Just maybe The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have

Steve007

Reaction score
I want to believe this theory but the Jones’ just seem too in love with the guy to let him go for nothing. I see a massive extension that probably has the no trade clause taken out.
I'm afraid your right. The only hope is for change. We will get hopefull of change and then Jerry will give Dak his big extension and kill all hope. If they give Dak his big contract then the Cowboys are doomed to at best a one and done team.

kskboys

Reaction score
“Since the Ring of Honor, I am on his [Jerry Jones's] advisory board now,” Johnson said, possibly with a hint of sarcasm, on WQAM 560 AM in Miami, per the Cowboys team site.

Johnson said the line with a chuckle but added that the two are back to talking football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/20/jimmy-johnson-says-hes-back-cowboys-owner-jerry-joness-good-graces#:~:text=I am back in the,the two Hall of Famers.

It was sarcasm and a joke!!! If you people think there's more to this than it actually is, then you're delusional
The delusional ones are the ones who scream their conjecture w/ no basis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Same thing people like you said to excuse Garrett’s mediocrity for years and years when some of us were begging to let him go

The hope of improvement is better than tried and tested mediocrity and that too at 60 million per year

Just get rid of him
You have the wrong poster if you think I supported Garrett. That’s a bunch of BS! You’ll never find a post from me making excuses for him. I never wanted him as HC and constantly bashed him, hoping Jerry would give up on him and rid of him. I couldn’t stand Garrett.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have. Our situation is this, 1. Our QB isn't good enough to take that big of a cut of the cap space and we win a super bowl. 2. You can't field the kind of team around him to win it for the same reason. So what do you do? Resign him and continue to be mediocre, or roll the dice let him walk next year and start a soft rebuild this year? With the way they have approached Free agency so far the writing is on the wall.
If they came to the same conclusion as the rest of the known universe, they would fire themselves and hire professionals to run the team.

ICP

Reaction score
Not possible, they are too stupid and arrogant to do so. The other option is even worse, they have realized this for awhile and just try to string fans along to get as many sales out if them that they can.

plymkr

Reaction score
I think the Jones boys have come to the conclusion that Dak has all the leverage, and they are very unhappy about that, infact it's an embarrasment to their egos. so what I think will happen, they will offer him a fair market contract, and get rid of the no trade clause, if he doesn't accept, then he will go with the rest of the coaching staff and players who are all on one year deals. If it were me I would trade him before the draft unless I thought he might agree to the above terms.
I think you nailed it. Dak beat Jerry in last contract’s negotiations. If we won the Super Bowl sometime under said contract then it would have been okay. But since Dak’s play significantly declined in the playoffs and we haven’t won I don’t believe Jerry will not allow himself to be boat raced in negotiations again. Jerry got embarrassed at the negotiating table and has nothing to show for it. If Francis tries that again, especially after the GB loss, Jerry may say nope and let him play out his contract. Or trade him if Dak waves his NTC.

Everyone keeps saying Dak has all the leverage. Well I think Dak lost some leverage when Lance was traded for and when we got embarrassed in the playoffs. Jerry wants to be THEE GUY and he’s responsible for trading for Lance and if Dak and Francis get greedy Jerry may give Lance a shot.

khiladi

Reaction score
You can’t sign Dak to any kind of team to win a SB. The guy doesn’t have what it takes to play consistently good enough against play-off caliber teams to win multiple weeks in a row. And before anybody talks about the Ravens, that era is over and we are in the QB-friendliest era of all time.

Dak leaves large stretches of pla every regular season that he’s the same QB and hit his ceiling long ago. The beating you of very bad teams constantly masks his bad play.

