down to Beale Street. Its just THAT good :D

I am the same was as you and bp... nothing worse than ruining a perfectly good slab of ribs with what amounts to a variation of glorified ketchup...

We are actually lucky here... in little old Atlanta, Texas we have what Texas Monthly describes as one of the top 50 Bar-B-Q joints in the state in Tommy's...

Cliff Harris always likes to go there when he is in town...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Or Luther's Bar-B-Q on 1960... :D
There's one downtown on Smith by the library. Not sure it's open on the weekend. I was trying to give the guy advice in central locations. Everyone knows it's a bear getting around down here.

Oh yeah, I also read in the paper last week that they're trying to do some weekly festival in the Market Square downtown.

trickblue

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
There's one downtown on Smith by the library. Not sure it's open on the weekend. I was trying to give the guy advice in central locations. Everyone knows it's a bear getting around down here.

Oh yeah, I also read in the paper last week that they're trying to do some weekly festival in the Market Square downtown.

There are many of them... did a search... you can probably tell him what is closer as I haven't lived in Houston in 20 years...

Luther's Bar-B-Q - Downtown
1100 Smith Street
Houston, TX 77002
713-759-0018

Luther's Bar-B-Q - North
3814 Little York Road
Houston, TX 77093
713-697-4417

Luther's Bar-B-Q - North
703 Fm 1960 Road West
Houston, TX 77090
281-893-5711

Luther's Bar-B-Q - North
703 Fm 1960 Road West
Houston, TX 77090
281-893-7236

Luther's Bar-B-Q - South
8777 South Main Street
Houston, TX 77025
713-432-1107

Luther's Bar-B-Q - Southeast
8560 Gulf Freeway
Houston, TX 77017
713-947-9927

Luther's Bar-B-Q - Southwest
11311 Fondren Road
Houston, TX 77035
713-721-6360

Luthers Bar B Q
12917 Northwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77040

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
K19 said:
Willaims WAS pretty good from what I remember. Let me know what you think of it when you go.

I'm more of a Carolina Style BBQ person (vinegar based) and of course the best BBQ of all time has to be Corky's in Memphis
AHHHH yes a man with good taste :D

The next time you are in Memphis check out a place called the Rendevous. It's downtown across from the Peabody Hotel. Their dry ribs are as good or better than Corky's.

k19

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
AHHHH yes a man with good taste :D

The next time you are in Memphis check out a place called the Rendevous. It's downtown across from the Peabody Hotel. Their dry ribs are as good or better than Corky's.

Been there, done that. There another place I'd liketo try but it slips my mind. I've been a corkys customer for going on 20 years, 18 to be exact. Some day I need to check out the Elvis hangout that has pulled pork pizzas :D

I miss Memphis LOTS. I need to head that way as soon as this cancer situation slows down. About an 8 hour drive from me now but well worth it

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
K19 said:
Been there, done that. There another place I'd liketo try but it slips my mind. I've been a corkys customer for going on 20 years, 18 to be exact. Some day I need to check out the Elvis hangout that has pulled pork pizzas :D

I miss Memphis LOTS. I need to head that way as soon as this cancer situation slows down. About an 8 hour drive from me now but well worth it
EP's on Beale closed down a couple of years ago.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
K19 said:

Order from there instead of going that far.

When my father in law got that order from his son, there was an order form in there where he could make future orders.

They send it all ready to go, you just have to pop it into the oven or throw it on a grill.

I am pretty sure that is the same place he got it from.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

When my father in law got that order from his son, there was an order form in there where he could make future orders.

They send it all ready to go, you just have to pop it into the oven or throw it on a grill.

http://www.corkysbbq.com

k19

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Its just not the same BP, the part of it is just sitting there and smelling everything. We use to get the packaged stuff, same as what the send you when you order, at Kroger or Safeway (maybe piuggly wiggly) when we were there and take it home but like I said its not the same, kinda a cheap imitation if you know what I mean.

They have things you cant get online there too. They now have their own beer I love their spaghetti, its definitely different.

Whatcha think bout the spaghetti at Corkys Yeag?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
K19 said:
Its just not the same BP, the part of it is just sitting there and smelling everything. We use to get the packaged stuff, same as what the send you when you order, at Kroger or Safeway (maybe piuggly wiggly) when we were there and take it home but like I said its not the same, kinda a cheap imitation if you know what I mean.

They have things you cant get online there too. They now have their own beer I love their spaghetti, its definitely different.

Whatcha think bout the spaghetti at Corkys Yeag?
The spaghetti is ok. The stuff you buy in the store is no where near the quality you'd get by ordering it online.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
You guys are the best.

Thanks for all of the suggestions (esp WG, K-19, Trick).

So far, we've eaten some Cajun (The Happy Cajun?), and some Steak (Vic & Anthony's). We also spent some time hanging around the Kemah (sp?) Boardwalk area, which is similar to the Jersey Shore (on a smaller scale).

By the way, I feel skinny here (and I'm not what you would normally classify a thin guy).

The people are extremely friendly - gotta love you Texans!

Thanks again.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BulletBob said:
You guys are the best.

So far, we've eaten some Cajun (The Happy Cajun?), and some Steak (Vic & Anthony's). We also spent some time hanging around the Kemah (sp?) Boardwalk area, which is similar to the Jersey Shore (on a smaller scale).

By the way, I feel skinny here (and I'm not what you would normally classify a thin guy).

Thanks again.
Glad you're enjoying trip. I'm sure it's a plus that the weather has been in the 70s and 80s with a cool front to possibly lower it to wintry 60 degrees.

trickblue

Reaction score
BulletBob said:
You guys are the best.

Thanks again.

Kemah is a nice little place.... there is a nice Bass Pro SHop in Katy... and you aren't too far from Galveston...

Most are taken aback at how friendly and congenial that Texans and Southerners are in general... glad you are enjoying yourself... We are VERY proud of our state...

Duane

Reaction score
BulletBob said:
You guys are the best.

Thanks again.
If you like cajun food the best I have found in the area is called "Little Cajun Cuisine" and I go to New Orleans quite a bit on business so I know good cajun food...http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv2346.asp

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Probably to late but go cruise Westheimer for good food and such....

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Yea late here but if you are ever come back

For beer it is a pub Richmond Arms off Richmond near the galleria area.
It has 80+ beers on tap and they serve a scottish eggs. It is an instant heartattack but who can say no to a harboilled egg wrapped in bacon and deep fired

Steak Taste of Texas is good but procey if you want a good steak in a decent price the Texas Land and cattle chain is good.

If you want South Amnerican (not mexican) food there is America's in Galleria.

The Rainforest Cafe of I-10 Katy area is good and a novelty.