Just received a diagnosis

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
...and I've never heard of this before. I'm told I have stage 1 Essential Tremors (ET). My symptoms are shaking of my arms and hands and an inability to stop the shaking. I can feel a constant vibration that never goes away. It gets worse when I'm feeling anxiety. It affects my writing with pen and paper which is why I never do it anymore and it affects anything else I try to do that requires fine motor skills, like pouring water into a glass. It's expected to only get worse over the course of the rest of my life. For now, it's not so bad that I need medication for it but they tell me there is medication for me to take when it gets worse. I believe this is the same thing Ozzy Osbourne was diagnosed with and taking medication for.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of ET or even have experience with it or with a loved one with it. I'm told it can get quite severe but even then there are things they can do to control it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
...and I've never heard of this before. I'm told I have stage 1 Essential Tremors (ET). My symptoms are shaking of my arms and hands and an inability to stop the shaking. I can feel a constant vibration that never goes away. It gets worse when I'm feeling anxiety. It affects my writing with pen and paper which is why I never do it anymore and it affects anything else I try to do that requires fine motor skills, like pouring water into a glass. It's expected to only get worse over the course of the rest of my life. For now, it's not so bad that I need medication for it but they tell me there is medication for me to take when it gets worse. I believe this is the same thing Ozzy Osbourne was diagnosed with and taking medication for.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of ET or even have experience with it or with a loved one with it. I'm told it can get quite severe but even then there are things they can do to control it.

I have not heard of it before now, but I'm sorry to hear that bud. I wish you the best.

Xelda

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
I haven't heard of it before, Joe. The good news is medicine has dealt with enough to name it and have medication for when you do need it. Do what you can to avoid stress if at all possible.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score

Yep, my doctor told me several years ago that I have that as well. However, he never performed any tests. He has since retired and I'm about to see my new PCP about it. It has gotten a lot worse over the last year. It has now started to affect my writing. Eating can be a real ***** sometimes. Chips and hot sauce at the Mexican food place is fun. Ha!

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yep, my doctor told me several years ago that I have that as well. However, he never performed any tests. He has since retired and I'm about to see my new PCP about it. It has gotten a lot worse over the last year. It has now started to affect my writing. Eating can be a real ***** sometimes. Chips and hot sauce at the Mexican food place is fun. Ha!

Sorry to hear that. Is it similar to restless leg syndrome.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this brother! At least it's not Parkinson's or something more severe. How well do the meds work, once it gets to the point of necessity, did they say?
Thanks... very much appreciated. The best testimonial I've heard about the medication was in an article I read about Ozzy Osbourne's diagnosis. He stated once he started taking the medication, it was like flipping a switch... the tremors stopped. I'm hoping for similar results once I get to that level of need.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I can so very much relate to the affected writing and eating problems. I can't even drink my beer out of my favorite frosted mug anymore.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks... very much appreciated. The best testimonial I've heard about the medication was in an article I read about Ozzy Osbourne's diagnosis. He stated once he started taking the medication, it was like flipping a switch... the tremors stopped. I'm hoping for similar results once I get to that level of need.
We'll be crossing our fingers for you, when it comes time to find out!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My sympathies to you too, man. Hopefully, your new doc can fix you up!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hmm, not really. Restless Leg is more of uncomfortable feelings in your legs that make you want to move them. These are actual uncontrollable tremors.
Not really. I don't want to move my legs, it's involuntary...but it only happens when I'm very tired, and once I go to sleep, it's all better.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Hope you can get some relief when it starts getting worse. Prayers for you.