Just maybe The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have. Our situation is this, 1. Our QB isn't good enough to take that big of a cut of the cap space and we win a super bowl. 2. You can't field the kind of team around him to win it for the same reason. So what do you do? Resign him and continue to be mediocre, or roll the dice let him walk next year and start a soft rebuild this year? With the way they have approached Free agency so far the writing is on the wall.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If they roll the dice and let him walk after next season, things will likely get much worse than they are now and that could last a number of years unless we get lucky with another QB. At Jerry’s age I’m not sure he’s going to be willing to take that gamble.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have. Our situation is this, 1. Our QB isn't good enough to take that big of a cut of the cap space and we win a super bowl. 2. You can't field the kind of team around him to win it for the same reason. So what do you do? Resign him and continue to be mediocre, or roll the dice let him walk next year and start a soft rebuild this year? With the way they have approached Free agency so far the writing is on the wall.
so it took 29 years for them to figure out they can't build a winning team?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Will they get better if we extend him. I think I'd rather draft 2 QBs a year than do that.
They certainly won’t get better if they don’t extend him and end up with a lesser QB. It’s also going to be hard getting better drafting 2 QBs a year when you only have 7 draft picks. That wouldn’t be a smart approach. We need players on the field, not carrying clipboards.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If they roll the dice and let him walk after next season, things will likely get much worse than they are now and that could last a number of years unless we get lucky with another QB. At Jerry’s age I’m not sure he’s going to be willing to take that gamble.
Definitely, but if it’s at the stage where Prescotts salary is too high to surround him with the necessary players to go deep into the playoffs, whats the point?

It’s difficult to have sustained success in the NFL even if you’re not voluntarily hamstringing yourself. The entire system, from drafting to schedules to salary cap is set up to reward failure and penalize success….regular season that is.

Typically you have to stink for a little while rebuilding your team through the draft, then supplement around it once the window opens before it shuts again because you’ve been drafting late, and can’t sign every good player long term.

Maybe it’s time to understand that this team is on the cusp of some down seasons, but it’ll eventually put us into a spot to land the next QB.

For the record….I’m 100% certain Cowboys management doesn’t not see it that way.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Resign him and continue to be mediocre, or roll the dice let him walk next year and start a soft rebuild this year?
I have a problem with letting QB1 walk. If they're going to move on from Dak they need to facilitate a trade to maximum ROI. Letting Dude walk is a 3rd comp pick barf...while, a trade is multiple premium picks and a player or two.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Definitely, but if it’s at the stage where Prescotts salary is too high to surround him with the necessary players to go deep into the playoffs, whats the point?

It’s difficult to have sustained success in the NFL even if you’re not voluntarily hamstringing yourself. The entire system, from drafting to schedules to salary cap is set up to reward failure and penalize success….regular season that is.

Typically you have to stink for a little while rebuilding your team through the draft, then supplement around it once the window opens before it shuts again because you’ve been drafting late, and can’t sign every good player long term.

Maybe it’s time to understand that this team is on the cusp of some down seasons, but it’ll eventually put us into a spot to land the next QB.

For the record….I’m 100% certain Cowboys management doesn’t not see it that way.
No guarantees you can surround Dak with the necessary players because we don’t sign high priced free agents and we bank mostly on the draft. We got practically nothing from last years draft class. We may stink for more than a little while trying to find a better QB than Dak. It could take a number of years. The Cowboys struggled for 5 years trying to replace Aikman. You can go much longer than that, just look at some of the teams around the league like the Jets. They’ve had two top 5 QBs go bust in less than 7 years. We certainly weren’t on the cusp of some down seasons after our third straight 12 win season, but we look like we’re on the cusp now with the number of players we’ve lost and our lack of filling some of those holes with quality free agents.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
People say "at Jerry's age" all the time like it means anything Jerry has purposefully not done what he needs to do to win it all for almost two decades. He could have had probably 2 more rings since 2016 if he had just given up some control to a real coach. He's not worried about it now.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I think the Jones boys have come to the conclusion that Dak has all the leverage, and they are very unhappy about that, infact it's an embarrasment to their egos. so what I think will happen, they will offer him a fair market contract, and get rid of the no trade clause, if he doesn't accept, then he will go with the rest of the coaching staff and players who are all on one year deals. If it were me I would trade him before the draft unless I thought he might agree to the above terms.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's like a remodel. Maybe your place is functional...just not to your liking. Things get MUCH worse before they get better.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Jones boys have come to the conclusion that Dak has all the leverage, and they are very unhappy about that, infact it's an embarrasment to their egos. so what I think will happen, they will offer him a fair market contract, and get rid of the no trade clause, if he doesn't accept, then he will go with the rest of the coaching staff and players who are all on one year deals. If it were me I would trade him before the draft unless I thought he might agree to the above terms.
If he's as good as... some people..... say...why not trade him?

Either he's not good enough or his contract is bloated. If it's not good enough for other teams why is it good enough for us?

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
No guarantees you can surround Dak with the necessary players because we don’t sign high priced free agents and we bank mostly on the draft. We got practically nothing from last years draft class. We may stink for more than a little while trying to find a better QB than Dak. It could take a number of years. The Cowboys struggled for 5 years trying to replace Aikman. You can go much longer than that, just look at some of the teams around the league like the Jets. They’ve had two top 5 QBs go bust in less than 7 years. We certainly weren’t on the cusp of some down seasons after our third straight 12 win season, but we look like we’re on the cusp now with the number of players we’ve lost and our lack of filling some of those holes with quality free agents.
More like we can't sign high price Free Agents because our QB accounts for 20% of our cap space

CowboyChris

Reaction score
If he's as good as... some people..... say...why not trade him?

Either he's not good enough or his contract is bloated. If it's not good enough for other teams why is it good enough for us?
convince Jerry of that, I gave my opinion on what Jerry and Steven will, along with what I think they should do.