People acting like he was MVP the whole season already, when they had to change the offense in the bye and he was struggling going into the playoffs, until he ended the season against a horrible Commanders team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have. Our situation is this, 1. Our QB isn't good enough to take that big of a cut of the cap space and we win a super bowl. 2. You can't field the kind of team around him to win it for the same reason. So what do you do? Resign him and continue to be mediocre, or roll the dice let him walk next year and start a soft rebuild this year? With the way they have approached Free agency so far the writing is on the wall.
Nah, Dak Prescott is only 4,750 passing yards away (could possibly do it this upcoming 2024 season) from becoming the Dallas Cowboys All Time franchise passing leader. Also, Dak is about to break all of Tony Romo's franchise statistical records as well. Plus, Dak just had arguably the best statistical year of his 8 year career, he was deservedly named an All Pro and led the team to a franchise record back-to-back-to-back 12 win regular seasons.

Yep, the writing is on the wall.........to get resigned for another 4-5 years.........and deservedly so.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think you nailed it. Dak beat Jerry in last contract’s negotiations. If we won the Super Bowl sometime under said contract then it would have been okay. But since Dak’s play significantly declined in the playoffs and we haven’t won I don’t believe Jerry will not allow himself to be boat raced in negotiations again. Jerry got embarrassed at the negotiating table and has nothing to show for it. If Francis tries that again, especially after the GB loss, Jerry may say nope and let him play out his contract. Or trade him if Dak waves his NTC.

Everyone keeps saying Dak has all the leverage. Well I think Dak lost some leverage when Lance was traded for and when we got embarrassed in the playoffs. Jerry wants to be THEE GUY and he’s responsible for trading for Lance and if Dak and Francis get greedy Jerry may give Lance a shot.
:lmao: :laugh: :facepalm: :laugh::lmao:

tunahelper

Reaction score
My take:

Their goal is to maintain relevance by winning enough games to keep fans interested. They are more interested in filling the stadium than winning a SB title. Jerry mortgage the farm whem he self financed the stadium and he operates the team to make money and pay the bills. So balanced budgets means steady roster building and a QB that can win games and sell the narrative. Dak will get paid!

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
If that were the case, trade him. Kickoff the rebuild with actual ammuntion for the future, not just hope and dreams that youll luck your way into another franchise QB

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jones have "eyes" and after 3 terrible playoff performances by Mr. MVP even their slim football minds figured out he's NOT the one.
Enough of having to make every move possible to carry this most average QB.
The End.................

kevm3

Reaction score
lol why does anyone think bringing in a rookie qb and giving him a Jerry friendly, yes coach and a Stephen Jones laden bargain player team is going to bring us a superbowl? Let's say we take a QB this year. Do you think giving him a team with no real RB1, several holes on the O-line, a compromised defense lacking lbs is going to be a formula for success? "Fans" are just going to bash the new guy when the softly coached team with several deficits of talent starts to stink.

If the Eagles can win with Foles and the Giants with Eli Manning, the Cowboys can win with Dak. The difference is, the Eagles especially, have an AGGRESSIVE FO that values performance.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they roll the dice and let him walk after next season, things will likely get much worse than they are now and that could last a number of years unless we get lucky with another QB. At Jerry’s age I’m not sure he’s going to be willing to take that gamble.
Oh no I’d hate to get high draft picks and potentially draft a young franchise QB.

I’d rather continue this path of not being good enough.

kskboys

Reaction score
lol why does anyone think bringing in a rookie qb and giving him a Jerry friendly, yes coach and a Stephen Jones laden bargain player team is going to bring us a superbowl? Let's say we take a QB this year. Do you think giving him a team with no real RB1, several holes on the O-line, a compromised defense lacking lbs is going to be a formula for success? "Fans" are just going to bash the new guy when the softly coached team with several deficits of talent starts to stink.

If the Eagles can win with Foles and the Giants with Eli Manning, the Cowboys can win with Dak. The difference is, the Eagles especially, have an AGGRESSIVE FO that values performance.
Both won w/ great DLines. Jerry doesn't value DLiners.

jujoboys

Reaction score
If this is their belief then they are screwing it up again. He should be on the trade block if that is their belief. What did the Eagles do when they realized Carson Wentz wasn't the guy. They put him on the trade block and got valuable draft picks for him. Why would Jerry keep Dak around for another year and let him walk so we only get a 3rd round comp pick in 2026? I know some of you are going to come back and say that Dak can only be traded if he agrees to a trade. However, if Jerry told Dak he didn't think Dak was their guy then I am sure he would be willing to go somewhere else and start over.

Unfortunately I think this is just Jerry slow playing contract negotiations with Dak. Dallas was never going to be big players in free agency. Everyone should have known they weren't sold on Biadasz and they had already hinted that Tyron would not be back. They were never going to invest big money in Pollard or Armstrong. We knew Gallup ,was toast because production didn't warrant expense.

There is no hurry to restructure any other players because they have $5.5 in CAP space right now so they can sign any C level free agent on their wish list with that money They have another $9.5 million in cap space that hits June 1st for Gallup. If they need additional cap space then they always have Diggs for restructure. I don't see them restructuring DLaw as I think this is his last year with Dallas. No need to extend Lamb right now because they will have him cheap at $17 million this year and don't need any cap space from an extension. They can always tag him next year and then work out a contract. Parsons already got hit with the 5th year option next year so they have him covered and could always tag him in 2026.

kskboys

Reaction score
If this is their belief then they are screwing it up again. He should be on the trade block if that is their belief. What did the Eagles do when they realized Carson Wentz wasn't the guy. They put him on the trade block and got valuable draft picks for him. Why would Jerry keep Dak around for another year and let him walk so we only get a 3rd round comp pick in 2026? I know some of you are going to come back and say that Dak can only be traded if he agrees to a trade. However, if Jerry told Dak he didn't think Dak was their guy then I am sure he would be willing to go somewhere else and start over.

Unfortunately I think this is just Jerry slow playing contract negotiations with Dak. Dallas was never going to be big players in free agency. Everyone should have known they weren't sold on Biadasz and they had already hinted that Tyron would not be back. They were never going to invest big money in Pollard or Armstrong. We knew Gallup ,was toast because production didn't warrant expense.

There is no hurry to restructure any other players because they have $5.5 in CAP space right now so they can sign any C level free agent on their wish list with that money They have another $9.5 million in cap space that hits June 1st for Gallup. If they need additional cap space then they always have Diggs for restructure. I don't see them restructuring DLaw as I think this is his last year with Dallas. No need to extend Lamb right now because they will have him cheap at $17 million this year and don't need any cap space from an extension. They can always tag him next year and then work out a contract. Parsons already got hit with the 5th year option next year so they have him covered and could always tag him in 2026.
Correct. Right now, Dak would bring a 1st plus. If we're not going to extend him, it's blatantly stupid to let him play out his contract and get maybe some late 3rd.

The existing cap space is barely enough to sign our draft picks.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Correct. Right now, Dak would bring a 1st plus. If we're not going to extend him, it's blatantly stupid to let him play out his contract and get maybe some late 3rd.

The existing cap space is barely enough to sign our draft picks.
We have $5.5 million cap space right now and add $9.5 million on June 1st. That's $15 million which is way more than what we need to sign draft picks. We just wait until June to sign the draft class. If you want more space then just convert Trevon Diggs' salary into a bonus and boom you have another $8 million of cap space. That would give you $23 million in CAP space.

Also, our rookies shouldn't require much CAP space this year. Our 24th pick may be $3 million cap space, 56th pick $1.2 million cap space, and the other 5 picks combined about $5 million in Cap space. So you have about $9.2 million cap space wrapped up in rookies. However, to get those 7 players on the roster then you must remove 7 players who are already counting against the cap. Say each of those 7 you are removing are lesser paid and only counting $800K each against the cap. Then you remove that $5.6 million (7 players at $800K) off your cap. So even though the rookie draft picks are using $9.2 million cap space you already had $5.6 million of that being used so we are only taking an additional $3.6 million cap hit by signing our rookie draft class. In the scenario above with restructuring Diggs, we still have almost $20 million of cap space after signing the draft class. Without restructuring Diggs we have about $12 million.